Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Laminate replacement for AXIS - BOYDS

Got the Prairie Hunter for my short action Axis today and was really impressed. However, I did encounter one problem. When you tighten the action bolts, the rear part of the action is pulled too far down into the stock and the trigger would would not cock. Finally I shimmed the flat shelf where the rear action bolt goes through with a washer and everything worked great. Really like the stock!

Basic Member
    I just got home and opened my box and it's the Prairie model and color I wanted but, no custom engraving like I paid and the mag well is too large for my 223 Axis.
    Too late in day to talk to anyone but, I did tell Boyds it was for a .223, guess they might of shipped the wrong stock.
    Will have to get an RA# when they open tomorrow.

If it is a short action the magazine well should work with all short action DBM magazines. My axis is a 243 but I just put in a 223 DBM magazine and it works just fine. Maybe they sent you the wrong stock.
    Last edited by wbm; 10-16-2013 at 07:28 PM.

sales@boydsgunstocks
    Sorry to hear that you received an incorrect stock - I am sending you a PM here on SS detailing my direct contact information to receive an RMA# and expedite the process quickly. I would also be happy to confirm measurements to ensure that the correct stock is being sent as the replacement!

Best Regards - Jen

Quote Originally Posted by mdewitt71 View Post
    I just got home and opened my box and it's the Prairie model and color I wanted but, no custom engraving like I paid and the mag well is too large for my 223 Axis.
    Too late in day to talk to anyone but, I did tell Boyds it was for a .223, guess they might of shipped the wrong stock.
    Will have to get an RA# when they open tomorrow.

jasta
    Would you suggest pillars would be an option for the stock?
    Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    Got the Prairie Hunter for my short action Axis today and was really impressed. However, I did encounter one problem. When you tighten the action bolts, the rear part of the action is pulled too far down into the stock and the trigger would would not cock. Finally I shimmed the flat shelf where the rear action bolt goes through with a washer and everything worked great. Really like the stock!
    You can't ask for better customer service than that! I hope the issue gets sorted out for you fast and easy.

Quote Originally Posted by sales@boydsgunstocks View Post
    Sorry to hear that you received an incorrect stock - I am sending you a PM here on SS detailing my direct contact information to receive an RMA# and expedite the process quickly. I would also be happy to confirm measurements to ensure that the correct stock is being sent as the replacement!

Best Regards - Jen

Mine arrived Wednesday evening, but it was after I went to bed. Still, I got a chance to look at it before going to work. Initial impressions are good!
    Last edited by DrThunder88; 10-17-2013 at 02:28 AM.

ironmk
    Mine still says awaiting shipment, whatever that means? Can't wait for it to show up and try it out!!!!!! Hope it was worth the wait, love my other Boyd's stock so I'm betting it is!!!!!

762X51
    Can somebody post a closeup of the magwell on one of these stocks? I'm curious to know just how the magazine is retained.

Basic Member
    So here is the stock I got in....
    Although it isnt the exact one I ordered it looks GREAT and I figured I would share.....

So now the all important question....which of you guys is going to step up and write a proper review of the new Boyds stocks for me to post up on the website? I'd just ask Jen to send us one to review, but they're not making lefty's yet and I don't think anyone else on our staff owns an Axis.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Although it isnt the exact one I ordered it looks GREAT and I figured I would share.....

Interesting...

I see they hallowed out the forearm to save weight, but for a hunting stock it's actually better to have more weight out front for off-hand shooting. You'll have to let us know how it balances once you get it mated up to your barreled action.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    So now the all important question....which of you guys is going to step up and write a proper review of the new Boyds stocks for me to post up on the website? I'd just ask Jen to send us one to review, but they're not making lefty's yet and I don't think anyone else on our staff owns an Axis.
    Once I get my RA complete, I will be glad to write up a reivew with pics...

On a side note I did get this from Boyds today:

Our records show you have one of the above parts. We are sorry to inconvenience you, however, on the first initial run of these parts, we had a small amount of prototype stocks that were shipped with standard product. These prototype stocks could present a potential dangerous situation of the gun firing when closing the bolt. These stocks can be identified by “one or all” of the following:

1. Bolt will not engage when opening and closing
    2. The tip of the guard screw protrudes thru wood, or is countersunk below the surface of the wood, inside of the inlet. (see detail “A” on drawing)
    3. Dimensions as per included drawing (see detail “B” on drawing). This dimension is from the ledge that the guard screw hole can be seen, to the portion of the stock directly underneath of the safety slide.

If you have one of these stocks, or are unsure if you have one of these stocks, we ask that you return it to us immediately, free of charge via UPS Account # 573121 (Send Attn: RMA Axis Service + Your Order Number), and we’ll replace it for you within 2 working days.

Contact us via email at Service@Boydsgunstocks.com
    By phone at 605-996-5011 ext. 204
    After hours at 605-630-0463
    Or after hours at 605-770-9476

Seems like Boys is quick to respond and has a great cutomer service dept, I am finding it a pleasure to work with this company.

Turns out I didn't get one of the prototypes, and everything went together as expected.

Looks good, feels great, I can't wait to give it a shot!

Seems like Boys is quick to respond and has a great customer service dept, I am finding it a pleasure to work with this company.
    They are that. I got a "prototype" on accident. They caught the error called me about it. They are overnighting me a replacement. Told them they did not need to do that because I solved the minor problem with the stock and was very satisfied with it. They insisted they send me another and gave me a UPS account to send the stock back. I am impressed.

mrrabk
    Got the new stock this morning at the same time the e-mail arrived about the "prototype" issue. Also got a voice mail via cell phone. Talk about great customer service!!!

Measured the depth of "shelf" based on their drawing and looked at the guard screw. Screw is flush and the depth is .795 +/- .001. Sent them an e-mail, but they did not indicate if the .780 measurement was to shallow or to deep. (??) Will not be able to drop the action in until this weekend. Anyone know the issue with the depth? My guess is to shallow. Date stamp near front action screw hole is 9-27-13.

Great looking and feeling stock! Looking forward to taking it out...maybe this weekend if there are no problems.

The Toolman

Boyd's stock

(Post #10 Our inventory system is on the fritz right now - THERE IS INVENTORY! Orders will SHIP THIS WEEK!!!)

I ordered from this Jen person right after that an was assured they had mine in stock an would ship out that day or next.

Yesterday when I called they said it could be 2 weeks to get one now. You'd think they could have at least called or emailed about the delay. They have my # an email addy.

Not real happy about this, the wait don't bother me as much as not telling me the truth or at the least, letting me know about the delay in shipping.

Last edited by The Toolman; 10-17-2013 at 06:45 PM. Reason: changed from today to yesterday, mistake

sales@boydsgunstocks
    Toolman - sent you a PM here on SS, sorry to hear about your delay and would like the opportunity to make this a more pleasant purchasing experience for you! I listed my contact details in the PM. Looking forward to visiting with you!

Jen

Quote Originally Posted by The Toolman View Post
    (Post #10 Our inventory system is on the fritz right now - THERE IS INVENTORY! Orders will SHIP THIS WEEK!!!)

I ordered from this Jen person right after that an was assured they had mine in stock an would ship out that day or next.

Today when I called they said it could be 2 weeks to get one now. You'd think they could have at least called or emailed about the delay. They have my # an email addy.

Not real happy about this, the wait don't bother me as much as not telling me the truth or at the least, letting me know about the delay in shipping.

The Toolman
    Toolman - sent you a PM here on SS, sorry to hear about your delay and would like the opportunity to make this a more pleasant purchasing experience for you! I listed my contact details in the PM. Looking forward to visiting with you!

Jen
    No need for the deal you mentioned in the PM, I'll just wait an see how long you take to get it here.

jasta
    Its good to see that Boyds are onto the issue. I had a phone call from Boyds while I was out washing my Koala and rounding up the Kangaroos in the back of my ute. My stock is still in transit and have been asked to send it back but I think I will see if it fits and works first. Im sure I can fix it, as I want to pillar and bed it anyway, without the expense of sending back to the USA then having another one send back to Oz.

Jen, is there any legal issues that Boyds will have if people want to keep their stock?

jhawk60

Yesterday when I called they said it could be 2 weeks to get one now. You'd think they could have at least called or emailed about the delay. They have my # an email addy.

I too saw the post about the inventory system, so I went ahead and ordered a stock on the 10th, one day after the release of the product. A week later my order status still says "Awaiting Shipment". Uncertainty is the bad thing about ordering things online.

cheapshot
    No need for the deal you mentioned in the PM, I'll just wait an see how long you take to get it here.
    It's always a good idea to keep PM conversations in the PM format. I am sure Jen was trying to make sure you were happy. Boyds is a good company who tries to make sure their customers are happy, I am certain that is what she was trying to do. All of us Axis owners have been waiting a long time for this and I, as many others, knew that the initial run would be bought up very quickly.

mrrabk
    Quick update. Was able to install the action last night and it fit like a dream. No issues with operations of bolt, safety or trigger. I had to loosen and re torque the screws a couple of times to get the barrel reveal centered (to not contact right side of for end) but that was very easy. Barrel floats all the way to the nut as it did in the OE stock, but without the flex. (lol) It's close, but no contact. I used the same spec I was using, and had great luck with, in the factory stock @ 35 in/lbs on both. Will get it out this weekend and run some rounds thru it to see if group size changed, improved, POI move, etc. and will report back. Needed to take the 10 FCP HS out anyway to test some loads, so good excuse to take this one along. LOL
    All I can say is it's a great fitting and feeling stock. The LOP is only about 1/2" shorter than the factory stock and this didn't even change my sight picture/eye relief setting. Pulled up to my shoulder and the picture was spot on.

Alleycat
    Very nice, what color would this stock be?

sales@boydsgunstocks
    This is our Forest Camo :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alleycat View Post
    Very nice, what color would this stock be?

Alleycat
    This is our Forest Camo :-)

Beautiful stock! I keep second guessing if pepper was the right choice. Should go well with stainless I think...
    Also hope it isn’t one of the ones that has to be sent back...lol

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast