Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Thread: Laminate replacement for AXIS - BOYDS

Dirtydeeds

I notice there is a Boyd's rep contributing to this thread. Would it be possible to get a rear view picture of the classic and prairie hunter? I'm looking at ordering either the classic or prairie but do not see any information on the difference in cheek swell between the two styles. The pictures from the left and right do not show much difference in the two other than the prairie seems to be trimmed down behind the cheek riser. The prairie looks like it is thicker but it's hard to be sure from the side. If you could post a picture of the two from the rear that would be awesome.

sales@boydsgunstocks
    Let me see what I can do! Won't be today, but I will try and get you something tomorrow!

Have a good night ~ Jen

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydeeds View Post
    I notice there is a Boyd's rep contributing to this thread. Would it be possible to get a rear view picture of the classic and prairie hunter? I'm looking at ordering either the classic or prairie but do not see any information on the difference in cheek swell between the two styles. The pictures from the left and right do not show much difference in the two other than the prairie seems to be trimmed down behind the cheek riser. The prairie looks like it is thicker but it's hard to be sure from the side. If you could post a picture of the two from the rear that would be awesome.

fmmarlin
    I have the prairie hunter in walnut with the checkering and a limb saver. I love it so far. i have the Timney trigger as well and the stock slid on with no modifications. Great work Boyds

Kanitapja
    Just got my Classic / Axis / Nutmeg / .223 today and it was at the range within an hour. Before firing the first shot, I noticed the problem: The magazine refuses to lock into place. I looked closely, and it appears that the locking plate at the fore end of the magazine well is set too far back - I can post a picture later, if needed. Somebody PLEASE let me know if there's an easy fix for this - It looks like the only honest fix would be to move the front plate forward just a wee bit. I think it's set too far back to consider it OK to shave away at it without adverse affect on its structural integrity.

This stock is otherwise EXACTLY what I've been needing, and it really needs to get busy shooting.

Basic Member
    I don't have a bopyd's stock, but with the 2 SSS stocks I have the magazines when new have always been a little snug at first. Just needed an extra tap with the palm of my hand to seat them. Also with rounds in the mags seat the mag with the bolt open and to the rear.

04silvy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanitapja View Post
    Just got my Classic / Axis / Nutmeg / .223 today and it was at the range within an hour. Before firing the first shot, I noticed the problem: The magazine refuses to lock into place. I looked closely, and it appears that the locking plate at the fore end of the magazine well is set too far back - I can post a picture later, if needed. Somebody PLEASE let me know if there's an easy fix for this - It looks like the only honest fix would be to move the front plate forward just a wee bit. I think it's set too far back to consider it OK to shave away at it without adverse affect on its structural integrity.

This stock is otherwise EXACTLY what I've been needing, and it really needs to get busy shooting.
    This might be an obvious question...but have you contacted Boyds? I would definetly do this before modifying anything. They seem to be top notch on their customer service and l'm sure they will make it right or let you know what you need to do. Btw..i have no problems inserting or locking either one of my magazines in place on my Axis with Boyds tacticool

sales@boydsgunstocks
    Good Morning!

I have forwarded your question on to our Quality/Engineering department - as soon as I have an answer/solution for you I will let you know. Could you please PM me with your order number and contact info in case our head of Quality would like to visit with you personally! Hope to get your issue resolved and get you back at the range as quickly as possible!!!

Best Regards ~ Jen

rlg58
    I ordered mine on 04/01 (Featherweight Thumbhole/Pepper) for my Axis .308 and didn't notice till last week that it's doing the same thing. No matter how hard I tap or even with the bolt removed, it will not seat and lock in place. I tried calling Boyds today a little after 9:00am CDT and got a recording stating the "Business Hours". I have to say, I'm a bit disappointed.

Kanitapja
    Quote Originally Posted by rlg58 View Post
    I ordered mine on 04/01 (Featherweight Thumbhole/Pepper) for my Axis .308 and didn't notice till last week that it's doing the same thing. No matter how hard I tap or even with the bolt removed, it will not seat and lock in place. I tried calling Boyds today a little after 9:00am CDT and got a recording stating the "Business Hours". I have to say, I'm a bit disappointed.
    Don't get that magazine locked in - it'll LOCK IN if you do.

It's otherwise a mighty fine stock and everyone else says their customer service is top notch - It would be good to hold off on the 'disappointed' assessment...

Basic Member
    Thumbhole for my Axis .223 fit perfect and no problems with the clips fitting, haven't shot it yet because of the weather/rain but all 4 of my clips click in

Dirtydeeds
    I just got my Boyds Prairie Hunter Stock in a couple days ago.

Over all it looks pretty good. I went with the Prairie hunter. The only difference I can tell from the Prairie Hunter and Classic is the Prairie Hunter is more contoured behind the cheek riser. It looks like they are the same width and height.

The change over was pretty easy. I had to fiddle with the barrel to get it to centre in the stock. It's free floated now that it's centred.

It added a fair bit of weight to the axis when compared to the plastic stock but I was expecting this.

The stock recoil pad is super thin. No doubt it will have to be changed.

The finish on the stock is nice and the colour is good.

The trigger that came with it was useless as the hole didn't line up at all. The only solution would be to drill it out but then you would also have to countersink for the head. I purchased a Stainless Steel trigger and when I put it on, the one edge of the trigger was lifting approx 1/8. I took it off and looked at it. There was a huge boss on the bottom from the manufacturing process. After filing it down and sanding smooth it now fits proper. There is no more rocking and the holes line up perfectly.

The rifle feels pretty loose in the stock when assembling. Before tightening the bolts there is considerable side to side play and rocking. It's almost like the inletting is a different diameter than the action. This is what causes the barrel to move side to side in the fore end.

Overall I'm not disappointed in the purchase but I'm not overly ecstatic with it either. It's a decent enough starting platform but I have no doubt it will require further amounts of time and finances before it becomes a consistent and usable firearms.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

gravetrain
    Putting together my shopping list and was planning to update an Axis XP 308 synthetic stock with a Boyd's stock when I came across a page indicating that there is a Tacticool stock for the Axis:

TACTICOOL SAVAGE AXIS DBM LONG ACTION FACTORY BARREL CHANNEL BLACK TEXTURED FINISH

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product.htm?pid=103271

This should fit a new Axis XP right???

jasta
    308 is a short action so what you want to ordered wont fit your rifle. In saying that its best you contact Boyds and ask them whats going to fit for you.

Cheers

Jas

Quote Originally Posted by gravetrain View Post
    Putting together my shopping list and was planning to update an Axis XP 308 synthetic stock with a Boyd's stock when I came across a page indicating that there is a Tacticool stock for the Axis:

TACTICOOL SAVAGE AXIS DBM LONG ACTION FACTORY BARREL CHANNEL BLACK TEXTURED FINISH

gravetrain
    Quote Originally Posted by jasta View Post
    308 is a short action so what you want to ordered wont fit your rifle. In saying that its best you contact Boyds and ask them whats going to fit for you.

Cheers

Jas
    Thanks Jas.... joining SS is already paying off. Thanks!

cranebird
    Quote Originally Posted by gravetrain View Post

Jasta is correct. Here is what you want so you don't have to hunt for it.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/produc...03273&cat=1215

rlg58

Disappointed is exactly right.

Don't get that magazine locked in - it'll LOCK IN if you do.

It's otherwise a mighty fine stock and everyone else says their customer service is top notch - It would be good to hold off on the 'disappointed' assessment...
    I call Boyd's, they told me to send back the stock. After they received it yesterday, they say everything is fine but there have been a handful of people with the same issue as mine and that I would need to make a modification to the stock after I get it back. I'm sorry but spending $100 for something and then having to modify it to make it work is beyond disappointing. I have asked for a refund and will not do any further business with Boyd's.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rlg58 View Post
    I call Boyd's, they told me to send back the stock. After they received it yesterday, they say everything is fine but there have been a handful of people with the same issue as mine and that I would need to make a modification to the stock after I get it back. I'm sorry but spending $100 for something and then having to modify it to make it work is beyond disappointing. I have asked for a refund and will not do any further business with Boyd's.
    In all honesty $100 is about the lowest you will pay for a good stock. So some slight modifications can definitely be worth while as you will still be saving a lot of money for your rifle to shoot better. I went with a stoch from SSS though and paid more, but it's a perfect fit every time if Fred does the work.

cranebird
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    In all honesty $100 is about the lowest you will pay for a good stock. So some slight modifications can definitely be worth while as you will still be saving a lot of money for your rifle to shoot better. I went with a stoch from SSS though and paid more, but it's a perfect fit every time if Fred does the work.
    It really is a great price.what I did was sand the backend of the clip well. It didn't take a lot of sanding so take your time and go slow.

YayaRajah

Lightbulb Ordered a long action stock on accident

Recently I ordered a customized pepper featherweight thumb hole for my .308 axis, and by a mistake of my own, chose the long action on accident. Fortunately for me, upon inspection of the original plastic stock I came to the realization that the only difference between the calibers was the plastic trigger guard. Anyway, what I ended up doing was milling a piece of graphite-filled jute material from where I work and gorilla gluing it in..and TADA! the clip fit in perfect and works fine. The only other thing was that the barrel wasn't free floated when I screwed it in - but I will just do some light sanding and it should be fine. They make a great stock, it looks great.

Ps. I have the dimensions of the piece if anyone else needs them/ I work at a full machine shop, we could probably produce these as an aftermarket item if there is enough need

savagemann
    I just got my Tacticool from Boyds for my .308 Axis SR.
    It doesn't fit very well.
    The barrel is pretty far from being free floated and the action doesn't fit that well either.
    I am going to have to break out my serious wood working tools to get this bad boy where it needs to be, AND will most likely need to bed the action to get it to fit right.
    I'm not complaining for a hundred bux, but it IS going to be quite a bit of work.
    Slightly disappointing considering most people report a drop in fit.

CarolinaShooter
    Has anyone put a Pro Varmint on an axis heavy barrel (factory) .308? I wonder how much sanding the channel would need?

Got mine in today... I'm very happy with it. It is nicer than this cell phone photo makes it look.

You know what I like best about people? Their dogs.

I didn't put one on a factory HB, but I sanded the channel for a Shilen 243 varmint barrel. It was probably half an hour to an hour of time with a few bits of thick dowel and various grades of sandpaper. I say "various grits, but really I roughed it in with 60 grit, started going over it with 120, and realized it was just going to be painted over and covered by the barrel anyway, so I finished it with 60. Later HB projects seemed to go faster.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516