Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Laminate replacement for AXIS - BOYDS

liquid

I ordered mine on the 13th and are awaiting clearance by customs here in NZ. Hoping tomorrow or early next week

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    After reading about the Boyd's stocks and seeing pics of them I decided to take that giant step forward & retire a couple of my plastic stocks. It's not going to be easy after all the modifications & work I did to them over the years. They served me well & they kept my aim straight & true BUT...
    After meeting that guy that broke his at the grip (fla hunter, I think) I always worried about that happening to me at a very inopportune time. I'm going to change out 2 on my favorite rifles - the 25-06 & the .308. I feel bad about retiring them but I believe its time to upgrade.
    Now...
    Questions for you guys that did the change out.
    I ordered mine with a stainless trigger guards. Anyone here do the same? Anything I need to know or is it pretty straight forward?
    Did anyone have to wallow out the barrel channel to accommodate a fat barrel? Pretty easy? - as in wood reasonably workable or is it like cutting petrified wood?
    Sorry for all the questions. This isn't easy for me. I've grown quite fond of the plastic stocks & almost feel like I'm about to lose a close friend.
    The day I receive them, before I do the swap out I'll be asking everyone to observe 60 seconds of silence with me to honor them.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Basic Member
    If anyone is interested in Boyd's Tacticool stock, head over to "vendor announcements and +1 the post. It's a good looking affordable "tactical" stock that would be for the axis.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post
    After reading about the Boyd's stocks and seeing pics of them I decided to take that giant step forward & retire a couple of my plastic stocks. It's not going to be easy after all the modifications & work I did to them over the years. They served me well & they kept my aim straight & true BUT...
    After meeting that guy that broke his at the grip (fla hunter, I think) I always worried about that happening to me at a very inopportune time. I'm going to change out 2 on my favorite rifles - the 25-06 & the .308. I feel bad about retiring them but I believe its time to upgrade.
    Now...
    I ordered mine with a stainless trigger guards. Anyone here do the same? Anything I need to know or is it pretty straight forward?
    Did anyone have to wallow out the barrel channel to accommodate a fat barrel? Pretty easy? - as in wood reasonably workable or is it like cutting petrified wood?
    Sorry for all the questions. This isn't easy for me. I've grown quite fond of the plastic stocks & almost feel like I'm about to lose a close friend.
    The day I receive them, before I do the swap out I'll be asking everyone to observe 60 seconds of silence with me to honor them.
    I opened mine for a heavy barrel. I used sockets wrapped in sandpaper to gradually get the channel I wanted. It was a ton easier and quicker than the B&C stock I did previously.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jknox1030 View Post
    If anyone is interested in Boyd's Tacticool stock, head over to "vendor announcements and +1 the post. It's a good looking affordable "tactical" stock that would be for the axis.
    Absolutely! Let's get Boyds to make this for us!

Everyone get over there and plus 1 it! :)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elgin View Post
    I opened mine for a heavy barrel. I used sockets wrapped in sandpaper to gradually get the channel I wanted. It was a ton easier and quicker than the B&C stock I did previously.
    Sockets wrapped with sandpaper?
    I have to admire your ingenuity.

I can't imagine it would be too awfully hard to sand or cut away if it's laminated. I was just curious to know how tough it might be. With my luck I'll get one made from laminated Lignum Vitae...

bloodhawke83
    so, my order is on back order........

Basic Member
    Sockets wrapped with sandpaper?
    I have to admire your ingenuity.

I can't imagine it would be too awfully hard to sand or cut away if it's laminated. I was just curious to know how tough it might be. With my luck I'll get one made from laminated Lignum Vitae...
    Thanks! Everyone said to use a dowel, but I didn't have one, so I dug through the garage to see what else I had. The nice things about the sockets are the ability to use different sizes to fine tune the channel.

None of the Boyd's I've had have ever been too tough to work with. Not sure what they use for laminate (I guess I could go look), but you should be good to go.

I have two more Axis builds going together, so I'll need to open up two more stocks (hopefully they'll both be in tacticool stocks).

bloodhawke83
    all the stocks i ordered shipped.....i hope i get an early shipment cause i wont be home to enjoy it.

rsh4364
    Now...
    Frank you will love the new stocks,my .308 is wearing a prairie hunter and .223 has the thumbhole..I love the thumbhole but its a little blocky,could use some streamlining.The prairie hunter feels perfect.But both are so much nicer looking than fact. stock!

liquid
    My stock arrived on monday, many thanks, but I still have a problem. I am short, and I was hoping that I might be able to reduce the length of pull on my prairie, but that interferes with the check piece. For me now to fix that properly, I should have ordered a special which would have fixed the problem, however, since I am in New Zealand, I have the problem of the $100 dollars export cap to contend with with the special charges on top it puts me over!! bummer! Is there a way we can get around this. You may post here or privately to labelman@clear.net.nz. Its a cracker stock, but for me at this stage not very user friendly. your help is needed please.
    thanks in advance - les

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by liquid View Post
    My stock arrived on monday, many thanks, but I still have a problem. I am short, and I was hoping that I might be able to reduce the length of pull on my prairie, but that interferes with the check piece. For me now to fix that properly, I should have ordered a special which would have fixed the problem, however, since I am in New Zealand, I have the problem of the $100 dollars export cap to contend with with the special charges on top it puts me over!! bummer! Is there a way we can get around this. You may post here or privately to labelman@clear.net.nz. Its a cracker stock, but for me at this stage not very user friendly. your help is needed please.
    thanks in advance - les
    How much do you need to shorten it? Can always cut jt down and do a custom butt pad on it.

liquid
    Don't worry, I have thought of that as well. It was surprising how much longer than the youth stock it is. Well over the 1 1/2" The cut to take me back far enough would go through pretty much where the check piece finishes and where the sling stud is situated. My problem of course, as well as being not comfortable, is trying to climb into the scope to focus. I am off to my local gun shop this morning to look further into my scope mounts to bring my scope further back. It might partially solve my problem.
    The majority of shooting, is off a bipod shooting goats from a fixed position. I may well have to learn to fudge it for a while, while I get used to it.
    I am a we bit hesitant as yet to do a custom, but it may well come to that.
    Note that length of pull in the original Savage stock is 13 1/2" Boydes is 13 3/4, Savage youth is 12/12" and Boydes reduced length of pull reduced is 12 3/4. That 1/4" can make a lot of difference in comfort.
    I have noticed that it seems to be a trend that the length of pull has increased a little over the years, in all manufacturers. Could it be a ploy to make an extra dollar by forcing buyers to purchase a new stock to fit their shooter as an extra, knowing full well that the stock on the original offer won't fit the average person. Surly it would be easier to make a shorter length of pull to suit the shorter to average guys then sell different length butt pads to suit those that require it! Ruger has just done that with their New American!

Food for thought!

Boydes sales I hope you pick up on this. les

2fast4u
    I took the opportunity to order a LH stock for my Axis now that they are having a sale on them, bringing them under the magic 100$ limit for international orders. Standing by the mailbox waiting ... and waiting ...

liquid
    sorry about my delay in posting back, but I might have solved my problem to a certain extent. After a bit of a hassle, I managed to get a rail specifically for the edge to move my scope back, which I have done. The butt and scope fitting is now is sorted. my only grief now is that it is a little front heavy, so is not balanced as it should be, but near enough. At least I can now pick the rifle up and the scope is as it should be, and I am not having to climb up into it.
    There is a lot of talk about bedding, but I am sure the new stocks do not need it now. Mine come with the red safety dot as mentioned in the past, but it now sits on two plates. I have not seen them in any pics in the past in this forum. Must be a new development from Boydes in this respect.
    The rifle now shoots a lot better, as I am getting to know it more. I have used up the hand loads that were developed for me and I am going to stay with Belmont in psp 55gn, and Ausi oudoor 69 gn. Regardless what goes down the spout, it all shoots the same, but Fiocchi out performs them all, but the huge price difference does not warrant it for my purpose.
    I am so impressed that I have purchased a sav .22 mark 2, and on selling my Ruger 10.22. There is no comparison!

Thanks to all who have posted on various topics in this thread. - les

cranebird
    Well I got my tracking number today so I blame Frank for his review ....Thanks Frank, I chose the camo in the prairie hunter instead of the classic though.

Basic Member
    You'll like it. If yours is as tight fitting as the two I bought, you'll be happy.

The camo is pretty nice looking. Wait until you see it in the sunlight. Even the stainless steel trigger guards were nicely made. The only complaint I have is that miserable recoil pad. I swear it reminds me of a piece of tire cut & shaped then screwed in place. It's about as hard as an old BF Goodrich tire.

Good luck with it.

cranebird
    You'll like it. If yours is as tight fitting as the two I bought, you'll be happy.

The camo is pretty nice looking. Wait until you see it in the sunlight. Even the stainless steel trigger guards were nicely made. The only complaint I have is that miserable recoil pad. I swear it reminds me of a piece of tire cut & shaped then screwed in place. It's about as hard as an old BF Goodrich tire.

Good luck with it.
    Thank you.My original plan was to buy it with the custom Limbsaver pad option. They had the prairie hunter /camo in stock, ship 1 -2 days and the waiting is always the hardest part so I didn't wait for the limbsaver option. The .223 recoil isn't a problem. I really like the recoil pad on the original stock and would have liked to have it on the new stock..........

cranebird
    Well the stock and accutrigger was delivered today.It took a little grinding but the trigger is sweet. I am liking the new setup, going to look into a higher powered scope next.

cranebird

Good luck with it.
    I'm not all that excited about the stock. It has a few blems, gouged where my Palm grips ,a gouge in the screw inlet which you don't see but I know it's there plus a couple of crease dents in the bottom of the tear drop grip and stock.I've sanded most of it out,going to look into another stock,keep this for the harsher coyote hunting where it'll bound to get dinged up anyways.l don't mind the pad on it but the .223does not have the recoil......

sales@boydsgunstocks
    If at any time you are not completely satisfied with your stock out of the box - please contact our Customer Service department about a replacement before modifying or altering at home. We take great pride in our work, and want to ensure our customers are 100% satisfied! Any questions just let me know!!

Best Regards ~ Jen

Quote Originally Posted by cranebird View Post
    I'm not all that excited about the stock. It has a few blems, gouged where my Palm grips ,a gouge in the screw inlet which you don't see but I know it's there plus a couple of crease dents in the bottom of the tear drop grip and stock.I've sanded most of it out,going to look into another stock,keep this for the harsher coyote hunting where it'll bound to get dinged up anyways.l don't mind the pad on it but the .223does not have the recoil......

cranebird
    Quote Originally Posted by sales@boydsgunstocks View Post
    If at any time you are not completely satisfied with your stock out of the box - please contact our Customer Service department about a replacement before modifying or altering at home. We take great pride in our work, and want to ensure our customers are 100% satisfied! Any questions just let me know!!

Best Regards ~ Jen
    thank you for the reply.I will be ordering another in a couple of weeks once I figure out what I want.I'm good with the stock or I would have looked into sending it back before I put sandpaper to it.I'm sorry my post appeared as it did. It was not my intention.

sales@boydsgunstocks
    No worries - your post did not come across badly at all! I just wanted to make sure that everyone knows that if at any time they are not satisfied to give us a call, we are more than willing to work towards a solution that works for everyone :-) Glad to hear that it was a relatively easy fix and that you are in the market for another!!

Quote Originally Posted by cranebird View Post
    thank you for the reply.I will be ordering another in a couple of weeks once I figure out what I want.I'm good with the stock or I would have looked into sending it back before I put sandpaper to it.I'm sorry my post appeared as it did. It was not my intention.

Basic Member
    got my Thumbhole in Nutmeg today :) Looks nice
    hopefully have time to put it on tomorrow and go shoot, supposed to be 80 here in SE Iowa

Basic Member
    finally got it put on