Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Laminate replacement for AXIS - BOYDS

Trigger Man

I am interested in ordering a stock from Boyds, but have a question.
    I am a short shooter, standing 5'6" and have shorter, sausage fingers. Will the FT Thumbhole stock be too long of a reach to the trigger for someone with short fingers?

sales@boydsgunstocks
    The FT may have too long of a trigger pull for you as some customers have experienced this issue and they claim to have small hands as well. I would hate to say one way or another though as it all boils down to customer preference and what they are willing to tolerate. There are a couple other options such as the Classic and Prairie Hunter. I hope this helps and if you have any other questions feel free to send me a PM!!

~ Jen

Basic Member
    Just received the email notifying me stock has shipped. I ordered 1/13/14. Can't wait to get it! I ordered the classic in pepper.

Thank you boyd!

palerider338
    Quote Originally Posted by Trigger Man View Post
    I am interested in ordering a stock from Boyds, but have a question.
    I am a short shooter, standing 5'6" and have shorter, sausage fingers. Will the FT Thumbhole stock be too long of a reach to the trigger for someone with short fingers?
    I have the same problem......Savage Adjustment Tool (aka Dremel ) with a 1 " sanding drum usually solves the problem. Open up the thumbhole on the side closest to the trigger until it fits your hand comfortably.

Jay24bal
    All backorders and current orders for the Axis/Edge will ship this week. All orders have been made stock wise - just have been waiting on outside vendors for the trigger components, which we have now received an ample supply of. We apologize for any and all inconveniences and will be getting stocks in your hands very soon!
    Looks to be true as I just received shipping notification of the stock I ordered on 1/7 (nutmeg prairie hunter with some custom options). After putting one on my .223 and being very pleased with it, I can not wait to dress up the 308!

Basic Member
    Mine should ship soon, I ordered a FT in pepper on 1/8.

Trigger Man
    Thanks! You wouldn't happen to have any pics of the modified stock, do you?
    Quote Originally Posted by palerider338 View Post
    I have the same problem......Savage Adjustment Tool (aka Dremel ) with a 1 " sanding drum usually solves the problem. Open up the thumbhole on the side closest to the trigger until it fits your hand comfortably.

palerider338
    Here's the link : http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...d-in-the-rough

Not sure how well you can see the modifications

Trigger Man
    Thanks!!
    Quote Originally Posted by palerider338 View Post
    Here's the link : http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...d-in-the-rough

Not sure how well you can see the modifications

lotusboyrulz
    My stock should be here on 2/4/14. I will make a vid on how to replace the stock. post it on YouTube and also post some pics on here.

danjurista
    Got my boyds stock today, took about 5 minutes to change 2 screws and fit like a glove. I got the classic in forest camo, it looks great on the 308 stainless!

Trigger Man
    Has anybody found the need to bed (pillar and/or glass) these Boyd stocks?

I too would like to know if anyone has pillar bed one of these stocks. I am getting ready to order one for a build I have going on and wondering if I should have pillars installed.

lopeha
    I have a RH Axis but shoot lefty. Called Boyd's & asked if they would consider building a stock with a raised cheekpiece on both sides. Here's to hoping!

PDX1953
    Am I correct in assuming the .223 Axis uses a short action stock?

Basic Member
    Yes

Trigger Man
    Quote Originally Posted by shoalwater View Post
    I too would like to know if anyone has pillar bed one of these stocks. I am getting ready to order one for a build I have going on and wondering if I should have pillars installed.
    I guess nobody has any suggestions...

Team Savage
    I have 3 Boyd's stocks on my Axis' rifles. I've pillar bedded all three. I use 1/8" brass pipe. I really don't know if it was necessary but I enjoy working on them. I shot about 50 rounds(223) today. All 5 round groups were under 1" MOA at 100 yds. My best load(3 groups) came in around 1/2" @ 100yds.

PDX1953

Pillar bedding

Quote Originally Posted by jlnft View Post
    I have 3 Boyd's stocks on my Axis' rifles. I've pillar bedded all three. I use 1/8" brass pipe. I really don't know if it was necessary but I enjoy working on them. I shot about 50 rounds(223) today. All 5 round groups were under 1" MOA at 100 yds. My best load(3 groups) came in around 1/2" @ 100yds.
    Could you explain how you pillar bedded them? Photos would be appreciated as well.

Thanks

Team Savage
    I don't bed the barrel at all with exception of the area around the pillars. The front pillar is bedded in about a 1 1/2" square around the pillar and barrel. I use a dremel tool to remove about 1/16" to 1/8" around the pillar. The back pillar is a little harder. I only remove about 1/4" around the pillar itself so I have a good base around the pillar.

The front works out to be about .520" long and the back about .980"-1.020", depending how deep the trigger guard pocket cut. For the front pillar make sure the bolt can be threaded into the barrel about 3 threads before it locks down on the pillar. If you make the pillar too short and get too many threads it will lock up the action bolt. I cut the brass pipe with a drill press and hacksaw(be very careful), then sand them to a final length. I also rough up the pillars with a stone in the dremel.

I use JB Weld(NOT the 5 minute stuff) to bed the pillars. I'm sure there are better bedding materials, but I've had very good success with it.

I watched a bunch of YouTube videos and they really helped give me ideas. If I can take some pictures I'll try and post them.
    Last edited by jlnft; 02-01-2014 at 09:43 PM.

PDX1953
    I don't bed the barrel at all with exception of the area around the pillars. The front pillar is bedded in about a 1 1/2" square around the pillar and barrel. I use a dremel tool to remove about 1/16" to 1/8" around the pillar. The back pillar is a little harder. I only remove about 1/4" around the pillar itself so I have a good base around the pillar.

The front works out to be about .520" long and the back about .980"-1.020", depending how deep the trigger guard pocket cut. For the front pillar make sure the bolt can be threaded into the barrel about 3 threads before it locks down on the pillar. If you make the pillar too short and get too many threads it will lock up the action bolt. I cut the brass pipe with a drill press and hacksaw(be very careful), then sand them to a final length. I also rough up the pillars with a stone in the dremel.

I use JB Weld(NOT the 5 minute stuff) to bed the pillars. I'm sure there are better bedding materials, but I've had very good success with it.

I watched a bunch of YouTube videos and they really helped give me ideas. If I can take some pictures I'll try and post them.

Do you contour the pillars to the action so they sit as tight as possible?

Team Savage
    No, the back pillar is flat against a bracket on the trigger and the epoxy fills in around the front pillar where it touches the barrel to make a nice fit.

Please don't take me as a "expert" or "Grizzly Veteran". I did a lot of research and asked questions to come up with my method. It doesn't make it right, but seems to work!!
    I'm sure there's probably a better, easier way, unfortunately I very seldom take that path!
    Last edited by jlnft; 02-02-2014 at 04:42 PM.

Trigger Man
    I'm sure there's probably a better, easier way, unfortunately I very seldom take that path!
    I think we could be long, lost brothers?! Lol

thomae
    Quote Originally Posted by PDX1953 View Post
    Do you contour the pillars to the action so they sit as tight as possible?
    That's a good question. FWIW: Based on what I have read (famous last words, right? ), the way I do it is to leave the pillar tops flat when I bed my stock to the action. That way I still have Metal to metal contact along the axial centerline of the action screwholes and the bedding material holds the action in the correct spot so there is no side-to-side rocking or twisting. If I were to try to contour the pillars to the action, I would probably not be able to get it exactly right and would likely add stress of one kind or another. I do have the means and ability to make a flat cutoff, however.

YMMV.

Yes yes... I have had to make a front pillar, and I am in process of working out the bedding side of it...

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...yds-Axis-stock