Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Laminate replacement for AXIS - BOYDS

Quote Originally Posted by jalmeter29 View Post
    I would like to know too how you guys bed a savage axis? The recoil lug is different and the rear action screw area is different. Pictures would be grate!!!
    I'm not sure if the way I did it is the best or not. I suppose you could pull the recoil lug and them remove some of the wood behind it and then reinstall it and then bed it. That would seem kind of risky to me. Although the pics don't show it very well I also putting some bedding material along the side of the rear action to help stabilize it a little better. This was on a 223 so I didn't go crazy trying to put a lot of bedding compound in there. It was mostly to get the barrel straight in the barrel channel. Shot a coyote with it this AM but have not taken it to the range yet so I can't say the accuracy has improved, but I do like the stock and I am happy with the bedding job thus far.

G

liquid
    have a look through here - http://www.ballisticstudies.com/ - there are a lot of other sites as well - do a yahoo search on a fellow called Richards on bedding, another extremely good video

les

Basic Member
    Thanks for sharing

The bedding kit I purchased had complete instructions included. Just follow them and you'll be fine. All you have to do is decide which portion of the stock to bed.

Basic Member
    Ok did you get any pillars?

Quote Originally Posted by jalmeter29 View Post
    Ok did you get any pillars?
    No I didn't. I could not find a local source for pillars and was not wanting to put that much work into it. This is a hunting rifle that shoots about .75" If the accuracy improves at all I will be happy and if not that will be fine. If for some reason it get worse then I will install pillars in the off season. I have other hand loads that are more accurate, but the load I use for hunting is not the best for accuracy. I will continue to try different loads. This gun has proven to be very accurate as it was with the factory stock and cheap Simmons scope. I will now improve the glass on it and take it to the range before installing pillars.

G
    Last edited by G-manz35; 11-19-2013 at 08:23 PM.

steveNChunter
    Hello SS forum! This is my first post.

I bought a Savage Axis stainless in .223 the other day after seeing that Boyd's was offering stocks for them. I was previously turned off to the Axis because of their flimsy tupperware stock and lack of an aftermarket one.

But Boyd's has come to the rescue.

I ordered a prairie hunter in pepper with stippling pattern #1 and I can't wait for it to get here. I think it's gonna look awesome on a stainless rifle. I placed my order on Nov. 15th, anyone have an idea of when I might see it? I realize the stippling makes it a "custom" so that may add to the lead time. I'm hoping to at least see it before Christmas.

Basic Member
    My Prairie Hunter arrived in about 6 days, but it wasn't custom, and I happened to order at just the right time.

Finally taking out on Sunday to see how she shoots!

jhawk60
    Quote Originally Posted by Elgin View Post
    My Prairie Hunter arrived in about 6 days, but it wasn't custom, and I happened to order at just the right time.

Finally taking out on Sunday to see how she shoots!
    Mine was a pepper classic with no custom work and was ordered the day after the stocks came out, took almost a month to get it. It makes the gun so much better it was well worth the wait.

Took a doe with it Monday morning.

Axis270
    Hi Gents!

Just a heads-up to those who are thinking of pillar-bedding their Boyds stocks: I pillar-bedded my stock today and found that the pillar/insert that Boyds installed inside the front action screw is actually only letting the screw turn into the action by about 2-3 threads. The reason being that the collar that the screw head tightens up against is set back quite a bit. It is also considerably shorter than the pillar/insert from the factory stock. I pushed the pillar out of the factory stock, loosely inserted it in the Boyds stock for measurement and fit-up and found that I only had to remove about .020 inch off the top and thus had a ready to go front pillar for the Boyds stock.

Safe shooting!

hmmmm... I like that idea of the pillar out of the original sock...

Quote Originally Posted by Axis270 View Post
    Hi Gents!

Just a heads-up to those who are thinking of pillar-bedding their Boyds stocks: I pillar-bedded my stock today and found that the pillar/insert that Boyds installed inside the front action screw is actually only letting the screw turn into the action by about 2-3 threads. The reason being that the collar that the screw head tightens up against is set back quite a bit. It is also considerably shorter than the pillar/insert from the factory stock. I pushed the pillar out of the factory stock, loosely inserted it in the Boyds stock for measurement and fit-up and found that I only had to remove about .020 inch off the top and thus had a ready to go front pillar for the Boyds stock.

Safe shooting!
    Didn't know if it was just my stock or what, but my front action screw would only catch by 1 thread. I happen to have a longer screw laying around that I used a threading die on then cut to length. Not really impressed with that part of it.

G

boomerangg22
    just placed my order for nutmeg :)

haven't even shot my 06 yet got ammo (had it for months now) just gonna wait till i get the new stock now

Ok, i was just looking on Boyd's site, thinking about ordering a Classic pepper for my .30-06, and the Classic has been removed from list of options. I was just on there a few hours ago and it was there. Are they no longer taking orders for the Classic?????
    Axis .223 with 4x12x40 Redfield Revolution
    Stainless Axis .30-06 with 3.5x10x40 VX3 Leupold.

Yes yes... jsut noticed this as well, I have one on order that has been AWAITING SHIPMENT for days now.... wondering what is going on...

Cant find a email adress for boyds either... if anyone has it would like to share that would be much appreciated.

boomerangg22
    I ordered the PRAIRIE on the 25th and says shipped today. Classic is there however it says pepper is out of stock.

scameron

Boyds Pepper Thumbhole .308

Purchased my Featherweight Thumbhole and got to work. I pulled the front pillar out of the factory stock(thank you Axis270) and turned it down a bit, then added a rear pillar as well. Can't wait to get back to the range!

Axis270
    Only a pleasure scameron! Good job on the pillar-bedding!

steveNChunter
    I ordered a short action prairie hunter pepper on Nov. 15th

still awaiting shipment...

boomerangg22
    for what ever it's worth Steve, that is a very long time. But i did receive mine on 3rd. bought on 25th and received on the 3rd. not to brag just wanted to try and give you some piece of mind. It is very very nice too, got to wait till after Santa leaves it under the tree to get to replace it.

kirk2022
    Ordered my Prairie Hunter for my Axis Nov 8, Recieved on Nov 13. But shortly after that Boyds had A banner across the webpage saying Axis Stocks would have A 4 week ship time. Ordered A Thumbhole for my Marlin 60 last Sat. recieved yesturday. It will be worth the wait when your stock arrives though.

steveNChunter
    Yea when I ordered mine the "4 week lead time" banner was there. I also ordered mine with a stippling pattern so I'm sure that is adding to the hold up. I'm trying to be patient...

I ordered mine on the 13/11/2013, won't leave boyds till somewhere after 11/12/2013. Apparently they are waiting on bits for the stock to be finished.
    Then has to be shipped to Aus... Somewhere after Christmas I guess I will get mine.

Which is fine, and thanks for Boyds customer service in replying to my emails to keep me in the loop with what is happening and time frames.

woohoooo... My stock has left the building... and is now on its way to the great land of AUS...

steveNChunter
    Still no word on mine ordered 11/15

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast