Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Laminate replacement for AXIS - BOYDS

liquid

Quote Originally Posted by jasta View Post
    G-manz35... any chance you could give us some more info on the bedding job as I'm sure others would be interested in a "How To".

Cheers

Jas
    where abouts do you hail from

les

jasta
    pm sent
    Quote Originally Posted by liquid View Post
    where abouts do you hail from

les

liquid
    I am in new plymouth

liquid
    I wish to know if the metal piller posts are included in the stock, Or we need to do them ourselves. can't make up my mind which one to get, but have discounted the thumb hole as I have small hands and short fingers

les

jasta
    Her are some pix of the stock. As you can see its free floating and looks rather nice

Basic Member
    Just helping out Jasta! Stainless looks good in that stock.

Quote Originally Posted by jasta View Post
    Her are some pix of the stock. As you can see its free floating and looks rather nice

jasta
    Thank you Mr Wolf!

jhawk60
    Quote Originally Posted by liquid View Post
    I wish to know if the metal piller posts are included in the stock, Or we need to do them ourselves. can't make up my mind which one to get, but have discounted the thumb hole as I have small hands and short fingers

les
    There are no pillars in the stock, they will have to be added by you if you want them.

spleify
    I have heard that some stocks run better when the front and rear screws are torqued to a particular tightness. Anyone have any recommendations for these new stocks?

I received mine today thumb hole pepper

sfoster2001
    Got my Praiire Hunter in nutmeg, had to sand a little on the the bolt release notch,took 2 minutes, work good and looks even better
    $116.71 delivered, in about 1 week

liquid
    Quote Originally Posted by spleify View Post
    I have heard that some stocks run better when the front and rear screws are torqued to a particular tightness. Anyone have any recommendations for these new stocks?

I received mine today thumb hole pepper
    This was why I asked the question about having pillars installed. They are one of the reasons why the rifle will shoot well, straight out of the box. Timber is forgiving and compresses, each time a bolt is pulled up, it will compress further. It is not one of those things where the action is taken out every day in which case it would not long for the hole to fall apart. once it is in its in. I have yet to order my stock and I will be pillar bedding as well as a full bed even before I start shooting, but that is just me. I am on limited working hours at the moment so funds are tight. The stock for me is not a priority at the moment. By the time it reaches New Zealand it will be close to $200 kiwi with freight and exchange!

les

spleify
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay24bal View Post
    I called Boyds' today and they were more than helpful. They offered to either ship me a new stock (overnight) for free, or let me speak to a tech and he would walk through the mods needed to fix it. If I chose to fix it myself and was either unable to fix it or screwed it up in the process, they said they would still send me a new one. A+ to Boyds'!

As I suspected and you all informed me, the fixes were rather easy. I just wanted to make sure that Boyds' would still allow a return in case I messed it up.

So after 10 minutes with a small file (I keep a set of jeweler's files on hand specifically for my guns) and some sandpaper, I was good to. It fits like a glove and works 100%.

Can not wait to get it out to the range this weekend. Once my range closes for January and February, I will glass bed it for good.

Thanks for all the help!
    Can you or any one else post up some pics and descriptions on how to remedy this issue, I received mine yesterday and I am having the same issue.

Thanks

spleify
    I ended up talking to one of the techs over at Boyd's named Wilson and he explained that I need to just sand or scrape off a little bit on the rails inside the mag well. Fits like a charm now.

Great customer service. Thanks again Wilsom

Found something today that might fix the bolt catch stock issue. I had the same problem and after checking things out I realized that when I did the trigger spring modification that I had used a small screw to hold the new spring that had a head sticking out on the underside of the trigger assembly. This was touching the bottom of the stock which rocked the whole assembly fwd. this caused the front of the trigger to bottom out and then the bolt removal catch couldn't be depressed enough to remove the bolt.

As soon as I replaced the screw with something that didn't protrude past the bottom of the trigger, everything functioned perfect.

Just a thought that might help out if anyone else has the same problem.

Cheers

Any news on a lefthanded version?

Quote Originally Posted by patrolit View Post
    Any news on a lefthanded version?
    None I've heard of so far... I do hope they don't take too long to decide. If they have no plans for a Lefty model, I would hope that they would announce their intentions on this forum, one way or the other. My wife's Boyds thumb hole model stock is due in this Thursday, once I get her's done I'm sure I'll want to get started on mine (which is left handed) ASAP. I'd love to have a nice replacement laminate stock, but if it's going to be too long I'll have to modify the factory one, or buy from someone else... If my mods work out well, then Boyds will likely loose a sale. Maybe no big deal to them, but a sad deal to me.

Must agree, I have just sold my right hand .243, and ordering a new Left hand .243 this week. didnt get a lefty first time round because they didnt make them then. Would be great to loose the factory stock for a boyds left hand one.

Axis270
    Yeehaah! I just picked up my FT thumhole in Pepper laminate from the post office. So it took 1 month and 2 days, but hey I'm well pleased. Man, is this a thing of beauty? It was definitely worth the wait. I will be starting tonight on the pillar-bedding and such. It is going to look so good on my stainless steel Axis. More beautiful than Sharon Stone doing her leg cross-over thing? Nah probably not, but it'll be beautiful none the less. A preliminary thank you to the people at Boyds. Let me first check the drop-in fit before I shower them with accolades.

Basic Member
    I would like to see how you all pillar and glass bed the axis.

I am planning on doing it myself over the winter. Still looking for Boyds to make the tacticool stock for the axis has anyone herd if they are? I shoot prone and the tacticool looks like the best stock for prone/target shooting.

kirk2022
    Hey Guys new to the forum and first decision was to order A Prairie Hunter in Camo Green for my .223. Ordered it last sunday online and it arrived this afternoon. Dropped right in perfect! Now 1 question, Anyone done anything to the finish? Just thinking I'd like to make it shine some. If anyone has done this what did you use?
    Thanks in advance.

My wife is very very happy now with her new stocked Axis in .223. Now if they would only make a left hand version I could be just as happy too. :)

Rojohaem
    Was able to get on the range with the new classic stock. I'm amazed at the tight groups and the limited recoil. Worth every penny and I am grateful to Boyd's for giving a good entry rifle a greater amount of accuracy and admirable appearance!

Team Savage
    Hi All,

I purchased 2 Boyd's stocks one Prairie Hunter for a 30-06 and a Thumbhole for a .223. I'm looking to bed the .223. I've never actually bedded a rifle before, but I've researched it to nauseam and I feel like I can do a good job....... And if I screw up...... it's my gun!

My questions or pleas:

I can figure out bedding the barrel end but the action end is somewhat a mystery because of the trigger assembly it doesn't leave much area to use as bedding. Can someone post some pictures of the action end of a Boyd's stock bedding? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Can I just add bedding to the barrel end of the action and maintain accuracy?

On the trigger assembly, there is a silver bracket on the front of the assembly, that the action screw goes through to the barrel. In the stock area, is the "silver bracket" supposed to be free floating or does it rest on the cut out in the stock? It has a small pivoting motion(with the trigger assembly) when assembled on the barrel. I'm assuming I can't bed around that bracket?

Pictures are great.........I'm a visual learner!!

Sorry for all the questions and thank you in advance,
    Joe

Basic Member
    I would like to know too how you guys bed a savage axis? The recoil lug is different and the rear action screw area is different. Pictures would be grate!!!

Here's how I bedded mine. I routered around the front action screw and around the front of the rear action screw. I used a bit of putty to keep the bedding compound from getting into the rear action screw or getting back to far and interfering with the trigger mechanism. I also used a bit of masking tape folded over to shim up the rear action .025". You can see a bit of the putty is still in the stock. Sorry that my bedding compound is black and it makes it herd to distinguish between it and the plastic that comes with the stock.

Hope this helps. I'm not a pro so I'm not telling anyone how to do it. I'm merely sharing what I have done.

G

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast