Thread: Trigger for 1977 Savage Short action left hand 110 rifle HELP

TexSav1836

Trigger for 1977 Savage Short action left hand 110 rifle HELP

I have a 1977 Savage Short action left hand 110 rifle I think it is called a J reciever. This is the one that is only .10ths of an inch shorter than the regular long action ones. It is in 243. The trigger sear is not catching the bolt and the rifle will drop the firing pin not a good thing at all. The trigger parts have never been touched, polished, nothing but it has had the bar spring bent to lighten the pull. It has probably 800 rounds through it. I am thinking I can bend the spring to make the trigger engage the bolt. I would like to get some info encase this fails to help about what I can do with this original trigger or I want to buy an aftermarket trigger. Big question is are there replacement triggers for the old 110's and would either the left hand bolt or the weird rare J receiver keep replacement from happening?
    Of course this rifle has the thumb safety I hope that will allow any after market trigger for an old 110 to fit this one even though it is left hand. A Remington trigger is left and right hand specific if you want to keep the safety functional.
    Thank you for your help.......Tex

stangfish
    Is there a wire spring on the side of the trigger assembly?

Basic Member
    You probably bent the wire spring to far that it's not putting any preload on the trigger. It must have preload. If you want a lighter pull, you have to put a lighter wire spring in it's place.

TexSav1836
    RP12 stangfish Yes there is a spring on the side of the trigger, that is the one that we bent about 7 years ago to lighten the pull. I am going to try to get the gun out today if I have the time and bend more pressure back into it to make more preload on trigger. We haven't shot this rifle in about 6 years until this last weekend. You'all know of any aftermarket triggers that will fit this? Thanks Tex

Basic Member
    Replace the L-shaped wire with one of a smaller diameter. A cheap buzzbait wire will be the right diameter and can be cut into two trigger wires. The smaller diameter will give a lighter trigger pull while still providing enough tension to the sear spring. If your rifle is a '70s model, check to see if the sear has an adjusting screw. It may be mis-adjusted or the sear may just be full of crud.

Check the Rifle Basix trigger on Brownell's web site. A good trigger for the price and it's adjustable.