Thread: Mueller 8-32X44 mm scope quick look

n4ue

Mueller 8-32X44 mm scope quick look

Hi. I mentioned in another thread, that I had recently purchased a Mueller 8-32X44 mm scope. I have a couple of other Muellers and have been very happy with them.

This is a 'target' type scope, and is advertized as such. The reason being, it is simply VERY fine crosshairs and a very, very small, non-illuminated dot. No duplex, mildots, etc,
    The scope is very well made and although it has a 44mm objective, it looks small. The reason being the 30mm tube diameter. The lack of the AO keeps it trim....
    All the dimensions, etc are on the web, so I won't bother repeating them.

I mounted it using the lowest possible rings, and the obj clears the bbl by a small amount. The rifle is a new Axis I rechambered in .221 FB. Of course, the main points of interest are the glass and the turrets. The glass is fantastic. I had my bench at the 50 yd line and I used a 6" 'shoot-n-c' target. With the scope cranked up to 32X, I could read both the numbered rings and the branding on the target, very easily. First time I remember being able to do that!
    The image was extremely bright all the way to 28 and then got only slightly dimmer. Absolutely no distortion to the very edge of the glass and perfect color rendition and NO flare.
    The turrets feel great and it 'shot the box' perfectly returning to zero. The side focus worked as expected, and no, I really don't care if the yardage matches. If it focuses and eliminates parallax, that's all I care about.

I'm always looking for a great price/performance ratio. This scope and the Redfield Revenge 6-18 are both outstanding values.
    Are they the equal of a NF or USO? Of course not.

ron

I have to agree with your basic review, for the money it is a good scope.
    If you like this one next time try the 6-25 eradicator every bit as good but with a 1" tube and front AO,and IR.
    The CS at Mueller is also fantastic if a phone call can't resolve a problem they will have you send in the scope and fix or replace, I even had the one problem scope cross in transit with a replacement. Just good people to deal with.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Just backed over my last Mueller with my truck. On purpose! I bought a Mueller tactical and liked it. The glass was excellent. After a few days the scope would not hold POI so I returned it. Ten days later I had a replacement and thanked Mueller for their fast service. When I took out the replacement scope it was obvious it had been used. The turrets were about to fall off and the scope was not set at mechanical zero. I tightened the turrets down and mounted the scope and went to sight it in. Not gonna happen. First the turrets were loose inside and you could not feel any clicks when adjusting them. Second, when you zeroed the scope at 25 yards it was off the paper at 100. Lastly, in order to zero the scope you had to bottom out the elevation and move the windage all the way right. Still trying to make it work....don't really know why at this point....I shimmed the bases and used adjustable windage rings to align the scope. Finally got it zeroed. After a few shots the scope began to move all over the paper. What the heck am I doing this for says I. I had already spent $25 for shipping once and was not going to spend $25 more to send this one back. Got to thinking that if I sent this one back they would probably replace someone elses scope with this one. So to prevent this I ended it's career. To be fair, I will say that I have another Muller that I bought several years ago. Ithas been a very good scope. The glass is excellent and it performs well.

Mueller sent me ups return shipping labels so my cost the first time was zero $$, Next time I was in a hurry so I spent the $14 and shipped it myself.
    My replacement came with lens covers(flip up) and a sun shade with out asking. Both my Muellers are for target so I can't speak for the Tacticals, but have been thinking about the shot gun/muzzle loader scope.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

n4ue
    Froggy. I forgot to mention the other Mueller I own is the 8.5-25X50 AO and IL Eradicator and it's on a very accurate Axis in 223. Because I'm getting. old, grumpy, lazy, etc, I have been switching all my AO scopes to Side Focus. After all, reaching out with my left arm (once in a while), it way too much like work! ha ha

ron