Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My .260 Build Job *UPDATE*

Savage_Jake

My .260 Build Job *UPDATE*

This is my Savage 111 that was originally a .30-06. It is a pre-accutrigger model.

I have replaced a few things.

New mods are: SSS Competition Trigger, SSS Tactical Bolt handle, SSS Competition recoil lug, McGowen .260 Rem 28” Bull barrel 1:8 twist.
    [img width=600 height=450]http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa51/djstimuli/DSCN3093.jpg[/img]

I also have an EGW 20moa base.

Savage_Jake

Re: My .260 Build Job

The 3 scopes I'm looking at are:

Sightron SIII 6-24x50 MD
    Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x50 FFP MD (NEW)
    Vortex PST 6-24x50 FFP EMD

steveinwv

I've thought about this barrel on my 112VLP for some time. I'd love to know how yours will shoot.

Savage_Jake

Quote Originally Posted by steveinwv
    I've thought about this barrel on my 112VLP for some time. I'd love to know how yours will shoot.
    I'm dying to know how it shoots. I won't know until April most likely. I ordered the stock second week of January. Kevin told me 14-16 weeks.

You'll love the 260 cartridge. Try it with some 140 gr handloads at long range.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member

The 260 is great, especially if you build it on a long action. You can gain quite a bit of case capacity by seating the 140s long. You may be surprised at its performance at the higher velocity nodes. REM brass isn't too bad, but it does not last long at the higher pressures. It is cheaper than most of the alternatives though ...

Good luck!

Savage_Jake

You guys need to stop. The excitement is driving me nuts. ;D

I have decided to go with the new Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MRAD Reticle.

I can't hardly contain myself.
    http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...1-mrad-reticle

McKinneyMike

That sounds like the icing on a great cake to me. Envious in Texas for sure.

nhm16

Quote Originally Posted by dwm
    The 260 is great, especially if you build it on a long action. You can gain quite a bit of case capacity by seating the 140s long. You may be surprised at its performance at the higher velocity nodes. REM brass isn't too bad, but it does not last long at the higher pressures. It is cheaper than most of the alternatives though ...

Good luck!
    I've heard this repeated several times with regard to the 260, but how true is this for the relatively long Savage "short action."

I'm curious because I'd like to know case capacity do people need? Shooting 140gr class bullets (139gr Scenar / 140gr A-Max/ 140gr Berger HPBT-LR) I load mine with 42.7gr of RL17 (Alliant's published max is 41.0gr, for reference) and the powder is still clear of the neck/shoulder junction, and except for the 140 Berger, all my rounds fit into a short action box magazine when loaded to touch the lands on my McGowen barrel.

Savage_Jake

Well I just got off the phone with Kevin from Stockade. I had to check on the front action screw size. My action came with a DBM stock and the action screw is a bit shorter than the blind mag screw. Its a good thing I called because he had me down for a LA stagger feed style, not the new center feed style. All is good. The changes have been made on order. I asked about the 14-16 week wait and he gave me the option to pay an extra $100 to get the stock out within the next few weeks (less than 4). I told him "Checks in the mail". ;D I'll be seeing the stock a lot sooner. I can't wait. I'll put one of my spare scopes on until the new Vortex PST is available.

hotbrass

He made you pay $100 extra to move you to the front of the line?

What a great idea. I wonder why he doesnt just charge $100 more and get everyone their stocks in four weeks?

Savage_Jake

Quote Originally Posted by hotbrass
    He made you pay $100 extra to move you to the front of the line?

What a great idea. I wonder why he doesnt just charge $100 more and get everyone their stocks in four weeks?

He didnt make me do anything. It is an option he offers everyone at the time of purchase. I had just forgot about it until he mentioned it today. And he doesnt move it infront of anyone else. He has his people work overtime to get the stock completed for those that pay the extra. I sold some gun parts so I didnt mind paying the extra $100.

::)

SOmething just doesnt seem right about that .

”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Basic Member

Here's mine in a Stockade Prairie Dog.
    10FP 26" Shilen 1x8 4c SSS trigger, bolt handle.Trued,timed,
    and bedded by SSS. Zeiss Conquest 6.5x20-50
    [img width=594 height=450]http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv155/04nnj57111/Savage10FP.jpg[/img]

McKinneyMike

If you know about Kevin, does this really surprise anyone that knows some of his history

Savage_Jake

Please dont hijack my thread with trash talk about someone. Lets keep on the build subject.

Man that barreled action does look lonely sittin there. You shoulda bought a cheap synthetic to use for barrel break-in so you could shoot it while you wait...
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Savage_Jake

Quote Originally Posted by pdog06
    Man that barreled action does look lonely sittin there. You shoulda bought a cheap synthetic to use for barrel break-in so you could shoot it while you wait...
    Thats exactly why I'm waiting. There are no aftermarket stock options for the new center feed long action. At least none that I could find. I wish B&C made one. Choate makes the UV and US for long action but they are for the stagger feed.

Dinosdeuce

Savage_Jake,

Great choices on a build. Please post the range report.

I too am waiting on the PST. Hope i can get in on the first wave.

Looks good the 260 rem is my next attempt after I do the 223 that I am waiting for the parts to come in. Only difference is I will use the laminate stock.Looking for a donor now.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

lomfs24

Reading this thread gets me all excited about my build. I have a 10 FCP with a DBM and I am going to order a barrel for it soon, either the 260 Rem or 6.5x47 Lapua. I would love to hear a range report.

Savage_Jake

Range report is going to be a while. Still need the stock to arrive.

Plus I will be waiting for the Viper PST to become available.

I may use the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 I ordered for my 700 to get some range time with the Savage .260. :)

steveinwv

If my barrel shows up this week I may post pics by the weekend.

Glass and pillar bedded 112 VLP, EGW picatinny, Burris Signature rings, Nikon Monarch ED 8-32x50mm.

Got a bunch of different 6.5 bullets to try.

Senderofan

Quote Originally Posted by Savage_Jake
    Range report is going to be a while. Still need the stock to arrive.

Plus I will be waiting for the Viper PST to become available.

I may use the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 I ordered for my 700 to get some range time with the Savage .260. :)
    Make sure to give us a range report...even if you don't have the PST and have to use the plain Viper. Looks like it should be an awesome rig!!

Wayne

TNT Gun Finishing

My first build is on page 6 of the rifle pics. Amazing what you can do with a $350 wally world rifle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast