Thread: Bad casting on front bolt baffle

cantgrowup

Bad casting on front bolt baffle

I'm a first-time Savage 110 owner, by buying a new 110 FCP HS in .338 Lapua. I was a bit disappointed in the fact that the front bolt baffle was an incomplete MIM (metal injection molding) casting. The little tab on the buffer lug that rides in the receiver slot is missing about a quarter of its metal. The bolt baffle functions, but it's obviously a flawed part that shouldn't have passed inspection, especially on a $1500 rifle. I reported it to Savage customer service and they said to "send the rifle back in for testing." I don't think so. I ordered a replacement baffle from Midway but it's on backorder. I tried to order from Savage Customer Service today but they wouldn't sell it to me directly since I'm not a gunsmith. I'll get one eventually and have already watched the YouTube videos on how to disassemble the bolt.

Are these Model 110 front bolt baffles all standard sized for whatever calibers? Or are they caliber specific?

I know it's only a $3 part, but in that case Savage shouldn't have my rifle out the door with a defective part just to save themselves $3.

stangfish
    Yours, if I am not mistaken, is pretty much the standard. There were some exceptions. but I don't believe it effects you.

cheggie
    I've seen three different bolt baffles on three different guns. Savage may use different baffle sizes to locate the retracted bolt relative to the back of the magazine. One looked like it had a "notch" out of it.