Thread: Boyds Tacticool Centerfire

rangewolf

Boyds Tacticool Centerfire

Anyone have any pics of their rig decked out in the Tacticool stock by boyds. Ive seen the rimfire version but the stocks for centerfire seem different

RiverSink
    I know SEShooter has a 110 in one, maybe he will see this and show it off. It's really nice and the basis for a new build of mine.

USMarine1108
    Sav 110, Obermeyer 5R in 30-06, Leupy Mk4, all of the bells and whistles. I built this as my "All American hunting rifle" (but it does very well on paper too). Great stock as long as you pillar bed it correctly. Once the rifle is completely floated and is just sitting on those pillars, it doesn't matter too much what stock is around it. I love this one. I'm a sucker for wood.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Sanding it.

Sanded.

Dark Walnut stain.

Sorry, I don't have too many good pics of the completed rifle but you get the idea. Once sanded, the only thing I wasn't happy with is the pegs that go through the side. Oh well, what can more can you ask for at this price?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by USMarine1108 View Post
    Sav 110, Obermeyer 5R in 30-06, Leupy Mk4, all of the bells and whistles. I built this as my "All American hunting rifle" (but it does very well on paper too). Great stock as long as you pillar bed it correctly. Once the rifle is completely floated and is just sitting on those pillars, it doesn't matter too much what stock is around it. I love this one. I'm a sucker for wood.

Sanding it.

Sanded.

Dark Walnut stain.

Sorry, I don't have too many good pics of the completed rifle but you get the idea. Once sanded, the only thing I wasn't happy with is the pegs that go through the side. Oh well, what can more can you ask for at this price?
    I wonder if there was enough meat in there under the action to put a aluminum v block so I don't have to bed it? I can't wait until the colored laminate comes out.

USMarine1108
    Quote Originally Posted by missed View Post
    I wonder if there was enough meat in there under the action to put a aluminum v block so I don't have to bed it? I can't wait until the colored laminate comes out.
    There is plenty of space. That was my original plan, but went with pillars because I already had them.

Basic Member
    Excellent! I have an accustock that no body wants so I think I'm going to get the block out of it and use that.

USMarine1108
    Quote Originally Posted by missed View Post
    Excellent! I have an accustock that no body wants so I think I'm going to get the block out of it and use that.
    I'm not sure the accustock v block will fit the 10 or 110 actions. I'm sure someone can clarify but there are other places that make a block for your action.

Basic Member
    I have a 10 that will be going in the 10 v block. Actually this action will be going back into the v block that it came in. I was just going to try it since I already have the block and it beats spending another $100 on the Whidden block

USMarine1108
    Sounds like a plan. I'd like to see your finished product.

Here is my 110 in 260. Just waiting for my new nss lug and nut then paint. I am going to bed the lug first and try it. Then if needed I will visit pillars. I really just don't want to screw something up at this point. And I added weight to the forearm and magwell for a 13lb rifle.

223 4 me

Basic Member
    [QUOTE=snowgetter1;212771]Here is my 110 in 260. Just waiting for my new nss lug and nut then paint. I am going to bed the lug first and try it. Then if needed I will visit pillars. I really just don't want to screw something up at this point. And I added weight to the forearm and magwell for a 13lb rifle.

Snow, that looks great. I am working on my wife's Tacticool for a .260 as we speak... I am not "handy", but I pillared and bedded my .223, and with just a varmint barrel it shoots .333 MOA. It was worth it.

Go ahead, pillar and bed it!
    You won't mess it up. :) Especially if you plan to paint it, anyhow.
    Last edited by foxx; 10-20-2013 at 10:31 AM.

Basic Member
    Sounds like a plan. I'd like to see your finished product.
    Since there talking about doing the laminate for the tacticool I'm going to hold out till there available, I love the look of there laminate stocks.

My finished 260.

Basic Member
    That looks awesome, Snow. How did you paint it? Sponge?

Sponge with rattle can grays. Stumbled on this link looking for new camo ideas. They really have some good ones on there.
    http://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.htm...=321800&page=1

GOODWIN

Sanding it.

Sanded.

Dark Walnut stain.

USMarine,

Is this a blind mag or DBM? What pillars did you use. I'm interested in pillar bedding mine. However, with my DBM I don't have much wood to work with around the action screw holes. I'm afraid of cracking the stock if I try to drill out the holes any bigger. Thanks.

Heep80
    Quote Originally Posted by GOODWIN View Post
    USMarine,

Is this a blind mag or DBM? What pillars did you use. I'm interested in pillar bedding mine. However, with my DBM I don't have much wood to work with around the action screw holes. I'm afraid of cracking the stock if I try to drill out the holes any bigger. Thanks.
    yes x2 for me!
    I was just going to accuglass mine.

USMarine1108
    Mine is blind mag so there is plenty of space. I use bushings from Lowes as pillars on my rifles (find the correct size, cut them to length and trim for the rear which also gives you the ability to set the height of the rifle off of the stock) and you're way ahead as long as you set them correctly. If either of you guys want to try with a DBM, please post pics as I'm debating on one myself for this rifle.
    Last edited by USMarine1108; 11-21-2013 at 09:46 AM.

6mmAI