Thread: .22 LR Ammo. Accuracy "Enhancement"

.22 LR Ammo. Accuracy "Enhancement"

Hey All!

So I've been having a ball with my MK II Classic, and I happened into a box (50) of SK Standard Plus last month. The rifle likes all sorts of ammo- both supersonic and sub sonic, but does noticably better with the sub sonic stuff. The SK preformed VERY well- probably the best out of what I've tried so far.

Doing some research on this forum and someone posted a great "article" on variables of .22 LR ammo. Weighing rounds, measuring OAL, measuring rim thickness. So I think I understand the consistancy thing. My question is; is there a "standard" C.O.A.L. or a standard ideal weight or rim thickness? I'm guessing that it may vary from rifle chamber to rifle chamber- what I mean is I know various cartridges will fluctuate, and different rifles may favor certain measurements / headspacing?

Also- theres no money in the budget to by a .22LR "gauge" to measure rims, but in searching Thomae came up with using an empty .243 case and a comparator with his caliper to do rim measurements. What I did was take a piece of .223 brass, clean it well, trim and measure it. Then when I sized it on the press, the throat opened up enough to allow me to put a .22LR round in it, nose first. Viola- a rim thickness measurer! I know it wont be as accurate as using a comparator, but necessity is a mother...er...the mother of invention.

Thanks in advance for any comments, thoughts etc.
    Brian
    Learning something new, experiencing something new and sharing the journey are reason enough to get out of bed each day!

JCalhoun
    I like to use SK when I can find it.

shanejohnson2002
    I like Lapua and Eley, but SK and Wolf are popular for a reason. You really can't go wrong with any of those 4. I shot my personal best group using Lapua Midas +.

As far as the weighing and measuring...from what I understand, the idea isn't to get it near a "standard", it's to get a batch of rounds that are reasonably close to each other. I still don't buy the weight idea...there's enough of a variation in charge weight, brass, primer, etc to mean that two rounds that weigh the same may not be made up of exactly the same weights of the components. In other words, it's the same as saying 2+2 is 4, but so is 3+1, 4+0, etc.

I *do* buy the rim thickness idea, and I like the chances of your method. I own a pair of digital calipers that I should probably start using to measure my rims...I'm just not consistent enough yet IMO to warrant being this picky. Yet.

Quote Originally Posted by shanejohnson2002 View Post
    I like Lapua and Eley, but SK and Wolf are popular for a reason. You really can't go wrong with any of those 4. I shot my personal best group using Lapua Midas +.

As far as the weighing and measuring...from what I understand, the idea isn't to get it near a "standard", it's to get a batch of rounds that are reasonably close to each other. I still don't buy the weight idea...there's enough of a variation in charge weight, brass, primer, etc to mean that two rounds that weigh the same may not be made up of exactly the same weights of the components. In other words, it's the same as saying 2+2 is 4, but so is 3+1, 4+0, etc.

I *do* buy the rim thickness idea, and I like the chances of your method. I own a pair of digital calipers that I should probably start using to measure my rims...I'm just not consistent enough yet IMO to warrant being this picky. Yet.
    Good points Shane! Makes sense about the weighing; and I too think its more about rounds being "close" to each other i.e. the consistancy. Thanks for your input. Brian
    Learning something new, experiencing something new and sharing the journey are reason enough to get out of bed each day!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shanejohnson2002 View Post

When you are paying over $20 for a box of Match grade 22LR ammo in theory weighing rounds and measuring rim thickness shouldn't be required because they should already be sorted. However since rim thickness variance can make or break your "head space" then by all means do it. It doesn't take that long to do so.
    Aries by birth, Taurus by choice.

I've been doing it on the "cheaper" stuff- or regular stuff I should say. The recent box of SK and the Eley Target I just got I don't feel I should have to do. So far I've measured between 25-30 rounds of Western T-22, CCI Mini Mag, Fed. Lightening and Federal Game Shok each. If nothing else- it'll be interesting to see how this all plays out. Brian

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvercrow1 View Post
    I've been doing it on the "cheaper" stuff- or regular stuff I should say. The recent box of SK and the Eley Target I just got I don't feel I should have to do. So far I've measured between 25-30 rounds of Western T-22, CCI Mini Mag, Fed. Lightening and Federal Game Shok each. If nothing else- it'll be interesting to see how this all plays out. Brian
    How did the Quiet22 work for you? Out of my Henry, like I said, I get 1 ragged at 25yd but it opens to an inch or slightly less at 50yd. Still Minute Of (red) Squirrel Head though.

Out of my Mark II sporter a 5 shot group all touches at 25yd but it is a near perfect horizontal string.
    Aries by birth, Taurus by choice.

Quote Originally Posted by plinkin View Post
    How did the Quiet22 work for you? Out of my Henry, like I said, I get 1 ragged at 25yd but it opens to an inch or slightly less at 50yd. Still Minute Of (red) Squirrel Head though.

Out of my Mark II sporter a 5 shot group all touches at 25yd but it is a near perfect horizontal string.
    At 25 yards it was a tight group. That target wasn't pasted in my book but I still have it. I'll dig it out and give specifics. At about 35 yards, maybe 40, on live targets its been fine- most DRT. At the 50 yard range I got a good 4.5 - 5" drop and a spread out of the group to 1.5" +/-. To compare- standard velocity SK my best 50 yard group so far was .375", with CCI Mini Mag was .386". I'm sure as I practice more they will become better. The rifle is a Savage MKII classic, 22" sporter bbl., OEM thumbhole stock, Nikon Prostaff Rimfire 150 scope set at 6 power. Harris Bipod 9-13" set at 9", off bench, rice "sock bag" rear. Brian