Thread: First open season, any tips?

afartinthewind

First open season, any tips?

Hello all,
    I've always wanted to go hunting for deer so this may I decided that's exactly what I'm going to do.the main reason is for meat but a rack isn't going to bother me none :) I took my hunters ed class and I went out and picked up a savage axis xp in .270 based on many recommendations by trusted friends and chose .270 based on kick, flight, ammo availability and stopping power. I've been using rem core lokt 150g at the range and plan on using federal premium 150g for the hunt. Here in oregon whitetails are protected so its black or mules for me. I plan on heading to the east side of the coast range for opening day (sep 27) and plan on waiting near the top of a three year old clear cut that runs down(250-300y) the side of a ridge to a covered creek about 20y yards deep. Any thoughts? I'm completely new to deer hunting though I have been small game hunting before. I haven't had a chance to scout but when I was driving in to do a quick look at the place I nearly hit a doe and what I thought was a yearling fawn so I think I'm in the right place. Anyone have any "wish I woulda known"s or "if I could do it over again"s they would like to share I'd greatly appreciate it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

I'd keep the "Farting in the Wind" to a minimum. Deer can smell that crap. LOL.

Being patient, keep still, and if you move, move slow. Keep smells to a minimum, and do not sit too close to a deer trail. I wouldn't worry about calls and such. You will start to get a feel for things like that with experience.

Best advice I can give is: Since you are using factory ammo, practice with what you will hunt with. I wouldn't overlook the corelokt's for your hunt. They are decent medicine for deer. I hunt in the Midwest where deer can get really big. My buddy hunts with a Savage 11 in 243 and shot factory 100gr Rem Core-Lokt loads and was always one shot and done.

Good luck.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

afartinthewind
    Awesome, thanks man. Perhaps I'll use the lokt since I still have better than 60 rounds left and I'm familiar with them. Also know the rifle doesn't mind them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

jb6.5
    Try the federal bullets before you go hunt with them. Often times when you change ammo the poi changes.

Basic Member
    i can pull up to a traffic lite at a busy intersection and know right away when someone is smoking
    even several cars away. a deer would smell that at hundreds of yards. wind can be your friend
    or enemy in that regard. main thing is go, enjoy, and observe.

Basic Member
    Also since you mentioned this is your first, and a new rifle, yada yada, MAKE SURE you have practiced at the distances you hope to shoot. It's one thing to read about a rifles ability to hit x point at 300yds, it's another thing for the shooter to do it. Moving the barrel a 1/4", could move the bullet a foot at 300yds. Might mean the difference between a kill zone shot or gut shot or cripple. If all you can practice at is 100yds, then keep the shots below 200. I know this sounds contradictory to my previous statement, but the difference between 100 and 200 isn't quite as critical as the difference between 100 and 300. It's weird but it's what I have personally witnessed.

And as mentioned above, do it with the bullets you want to hunt with. Are the 150' you mentioned a spire point or round nose? Kinda interesting you choose a 150 and not the 130 for deer. I believe most use the 130 for deer, either way just shoot the one you are gonna hunt with.

afartinthewind
    They are 150 rem core lokt round nose. I grabbed them because they were all I could find at the time and I chose 150g based on what an old timer said at the gun shop. He said they hit harder that 130's. I've been at the range a ton practicing with the rems with mixed results at 100y( the longest range there) as I keep heating my barrel up. I don't plan on shooting further than I can hit a 4" circle reliably on the first and follow up shots, if I don't feel like I can absolutely hit the vitals I'm passing on that shot. Thanks everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Pls practice shooting in different positions. Adjust your check weld using foam, tape, whatever so once your shoulder your rifle u r looking through the scope

Basic Member
    well practice is always good. but if theres a possibility of even a slightly long shot go prepared for it.
    buy a folding walking stick with a detachable gun rest or a set of shooting sticks for resting your rifle on.
    if you can scout the location you intend hunting early find a stump you can sit behind not on. if you cant find one
    creat one. or stack up some flat rocks you can rest your gun on. a hook you hang a ladder from in your garage
    works well also. cheat all you can and dont be ashamed of it.

thomae
    To add on to what Stockrex said. Ideally, you should be able to shoulder your rifle with your eyes closed and when you open your eyes, you should be able to look through the scope without adjusting your position at all. It's called "natural point of aim."

afartinthewind
    I've been practicing my natural point of aim by closing my eyes, aiming, opening them to see how far off I am, then adjusting my body. Repeat until I can aim at a target with my eyes closed. Definitely going to get a monopod and have been shooting my .22 cross man air gun a ton working on my pull and breathing. Same for my .270 with blast caps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Basic Member
    Since you're pretty much set this season with 150's, go with them, but I'd bet you'll like the 130's better, and a good bullet in 130 will do anything the 150 will do, except faster and flatter, and probably a little less recoil. But this is no time to switch horses.

On the other hand a good friend of mine always uses the 150RN to hunt elk, but to him, 100yds is a long shot.