Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re chambering 338 LAPUA to edge

Basic Member

Re chambering 338 LAPUA to edge

I am really wanting to do an edge build.

One thought I had was buy one of the rifles chambered in the 338 LAPUA and have it re chambered, then magazines, bolt head should all be good to go. Does anybody know what the going price is for the re chamber? My other thought was just to hunt down an action and piece it together, I'm a lefty so that is a bit more challenging.

Basic Member
    The case on a lapua is fatter you would have to.cut down the barrel re-thread and re-chamber.

Basic Member
    bolt face would be different also. why not just improve the lapua case?
    maybe better yet leave it alone and add a little more elevation for the shot.

Basic Member
    I guess I was thinking the edge since all the cool kids are going that route. LAPUA brass seems like it's becoming more available and more sources also. Is improving the LAPUA case as good as improving the 22-250?

Basic Member
    this could become a touchy issue seeing that this is a savage site.
    that said i personaly believe there is a line we shouldnt be crossing
    with savage actions. the same could be said about 700 actions.
    they do build the lapua and i know a few guys who have bought them.
    time will tell.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    this could become a touchy issue seeing that this is a savage site.
    that said i personaly believe there is a line we shouldnt be crossing
    with savage actions. the same could be said about 700 actions.
    they do build the lapua and i know a few guys who have bought them.
    time will tell.
    Oh I know, that is one of the reasons I'm considering buying the one chambered in LAPUA from the factory.

What is the touchy issue?
    Any clod can have the facts; having opinions is an art.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brtelec View Post
    What is the touchy issue?
    Swapping the edge and LAPUA into savage actions, some say you have to use the LAPUA action since the regular 110 is not enough for the edge, LAPUA, ultra mag cartridges.

There are plenty of edges built on small shank 110 actions. I do not know of anyone with a 338 LM built on one. With the larger chamber area I do not know if it would be a problem. I have a 110 FCP-HS in 338 LM. It appears that any steel that is lost in barrel shank is made up in receiver thickness, but I do not know about that in regards to the Lapua. Someone on here is bound to have one.

Basic Member
    i dont doubt there could be some built on old 98 mauser actions but i dont have one.
    id like to know if anyone out there has say 1000 rounds thru their edge on a savage
    with hot loads. lug setback is a reality most of us wouldnt recognise till after the fact.
    at what point do we need to be concerned about over stressing savage actions?
    i for one wont be finding that out.

stangfish
    Just because you can does not mean you should.

Basic Member
    If I were to build a 338LM, Edge, RUM, or similar cartridge, I'd rather have an action that was designed for it. This is my opinion and yall can take it for what it is: The remington 700 and the Savage 110 were never designed for intense pressures that these rounds produce. I would want a much stronger action than these two. I'm not saying that either one is a bad action design as they're some of the oldest production actions on the market, just they weren't designed for it.

To my knowledge though, you would have to change the bolt head and barrel to go from 338lm to 338 edge.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Yes the edge uses a standard magnum bolt head since it is based on the Remington Ultra Mag case.

sinman
    If you want to be a really cool kid take your lapua barrel off and put on a 338 Norma barrel.

Basic Member
    Well dang I'm all turned around on what I want to do now!

Basic Member
    Wow the Norma looks promising, easier on brass than the LAPUA and edge, less felt recoil. Hmmmm

If you have a long action already you can buy a small shank 338 edge in 28 inch varmint contour w/ muzzle brake with one week delivery here: http://www.mcgowenoutlet.com/prefits/savage.html

Then all you need is a magnum bolt head.

Basic Member
    If you have a long action already you can buy a small shank 338 edge in 28 inch varmint contour w/ muzzle brake with one week delivery here: http://www.mcgowenoutlet.com/prefits/savage.html

I have been looking for a long action I haven't bought one yet. I almost had a lefty savage 30-06 tactical for $250 but missed it.

Basic Member

what velocity are you getting with what weight bullet?

I do not have an edge. I am just pointing out that Mcgowen outlet has these barrels ready to roll. I have a 338 LM Savage.

Basic Member
    I do not have an edge. I am just pointing out that Mcgowen outlet has these barrels ready to roll. I have a 338 LM Savage.
    thank you, youve just reinforced my comment. still nobody raising their hand about lots of rounds
    thru an edge on a savage action. has anybody got 1000 rounds thru a 300 ultramag?
    or a 338 ultramag? or a lapua?
    im not trying to be argumentive here. but fact is when somebody says something somebody else
    takes it as gospel.

I have a savage in 338 because it was the most cost effective way to acquire a big 338. My question would be, does anyone have any documented instances of a Savage small shank rifle chambered in an UltraMag caliber or a WSM for that matter, ever failing or becoming unsafe to use because of pressure. If not, then it is all opinions and conjecture.

Basic Member
    There have been a couple ultramags that have come apart, I don't think anything was ever a root cause proven on it though. Both of the ones that I know of they were handloading also.

I think I may end up just getting the LM since it is available from savage. I will just have to go through there custom shop to get it with the bolt on the correct side! I would like to do it with a Choate, I would really like the Whidden but $800.....

Basic Member
    i frankly wouldnt be in a rush to do anything. first be asking yourself why you need it.
    if your reason is simply to say youve been there and done that then the savage might be a
    good choice. being a lefty myself id just get a right bolt standard gun as you will be shooting
    from a bench mostly anyway.
    i dont mind right bolt guns when shooting from a bench.
    on the other hand if your looking for optimum performance from a 338 id be thinking custom action prefferably or at least a mark 5
    weatherby action. then id be looking for 3000 fps or better with a 300 gr bullet. the 338x378 or the 338x416 will get you there.
    if you need to downsize bullets in order to achieve velocity your defeating the purpose of the 338 for long range hunting.
    id sooner a 300 ultramag with 210s than a 338 with 225s.
    be asking more questions before you decide.

Basic Member
    The RUM is well within the design limits of the Savage and the Remington actions. Never heard of any issues with them. Yes they're big, but they still fit a standard magnum bolt face which shouldn't equate to much more bolt thrust than a belted magnum produces. Savage built a lot of RUM's on both small shanks and large shanks and there's never been a recall or any problems with them to my knowledge. If anyone blew one up it was probably because they overloaded a handload and/or had too thick of a film of oil in the chamber where the brass didn't grip the chamber wall. The Lapua is a whole different animal. It operates at a slightly lower pressure, I think, than the RUM's. The difference is the size of the cartridge and its head. That pressure is exerted over a larger surface area which equates to more thrust on the bolt that can cause the lugs to impress into the recesses in the receiver. If you get the Lapua action from Savage, it should be fine as it has been modified to handle the larger cartridge. The locking lugs are thicker. The lug recesses in the receiver are thicker. The ejection port is smaller making the receiver stiffer. The heat treatment is different to make the receiver stronger. None of this is the same for the standard action and I wouldn't risk running a cartridge of that size in a standard action. A lot of folks make the argument on the large shank that you are just transferring the steel from one place to the other and that the total amount of steel is still the same. That's true for that part that is inside the receiver. Keep in mind though that probably more than half of the chamber extends beyond the receiver. That is why I think they went to the large shank, to have more meat around the chamber that's in front of the receiver.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast