Thread: Self Made Rifle Bag

rattfink

Self Made Rifle Bag

Hello Savage Shooters! I just finished a project and thought I would share some photos with the communities that might enjoy them.

I started this project just wanting a cool bag for my rifle. I considered cutting up a seabag and bivie mat for my materials but my ambitions grew and so did my shopping list. I managed to keep things under about $100 for materials though. As I was starting this project I found a total dearth of information about how to do this kind of work. It would seem the folks who are good at this, jealously guard their trade secrets, and just as well for them. I however am not good at it, nor do I make any money at it so I have no qualms with sharing, though I am proud of my final product which is a completely original design.

Here is my cloth being measured out. Measure 13 times, cut once. The whiskey bottles were just keeping the cloth from sliding off of my table.

The main pieces: Back, and zipper panels. Not shown: Interior lining.

The handles are two uniform martial arts belt I no long wear. This was the hardest stuff to sew through and I would advise thinner web material.

Here it is with the d-rings (More on that later) and exterior webbing sewn on as well as the zipper sewn into its panel.

Becoming 3-dimensional...

This is the zipper fully installed. The 270 degree zip was very ambitious on my part and I am pleased it came out so well.

At this point I neglected to take any photos of the interior panels and closed cell rubber foam padding inside them. It was by far the hardest part of the job though and involved lots of hand sewing with a pair of pliers as several layers of 1,000 denier cordura and webbing is very, very tough to sew through.

Finished! Here is the back with a set ALICE shoulder and waist straps hooked up to those D-rings I installed earlier. If I ever get to do my dream Western elk hunt, I'll be ready.

The outside with the webbing. I intend to make smaller detachable packs to fit perfectly on the outside for more storage. I'll post if and when I do.

Interior. The only regret I have with my design was the system for attaching the rifle. I wish I had done webbing so it would be more universal. Next time.

There is plenty of foam padding inside the interior panels to protect the contents. If I have enough scrap I may make a scope cover and muzzle sheath for a little added insurance.

stangfish
    Very nice Rattfink. Thanks for the inspiration!!!!!!

rattfink
    Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
    Very nice Rattfink. Thanks for the inspiration!!!!!!
    Thank you. And if you are inspired, I am flattered

It is worth noting guys, that you have to be careful about the machine and needle you use. If you wives and girlfriends have a normal or cheap sewing machine, the cordura will eat up its gears. My wife happened to have spent a bit of money on a machine suitable for quilting, embroidery etc so it handled it but just barely. I used a denim needle.

Ironically the old fashioned machines with steel gears that are cheap on EBay supposedly are very well suited for this kind of work.

Nicely done, I like the attention to detail and effort put into your bag; especially the alice pack system. That just gave me an idea on how to utilize the packs I have laying around.
    300WSM 26" 1:10 Med. Hvy. Varmit McRee Precision

din
    That's some excellent work! Love the ATACS.

rattfink
    Thanks guys!

@Din: I liekd the ATACs as well. It looks lieka versatile palette and pattern and I liked that it wasn't really associated with any group in particular.

Basic Member
    rattfink, I like it! I can see more pictures of this as time goes. You'll have smaller packs attached all over your main bag. Way to go.

Team Savage
    looking awesome

It looks both well though out and executed!

very nicely done.....
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

rattfink
    Thanks for the kind words gentlemen :)

dondick
    Very nice work , I like it . You earned some of that whiskey .

buxman66
    Nice job man. Nobody wants to do their own work anymore, w/innernet, big box stores...etc.
    I tip my hat to ya.

Team Savage
    As I was studying the first photo, I realized that this project was inspired by some Jim Beam Black. I just had an idea............

Great work.
    MSG, US Army (R)/NRA F Class Match Director/NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    "The Nut behind the Butt is Responsible for the flight of the Bullet!"

rattfink
    Quote Originally Posted by kschilling View Post
    As I was studying the first photo, I realized that this project was inspired by some Jim Beam Black. I just had an idea............

Great work.
    Thanks! Sometimes the imagination works best with proper fuel

Quote Originally Posted by buxman66 View Post
    Nice job man. Nobody wants to do their own work anymore, w/innernet, big box stores...etc.
    I tip my hat to ya.
    Thank you. I think like a lot of guys here, when I see something cool I start to wondering if I could do that...

Basic Member
    Man, that is really good. I could only wish to take on that project and have it come out like that. Very impressive.

thanks for posting all your info, i think I am going to make a couple of these, just modified a little.