Thread: Recent experience with rings, etc....

n4ue

Recent experience with rings, etc....

Hi before I start, please allow me to explain that I've been shooting for 50 years. Still don''t need glasses, even though I'm an old fart.....
    I have a lot of scoped rifles and handguns. I have about every brand of base/rings. Burris, DNZ, Weaver, you name it. Since I have a lot of 'spare' scopes, I like to swap them around for giggles. I've kind of settled on the Picatinny style of one piece base for the rifle, Weaver seems just fine and have had zero issues.
    Now on to the rings. (I know what everyone will say, just like scopes, "ya get what ya pay for"). I have been very happy with UTG. I regret these are Chinese, but so are most scopes today.
    Just today, I was putting a new Mueller target scope on my Axis .221 FB. I had ordered what I 'thought' was a pair of Vortex rings (6 screw models, very low height, since I had none that low),for $20. When it arrived, there was one in the box. I realized it was my mistake. No biggie, I ordered another. While I was waiting for the new Vortex to arrive, I found a Chinese seller offering what 'looked' like the Vortex. For what they were selling for (buy it now, free shipping), I couldn't resist. These rings are used on .243 and down rifles, no .460 WM here.
    Both the Vortex and the other rings arrived today. Using a mic, I could not find a single dimension that was different.....hmmmm Visually identical, except for Torx versus Allen screws.
    Again, I hate the fact that these are Chinese and being a former Steelworker, I always try to buy American, but.....

Don't shoot the messenger, just stating facts and my opinion, and we all know what is said about opinions!

ron

Basic Member
    You being a former Steelworker, I think you would agree a ring is a very simple part to manufacture. On this basis I have not found a good reason to pay for high-end rings; I have been very satisfied with Weaver and Warne. I'm sure others will not agree and they may have a good reason to do so, but I would rather invest the difference in what I deem more critical hardware.

n4ue
    Hi. Yes, it appears that these are simply an alum extrusion that is cut to size. The way all the edges are rounded they are no doubt tumbled after final machine work. If I were hunting Cape Buff with a BIG rifle, I'd spend whatever it took. ha ha
    My varmint rifles in different .22 calibers have never had a problem.

When it comes to glass, I am always looking for a cost/performance bargain. I have been very disappointed with scopes under the $250 mark. An exception was a Fujinon 3-10X50 scope I bought from my boss. It was SO good, I tried to buy a couple for myself, but they were sold out.
    Appears Fuji tried to test the scope market, for a while. They are famous for medical optics and of course camera lenses. No parallax adj, but was so bright, it almost hurt your eye.....

oh well....

ron

Neo2savage
    I recently bought a set of "Vortex" medium height rings. Upon opening the package I found they were actually made by Warne. Good rings btw.

With vendors outsourcing so much of their work it would not be surprising to find many brand names being made in the same factories. However, there could easily be several levels of quality from the same manufacturer.