Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: wood stock for 11 trophy hunter xp bottom bolt release

Quote Originally Posted by jpdown View Post
    Several of the newer Savage models I have purchased over the last year use the same plastic "bottom" DBM clip as the Savage Axis. These include the Savage 11/111 LWH (pictured), Savage 11/111 Hunter XP and Savage 11/111 Trophy Hunter XP. The frame that is bolted into the stock and holds the clip in the rifle is also plastic. Savage did not change the dimensions/layout of the stock DBM inletting,. So you can switch out the plastic frame and bottom cap and use a metal frame and bottom cap if you prefer. You can also switch out the plastic front release trigger gurard with a metal one. as shown in the pictures below.

I have a feeling that this is what's going to become the standard for wood stocked guns and what Foxx has will be the standard for all synthetic stocked guns before too long and the metal bottom metal and original style DBM magazines currently being used on the Classic, Law Enforcement and Weather Warrior Series models will be a thing of the past. That's the direction they're headed at least and it simply doesn't make sense to keep making three different variations of the same thing.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

DgTerrell
    Ugh I'm so confused, so I'll just put it bluntly. What parts do I need, if anything, to be able to get a boyds classic wooden stock on my left handed m11 trophy hunter xp? I would put the specs down for the Boyd stock, but the page has changed and it's saying all the stocks are sold out and no longer list the fittings for it. Here's the link http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/produc...55391&cat=1219

here's a cruddy pic of the inside of my current stock, and the bottom is the same as foxx's pic below.

Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post

thanks
    Last edited by DgTerrell; 10-18-2013 at 03:23 AM.

If you want to keep using the Axis style magazine you would need the plastic bottom "metal"/surround like is shown in jpdown's pictures. The other option would be to go all metal and order the (metal) bottom metal/surround for a Model 14/114 or 10/110 FCP and the accompanying magazine that will have a metal cap on the bottom.
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

DgTerrell
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Baker View Post
    If you want to keep using the Axis style magazine you would need the plastic bottom "metal"/surround like is shown in jpdown's pictures. The other option would be to go all metal and order the (metal) bottom metal/surround for a Model 14/114 or 10/110 FCP and the accompanying magazine that will have a metal cap on the bottom.
    Ok, thanks for clearing that up for me.

Team Savage
    If you want to stick with your current plastic bottom (Axis style) clip, then you just need to order the plastic DBM frame that holds the clip in place. I would also order a metal trigger guard with front bolt release cut-out. You will only be able to order the plastic frame direct from Savage Arms Parts. I have never seen the plastic frame stocked by any site vendor.

If you want metal, call Jim at Northland Shooters Supply and tell him you need the metal frame and bottom cap for a Savage SA or LA centerfeed DBM stock. You do not need another magazine box and follower. Just squeeze the sides of your current DBM/clip and pop off the plastic bottom cap. Replace it with the metal bottom cap.

DgTerrell
    Quote Originally Posted by jpdown View Post
    If you want to stick with your current plastic bottom (Axis style) clip, then you just need to order the plastic DBM frame that holds the clip in place. I would also order a metal trigger guard with front bolt release cut-out. You will only be able to order the plastic frame direct from Savage Arms Parts. I have never seen the plastic frame stocked by any site vendor.

If you want metal, call Jim at Northland Shooters Supply and tell him you need the metal frame and bottom cap for a Savage SA or LA centerfeed DBM stock. You do not need another magazine box and follower. Just squeeze the sides of your current DBM/clip and pop off the plastic bottom cap. Replace it with the metal bottom cap.
    Ok, great. Sounds easy enough. I'll probably go the all metal route, just don't know if I'll buy a new metal magazine so I'll have a spare, or get a bottom cap for my current one. Probably see how much the cap is first. Thanks for the info

DgTerrell
    So it appears I don't pay attention to details. I could have swore I did't have a frame around my dbm, but I do. I have a new Trophy Hunter with serial starting with J, and according to the rifle dating thread, the serial # "J" prefix started in late July/early August 2013. Sorry for causing any confusion, but looks like jpdown had it right when he saying that the latest models from the past year have the frame.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DgTerrell View Post
    So it appears I don't pay attention to details. I could have swore I did't have a frame around my dbm, but I do. I have a new Trophy Hunter with serial starting with J, and according to the rifle dating thread, the serial # "J" prefix started in late July/early August 2013. Sorry for causing any confusion, but looks like jpdown had it right when he saying that the latest models from the past year have the frame.
    Dang it all!!!!

The serial number on mine starts with a "J" and I did not get any kind of plastic or metal bottom metal around the frame of my TH! I guess in my case, "J"stands for, "You got Jaked." LOL

Basic Member
    are there any updates to this
    Forgive My Sins.... Jesus .... Save My Soul

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by daniel brothers View Post
    are there any updates to this
    As far as my experience and DgTerrell's tell us, some of the Trophy Hunters are made with inletting in bottom of stock to allow a plastic version of bottom mag surround metal and some to do not. If you look at the two photos you can see two versions. Before you buy, I'd suggest you inspect the stock to see how the one you might buy is designed. Unless you plan to modify it somehow, it does not really matter. If you want to replace the stock, you need to understand the differences. Or if you think you might want all "true metal" bottom metal someday, don't get one like mine, it won't take it. I don't really feel cheated, I just didn't get as nice a stock as I might have had the luck of the draw gone differently. Savage will build them the way they choose, we can buy what we choose. They never advertised it any differently.

That's how I see it, anyways.

The very first Trophy Hunters with synthetic stocks had the plastic bottom metal/surround. However, given how Savage never stops looking for ways to save a few pennies and increase their profit margins, they realized they could mold that surround right into the stock the same as they do on the Axis stocks and save the money and hassle of having a separate piece for those models. Thus the molded-in stocks like foxx's were born and are now the standard.

DgTerrell
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Baker View Post
    The very first Trophy Hunters with synthetic stocks had the plastic bottom metal/surround. However, given how Savage never stops looking for ways to save a few pennies and increase their profit margins, they realized they could mold that surround right into the stock the same as they do on the Axis stocks and save the money and hassle of having a separate piece for those models. Thus the molded-in stocks like foxx's were born and are now the standard.
    I thought about this too. My TH is a left handed model. So I thought maybe since they sell so many less in LH, they may have several left of that design and are still putting those on. Just what kind of popped in my head when foxx said his was different.

That's possible, but it's more likely that yours just sat in the distributors warehouse a lot longer due to it's being a LH model. Savage doesn't build a gun unless they already have an order for it from a distributor. The only warehousing they do is of parts and pallets of freshly built guns waiting on the remainder of the order to be built before they're shipped out. That waiting area in the factory is about the size of an average high school gymnasium.

DgTerrell
    Sounds like a reasonable explanation to me.

sales@boydsgunstocks
    Good morning, DgTerrell!

The tech specs now are available if you revisit that link. Also, in order to offer you more help, we would need to know whether yours has a center-feed, stagger-feed or detachable mag.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance!

Thanks!
    Wendy

DgTerrell
    Quote Originally Posted by sales@boydsgunstocks View Post
    Good morning, DgTerrell!

The tech specs now are available if you revisit that link. Also, in order to offer you more help, we would need to know whether yours has a center-feed, stagger-feed or detachable mag.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance!

Thanks!
    Wendy
    Thanks, I appreciate it.

Basic Member
    I think the magazine BDM thing is wholy over rated. Other than being able to pull a full mag I see no advantage in haveing a detachable magazine. Nothing wrong with the blind mag at all. I believe in the KISS principle. Simple with less parts and less cost. The only BDM I have on my Savages are with my XLR chassis. As a long range target shooter I load one at a time anyway. As a hunter I put 3 in the blind mag and load one. When done hunting eject and cycle the other too. Why would you need 10 rounds on a target/hunting rifle. I have single shot followers on all my stagger feed blind mag target rifles anyway for ease of loading single rounds. Toss that cheap plastic crap and put the mag body in a Boyds stock and be done. Less to go wrong and you won't screw up your stock milling or dremelling to inlet a BDM. The Boyds Thumbhole VT is the best value in aftermarket stocks for Savages. With the bottom bolt release you only need to do a small bit of inletting to get everything to fit.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rifleshooter308 View Post
    I think the magazine BDM thing is wholy over rated. Other than being able to pull a full mag I see no advantage in haveing a detachable magazine. Nothing wrong with the blind mag at all. I believe in the KISS principle. Simple with less parts and less cost. The only BDM I have on my Savages are with my XLR chassis. As a long range target shooter I load one at a time anyway. As a hunter I put 3 in the blind mag and load one. When done hunting eject and cycle the other too. Why would you need 10 rounds on a target/hunting rifle. I have single shot followers on all my stagger feed blind mag target rifles anyway for ease of loading single rounds. Toss that cheap plastic crap and put the mag body in a Boyds stock and be done. Less to go wrong and you won't screw up your stock milling or dremelling to inlet a BDM. The Boyds Thumbhole VT is the best value in aftermarket stocks for Savages. With the bottom bolt release you only need to do a small bit of inletting to get everything to fit.
    Rifleshooter308, would any additional parts (besides the stock magazine body, spring and follower) be needed to convert a DBM Trophy Hunter XP to an internal box/blind mag in a Boyds stock?

Just joined the forum. I purchased a wood stock directly from Savage last year for my synthetic 110. I purchased over the phone. Cost me $116. Dropped right in perfectly. It's free floated and looks awesome! I thought about going after market but thought the price was too good to be true!

thomae
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewX View Post
    Rifleshooter308, would any additional parts (besides the stock magazine body, spring and follower) be needed to convert a DBM Trophy Hunter XP to an internal box/blind mag in a Boyds stock?
    Depending on how tightly your magazine box fits into the cutout, you may need to either shim the magazine to get it placed correctly or else use an "L" clip that holds the rear of the magazine at the correct height. Don't know the Savage part number offhand for the L Clip, but they are extremely inexpensive.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12