Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wood stock for 11 trophy hunter xp bottom bolt release

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    syncro87

wood stock for 11 trophy hunter xp bottom bolt release

Hello,

I'd like to change the synthetic stock on my 11 Trophy Hunter XP, DBM, to wood. Preferably something similar to the Boyds Classic. I see that they specify that their stocks are not for the bottom bolt release guns ( bolt release just forward of the trigger guard). I emailed Savage directly and they indicate that there is no wood stock that I can purchase through them, only a laminate thumbhole which really isn't what I'm looking for.

When I bought this gun, I assumed incorrectly that it would be commonplace enough to be able to find aftermarket wood stocks. Looking back, I should have bought the 10 TH in wood.

If anyone knows of a wood non-thumbhole stock similar in design to the Boyds Classic that fits my rifle and you could pass the info along, I'd appreciate it.

I'd venture a guess that there are a fair number of people also looking for wood stock options for the 11 Trophy Hunters with bottom bolt release.
    Last edited by syncro87; 10-04-2013 at 08:07 PM.

Basic Member
    I just purchased a Boyds Tacticool for my model 12 with bottom bolt release. I am very happy with it. It needed slight inletting with a dremel to allow for the bottom bolt release, but it was not difficult, took about 10 mins. I am by no means a skilled hobbyist or woodworker. :) Just ordered another , ( for the dbm) for model 11 trophy hunter xp in .260. Will do the same for it.

syncro87
    Sounds like you have the same gun I do with that 11 TH XP but in a different caliber. If you don't mind, let me know how that goes. I had read somewhere that the plastic stocks for the trophy hunters posed a problem due to something with the DBM but can't remember where I read that now. Appreciate the reply. If it goes well with your 11, a pic or two of the process would be fantastic.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by syncro87 View Post
    Sounds like you have the same gun I do with that 11 TH XP but in a different caliber. If you don't mind, let me know how that goes. I had read somewhere that the plastic stocks for the trophy hunters posed a problem due to something with the DBM but can't remember where I read that now. Appreciate the reply. If it goes well with your 11, a pic or two of the process would be fantastic.

Will do... but it will take a few weeks to get the Boyds Tacticool because they just started offering them today, and they said it will take a couple weeks to get made... Anyhow, it really is not difficult... I suggest going ahead and buying it... when you get it, attempt to place the trigger guard in the stock and you can see where it hits wood. Just "whittle" it away with a dremel. ALso, compare the inside of the stock around the trigger assembly inlet area with your original plastic stock. You can see where it needs to be relieved. I just hacked away at it til everything had clearance to move properly. If you don't have a dremel, needle files and small chisels would work just as well, maybe better.

Come to think of it, there may be a problem with the DBM... will see how well it fits the cheaper plastic parts on the Trophy Hunter DBM. Will see. Regardless, the bottom bolt release is no big deal to fix.
    Last edited by foxx; 10-04-2013 at 11:06 PM. Reason: added more thoughts

Team Savage
    The Boyds SA CF stocks with DBM cutout will work with your 11 Trophy Hunter action and composite DBM assembly. You may have to releave some wood under the trigger guard so the TG release lever does not bind. The stock will also be inletted for the side bolt release lever.

stangfish
    You may also need to use a Dremel with a sanding drum to fit the trigger guard. The width of the bottom release TG is thicker than the standard TG.

syncro87
    Thanks for the help, everyone.

And/or you can put bottom metal in a stock with a dremel and mill bit.

You can open up any wood stock for the bottom release. I did it with a dremel and mill bit. If I remember, I had to remove some wood on the interior trigger area to clear the lever then milled out the area in front of the trigger guard for the release. The gun pictured is in a Stocky's varmint thumbhole.

DgTerrell
    This thread was just what I was looking for. I got my Model 11 Trophy Hunter .308 earlier this week, and I too, am wanting to put a wood stock on it eventually. Snowgetter, those pics helps a lot, thanks for those.

carlosburitica
    just got am 11/111 th xp on 30-06 left hand bolt an will love to have a nice wood stock on..........

carlosburitica
    suscribed

You guys with the Trophy Hunters...correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they use the Axis style magazines that have the latch tab built into the plastic magazine cap? If that's the case a DBM stock isn't going to work unless you spend the extra money to buy the DBM bottom metal and metal magazine cap to go with it (an additional $140 or so in parts last time I checked).

This is where Savage's desire to save a penny or two has really been causing problems. We have the standard metal magazine cap/metal bottom plate combo, the plastic magazine cap/plastic bottom plate combo, and we have the Axis magazine/molded in bottom plate combo all being used on Savage 110's. The metal/metal combo is used on most of the premium models (classics, weather warriors, law enforcement, etc), the plastic/plastic combo is used on certain package guns, and the Axis/molded combo is used on other package guns.

It's enough to make your head spin trying to figure out and remember what specific models come with which DBM setup.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Yes, MrFurious, my Trophy Hunter has a cheap plastic latch attached as you describe. Someone told me it will still work in the new Tacticools, but I do not know for sure because I have not rec'd it yet. If it does not work, I am not real happy about that, but I am going to make my Tacticool rifles single-shot by adding a $15 single shot loading ramp from Sharp Shooter Supply. I hope that solves the problem.

My Model 12 has the better metal bottoms and I have not attempted to install it into the Tacticool. . I bought the "blind mag or stagger feed model" for it before the newer DBM stocks were even offered.

I agree 100% with your bigger point, though. I think Savage makes too many varieties of various levels of quality just to be able to offer cheaper prices on rifles that are rather economical to begin with.

Team Savage
    Yes, the Savage TH uses the same composite (plastic) DBM frame and magazine bottom cap with tab latch/release used in the Savage LW Hunter and Savage Axis models. I am not sure if the Axis has the DBM frame built into the stock or not. But the lighter, removable composite DBM frame and bottom cap used in the Savage LW Hunter, Savage TH XP and Savage Hunter XP center feed DBM stocks will work in Savage factory and aftermarket centerfeed stocks with a DBM/HFP cut-out. Likewise, the Savage metal center feed DBM frame and metal bottom cap will also work in the Savage LW Hunter, Savage Hunter XP and Savage TH stocks. Just make sure you have the SA or LA parts to match your stock and caliber.

The metal DBM frame and bottom cap with metal magazine box and follower weights approximatley 12 oz. The composite frame and bottom cap with the metal magazine box and follower weights approximately 9 oz. So using the composite DBM assembly reduces the overall weight of the rifle by about 4 oz. The plastic trigger guard shaves off another 1 oz.
    Last edited by jpdown; 10-15-2013 at 01:40 AM.

M4J0R T0M
    Subbed

Someone post up a good clear picture showing the full bottom plate/magazine on your TH so I can save it for use in a FAQ article showing the different DBM setups Savage is offering. Even I'm confused at this point as 1) nobody uses the same terminology in describing what they have (mag cap, bottom plate, surround, who knows what else) and 2) Savage can't seem to make up their minds on what style they're using on which models.
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    Someone post up a good clear picture showing the full bottom plate/magazine on your TH so I can save it for use in a FAQ article showing the different DBM setups Savage is offering. Even I'm confused at this point as 1) nobody uses the same terminology in describing what they have (mag cap, bottom plate, surround, who knows what else) and 2) Savage can't seem to make up their minds on what style they're using on which models.
    Here is a photo of the "bottom metal" of my .260 Trophy Hunter. Note that there is not "bottom metal" for the Magazine. It is solid plastic, molded into (as a part of) the whole stock.

Last edited by foxx; 10-17-2013 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Why yes, yes I can fix it! :o)

Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    Here is a photo of the "bottom metal" of my .260 Trophy Hunter. Note that there is not "bottom metal" for the Magazine. It is solid plastic, molded into (as a part of) the whole stock.

Well, the link to my photobucket pic did not work... maybe MrFurious can fix it.

So Trohpy Hunters = Axis-style magazine and molded in bottom metal/surround

Team Savage
    Wow, it looks like Savage has changed it up again and further discourage aftermarket stock manufactures. The plastic DBM frame used in 2012 and 2014 on the Trophy Hunter XP and I assume Hunter XP is now being molded into the tupperware stock and not a seperate part.
    Last edited by jpdown; 10-18-2013 at 10:25 AM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpdown View Post
    Wow, it looks like Savage has changed it up again to discourage the aftemarket manufactures. The plastic frame on the Trophy Hunter is now molded into the stock and not a seperate part.
    Yep. I don't know if Savage is trying to discourage after-market business, or just trying to offer a wide variety of options and prices. But in my case, I'd have been better-off buying a used action with bottom metal. (One was posted on here after I got my new TH , and sold today for $350). Before I am done, the only original parts I'll have left on mine will be the action anyhow. It certainly makes it harder to buy new from online dealers, because you don't really know what you're getting without actually holding it and inspecting it yourself.

Oh well. Live and learn.

DgTerrell
    Ugh I'm so confused, so I'll just put it bluntly. What parts do I need, if anything, to be able to get a boyds classic wooden stock on my left handed m11 trophy hunter xp? I would put the specs down for the Boyd stock, but the page has changed and it's saying all the stocks are sold out and no longer list the fittings for it. Here's the link http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/produc...55391&cat=1219

here's a cruddy pic of the inside of my current stock, and the bottom is the same as foxx's pic below.

Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post

thanks
    Last edited by DgTerrell; 10-18-2013 at 03:23 AM.

sales@boydsgunstocks
    Good morning, DgTerrell!

The tech specs now are available if you revisit that link. Also, in order to offer you more help, we would need to know whether yours has a center-feed, stagger-feed or detachable mag.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance!

Thanks!
    Wendy

DgTerrell
    Quote Originally Posted by sales@boydsgunstocks View Post
    Good morning, DgTerrell!

The tech specs now are available if you revisit that link. Also, in order to offer you more help, we would need to know whether yours has a center-feed, stagger-feed or detachable mag.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance!

Thanks!
    Wendy
    Thanks, I appreciate it.

Basic Member
    Try Numrich. They sell actual Savage Model 14 Classic wood stocks for the CF with the trigger guard release.
    Product # 1251710 - Gloss finish with Monte Carlo cheek piece = $132.60 + S/H.
    Product # 1366450 - Satin finish with Monte Carlo cheek piece = $127.30 +S/H.
    I put a satin finish stock on my M11 Trophy Hunter XP in 6.5 Creedmoor and it bolted right up with no fuss at all. I did have to buy a front sling swivel stud that was threaded. Just put a bit of soap on the threads and it screws right in. I believe it was the stud with 5/8" thread length. Uncle Mike 's brand sold at Walmart.
    Hope this helps. (They are in stock right now).
    Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast