Thread: Axis + Manners=possible?

Basic Member

Axis + Manners=possible?

So I tried to email and yesterday I was able to reach someone at Manners. I asked if they would offer a stock for the Savage Axis and the guy pretty much said NEVER.

Well, I ended up PM'g Tom Manners on on the Hide and asked and he was very warm to the idea. The Axis action might be more difficult then others available, but it seems like it would be doable.

I realize that buying a Savage/Stevens 200 would be faster, but it would cost me more since I had some things done to my Axis and I didn't want to have to buy another rifle and sell my current rifle.

I'm looking at the Manners Elite Hunter 4 as a hunting rig for my 300BO. If they can make me the stock, I'm going to have the inlet for CDI....that way I can use the 10rd AI mags (which are about the same price as the Axis mags).

http://mannersstocks.com/hunting/

I've been wanting a Manners stock as I heard such good things about the stocks. I love that the EH series are super light coming in at around 26ozs.

daviscustom
    If you have the front of the action (where the recoil lug notch is) faced off on a lathe, you can use a standard recoil lug and simplify life significantly.

Basic Member
    I'm pretty confident that Tom Manners and crew can figure it out. Would be cool to have other stock options for Axis rifles in general. I'm glad that Boyd's are going to offer stocks...truth be known, I just dislike wood/laminate stocks and I prefer synthetic.

This is going to be my hunting rifle as I can hunt with suppressor in PA, so I don't mind spending more on this rifle. Funny how a sub $300 rifle is going to turn into a $1,000 rifle.

sinman
    That is the problem with most of the high end stocks, they are $500+. Not to many are going to want to turn a $250 gun into a $1500+ gun with limited parts available. It is hard enough getting Savage long action stocks from certain places and there are 1,000x more of them. Most stock companies are going to look at demand and if they have 50 people wanting a stock inletted for a rifle they aren't going to do it, but if they have 1000 they might.

Basic Member
    I would bet there's 1000 willing Axis owners out there! A lot of guys own multiple Axis rifles as well.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

Basic Member
    I don't know many who have had the opportunity to build an Axis the way I have, but they are very easy to work with. They just need a little support and are no different than a 10/110 once they receive after market support. I like the fact that I can start with a $250 action and turn it into a $1500 gun. Leaves more room for money to spend on a barrel, stock, and glass.

I don't understand why there are after market bolt handles for the B-Mag already and not for the Axis! Seems like the B-Mag has not been acceptable as well as the Axis has. It's just interesting what companies choose to support sometimes.

Basic Member
    I know people who like their Axis seem to really like them. But the Axis is still a "marketing experiment" in progress. Other rifles have fallen by the way side that were around longer. I hope not, but I'm sticking with Stevens 200, for now, even if I have to buy them used.

Basic Member
    Really guys on these forums by used Stevens and model 10 rifles for build projects at the $250-$350 level all the time for rebuilds. The beauty of the Axis is you can start with a brand new action for the same price.

daviscustom
    I bet if Boyds does well with the Axis stocks, other companies will get interested. Everyone is sitting back waiting to see if the Axis is going to take off or flop. The rifles are accurate enough with the flimsy factory stock, it looks to me like an obvious upgrade......especially as reasonable as the Boyds stocks will likely be.

They were smart to offer the threaded barreled models.....now they need to offer them in 300 blackout and a few other suppressor friendly calibers.

Basic Member
    I wished Savage would stop changing the spacing. I measured the Axis and I measured 4.803" for screw spacing. I thought that Manners would just inlet for CDI DBM, but CDI only offers it for SA/LA and the Axis seems to be a different spacing.

Tom Manners asked to see some other pictures of the Axis stock, so I'm really hoping it can be done...if not, I'm going to try to find a used Stevens 200 rifle and do it right this time around.

My bet is he will get it done. Had to send in my barreled action for fitting, but they were able to work out the barrel nut thing for me in a remington action. As long as you are willing to ship yours in for fitting I can't see why he wouldn't. Pic of the new EH1 with mini chassis.