Thread: Turning down and threading the Axis bolt handle to install after market knob.

Basic Member

Turning down and threading the Axis bolt handle to install after market knob.

To the guys that have done it without a lathe. What were your methods?

Tools I have at hand are a dremel, Bench Grinder, and will be picking up a tap and die set with the 5/16 x 24 TPI pieces in it.

If you have pictures I would like to see what you did!

Basic Member
    http://gladesarmory.com/home/28/tact...k-knurled.html

I'm thinking this will be the knob I thread it for. Just would like a little advice on it before I start cutting/grinding.

busted leg
    I would check to see it clears the scope and able to operated freely

Basic Member
    I have quite a bit of clearance (almost a 1/2") from the ball on the stock handle currently. As long as I grind down and thread the ball area it shouldn't be an issue. If I were to cut the ball off and thread the handle (Which would make the lever shorter than I want) there would definitely be a clearance issue.

I understand the concept. I'm looking for methods using hand tools to get it right without using a lathe like most the videos i've seen on youtube.

thomae
    Buy yourself a set of calipers. You will need them
    Mark the approximate diameter on one side using sharpie. Grind two sides with your grinder or better yet, a belt sander (a 1 inch wide sander works well). Keep the metal cool and go slow. when you have flattened the two sides, turn the bolt handle 90 degrees and mark the approximate diameter using sharpie and grind it down to a rectangle. Keep everything oversize while you are roughing things out.

Make sure the rectangle is larger than you need and if you are going with a 5/16" thread, remember that if you grind to 5/16" you will have ground off too much. There are lots of websites that allow you to look up the proper diameter of a rod for threading.

Start grinding down the four corners, making sure you go slowly and remember that you need to grind down half the distance on each side to keep everything centered.

Measure, grind or sand for about 5-10 seconds, dip in water to cool, turn slightly.
    Repeat this about a few hundred times until you have the proper diameter.

Remember, it is easy to take off a little bit of metal if things are too big, but if you grind down too much, it is difficult to put back on a little bit of metal.

Remember, you can thread a rod even if it is not perfectly round. ...but try to get it close.

Good luck. Be patient, take your time.

I hope this helps.

Basic Member
    That's kind of how I saw it going! I have a bench grinder though and not a sander. I have a set of calipers, so that is covered. I guess I will just take it nice and slow. I think this will be my next project then! After all the bolt handles for the Axis run about $11 minus shipping.

daviscustom
    It really is very forgiving as long as you get it pretty close. If you have corners that are a little too big the die will round them off. The big thing is getting the die running square to the direction you want the knob to screw on. Just take it slow and if it binds up on you, back up the die until it frees up and try again.....hopefully you will gain a little each time. A little thread cutting oil is helpful too.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by daviscustom View Post
    It really is very forgiving as long as you get it pretty close. If you have corners that are a little too big the die will round them off. The big thing is getting the die running square to the direction you want the knob to screw on. Just take it slow and if it binds up on you, back up the die until it frees up and try again.....hopefully you will gain a little each time. A little thread cutting oil is helpful too.
    Davis, you used a hand turned die for yours I assume?

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

daviscustom
    Yes I did mine all by hand with a belt grinder and a die.