Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Axis Bullpup Build

ironmk

Looks interesting, made any progress?

Basic Member
    Dang I saw a reply and was excited too see some progress!

ironmk
    Quote Originally Posted by missed View Post
    Dang I saw a reply and was excited too see some progress!
    Sorry to get you excited but figured it might stir a response and update????

daviscustom
    Sorry guys, I have been working on it but not much to show. Been working longer hours at work so I haven't had a lot of time to work on this. Due to have the barreled action ready to go late Novemberish.......hoping to get the trigger linkage done by then, but with deer season coming up I may not be able to finish the rifle till after I get the action back from Sinman. Still waiting on Form 1 paperwork as well so no progress on the can either.

It may be a while but I will get it done. Too much time and money invested to let it slide.

SheepDog29
    I can not wait to see the finished product for this project it is amazing

Man this build is AWESOME !!!! Can't wait for an update.....with pics!
    Welcome to my home.....FYI..... That locked door you kicked down was for your protection.... not mine!!

daviscustom
    Sorry there hasn't been much to report on this project. Still waiting on a barrel, and it has dragged me down to the point of not really being able to get very excited about working on it until I have a barreled action. The dang BATF is incredibly slow as well....still no form 1 paperwork either.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by daviscustom View Post
    Sorry there hasn't been much to report on this project. Still waiting on a barrel, and it has dragged me down to the point of not really being able to get very excited about working on it until I have a barreled action. The dang BATF is incredibly slow as well....still no form 1 paperwork either.
    I heard someone say form 1 is closing on 18 months now I'm at 8 months on a form 4 now....

daviscustom
    I hope not.....I have been finding reports of folks that sent in their paperwork in late Feb. 2013 have been getting their stamps in the last few weeks. That is when mine was sent in, but I did have to do a correction on mine, so I am hoping this month sometime.

Basic Member
    I hope it shows soon I can't wait to see it finished. The 18 months maybe on new applications since your already in line I would think it would be soon. I was told 8 months on my 4 when I put it in so I figured I'm just in the holiday delay now... I think I'm going to pick up an Axis for one of these type builds now! I just wish I could go integrally suppressed and still have the 16" oal barrel

daviscustom
    The biggest question I have about this build at this point, and something you may want to start thinking about if you want to do one, is the length of pull on the trigger. Because of the length of the action with the bolt open, there is a fixed length established from the recoil pad to the front of the magazine.....unless you want to allow the bolt to cycle over the top of your shoulder....about a 13.5" to 14" length of pull appears to be about as short as I can get....unless you are building in a caliber that is low recoil, then you could save close to an inch.

If I do some sort of a retractable bolt stop, that would help the situation. The custom Remington style bolt stop that was suggested would be a good solution except I will have a cheek rest in the way to push the button....the cheek rest will cover the left side of the action, and also act as a blast shield in the event of a case rupture or other nasty situation.
    Last edited by daviscustom; 01-01-2014 at 02:28 PM.

daviscustom
    I hope it shows soon I can't wait to see it finished. The 18 months maybe on new applications since your already in line I would think it would be soon. I was told 8 months on my 4 when I put it in so I figured I'm just in the holiday delay now... I think I'm going to pick up an Axis for one of these type builds now! I just wish I could go integrally suppressed and still have the 16" oal barrel
    No reason you couldn't do an integral if you can live with a tax stamp dedicated to one rifle. What caliber are you thinking about?

Basic Member
    I am on the fence of being stuck to that rifle for the stamp, I would definitely want to machine parts in the methods that the trust and stamp number is on a non wear part so barrel and baffles could be replaced. I was originally thinking 308, but the 458 socom has crossed my mind.

daviscustom
    Unless you are an 07/02 manufacture, the baffles are not replaceable by the form 1 builder. The form 1 is considered to be a one shot deal on your design, so no experimentation with baffle designs or replacement of baffles except by a licensed manufacture. I presume the barrel would be something that could be replaced.....but that might be a sticky point, and depending on the design it could easy be considered a "silencer part" and also have to be replaced by a manufacture. Lot's of folks like to point out that the "form 1" is not a license to experiment......just to build one silencer. The manufactures, as you might imagine, are the ones making sure to drive that point home......but my understanding is the BATF has the same stance on that issue.

daviscustom
    I am on the fence of being stuck to that rifle for the stamp, I would definitely want to machine parts in the methods that the trust and stamp number is on a non wear part so barrel and baffles could be replaced. I was originally thinking 308, but the 458 socom has crossed my mind.
    You will likely want to stick with a heavy recoil pad for either of those choices, since the rifle may well be a light-weight.

I am expecting mine to be similar to shooting 12 gauge slugs.

daviscustom
    Just got word from sinman that my barrels are finally in route to him from McGowen.....I hope they are worth the wait.

This build will be re-energized once I get the barreled actions back. I got the Form-1 paperwork about 3 weeks ago, so everything is ready to continue forward. I haven't worked on it much for a long time.....been waiting on barrels for so long I finally had to walk away for a while.

Basic Member
    Yeah progress!

daviscustom
    Progress has been happening on this project over the last 2 1/2 months, but I wanted to work out a few things before I showed my progress in case I decided to punt and order a Tacticool........which I haven't ruled out yet.

I approached this stock design from a "making it work" point of view and although I did give some consideration to what the final product would look like, my top goals were to make it compact and accurate.....and make it comfortable to shoot. Most would say if it isn't comfortable, you won't be accurate shooting it, but they are still I think separate issues that go hand in hand.

Bullpup rifles are notorious for having crappy triggers and I have created a design that I think transmits the feel of the actual trigger to the shooter very nicely.

Anyway I started off just inletting all the parts into a hunk of walnut and tried to place them where they needed to be for the finished stock as I did this. Not knowing exactly what the final product would look like was a hindrance, kind of a catch 22 situation where I needed to know information on the final form of the stock, but the final form was in part dictated by how the parts were installed in the stock.....and whether it would all come together into something that was comfortable to shoot was in the mix too, right along with the aesthetics too.....was it going to be something I would take out in public when it was done. In retrospect I think the aesthetics of the final product would have bee more successful if I have started from that end and figured out how to make it work....but I think that would have been difficult to do without the experience I now possess. As it sits now the stock is not finished. It have gotten to the point where I feel I won't be embarrassed to show it in public, but I still have some refining to do, hopefully a little weight to shave off too. I have not bedded the action yet, or shot it, but here is a few pics of my progress so far.

Here is the stock with the main parts installed and a chunk of aluminum in front of it to simulate what the suppressor will look like.....haven't started on it, but I do have the paperwork.

Sliced off the bottom of the stock and made it into a removable cover to house/gain access to the trigger linkage. The trigger linkage is basically an enlarged version of a 1911 trigger bow that straddles the magazine.

Here is the first stage of reshaping the stock....drawing on an Anschutz position rifle for a little inspiration.

Still need to make a few cover plates to cover the holes on this side.

This is the last pics I took, I have made a few more refinements but not a lot....still looking for refinements and places to lighten....the scope is not attached, just sitting there to give an idea what it will look like.

If anyone has suggestions on refinements, feel free to speak up. There are things that the internal mechanism will not allow. I wish I had designed the trigger linkage so the forward trigger could be up closer to the action but hindsight is 20/20....maybe someday, but that would require significant rework....I just want to see what I can do with what I have at this point.
    Last edited by daviscustom; 05-10-2014 at 04:39 PM.

daviscustom
    Got a little done this morning. Finished up the side cover to keep crap out of the mag latch hole and the trigger access hole.

Started by making a plate the finished size (other then thickness) then used a router to inlet the hole in the stock.

Fit the cover plate to the opening.

Planed the cover plate to fit flush in the hole and flush with the bottom, and installed 3 screws to hold it in place....and went ahead and slightly beveled the edges of the opening and the plate to reduce the chances of the finish chipping when installing and removing the plate. This also makes the fitting a little less fussy so minor gaps don't show up too bad.

This cover plate is almost not going to show at all since the adjustable cheek rest will cover most of it.

Basic Member
    Looks excellent! I had the thought of a solenoid trigger mechanism on a bull pup would be slick. This really makes me want to build one!

daviscustom
    Very sorry for the delay to those of you that were interested in this build. I have been working on the rifle and I will take updated pics the next time it is fully assembled. I am basically down to bedding the action, finishing the machine work on the scope mount (waiting for CNC access at work), building the suppressor (still kicking around designs), and anodizing all the aluminum parts.

I got side-tracked with the suppressor design and with starting to build a second host for the suppressor (DI 45acp AR pistol)....and life got busy for a while too....still is busy as far as that goes, but I will try to get some updated photos up soon.

I forgot all about this, but remember I really enjoyed reading through the thread. Looking forward to seeing where the project is currently.

Wow. Impressive project. You got some skills...
    You know what I like best about people? Their dogs.

Basic Member
    All I got to say is...DUDE...YOU GOT MAD SKILZ...

daviscustom
    Ok, sorry for the delay, it has been a busy weekend and I finally just decided to put it together and take a few picks to get you guys caught up on the project.

I was originally thinking about stippling this stock in the recessed areas, but in the process of carving them out, I kinda liked the hand carved texture and decided to live with it a while and decide later. I am not thrilled with the height of the stock, but I am pleased with the way it feels in a standing position...reminds me of a position rifle. Still have the suppressor to build, so it will add length and make it more of a standard rifle length and proportion.

Seems a little busy visually to me too, thinking about stippling all the recessed areas and staining them dark or coating the recessed areas with textured bed liner to match the grip. All the metal parts will end up being black except maybe the barrel, and it will be bead blasted at least.

Questions, comments, and suggestions welcome!

Last edited by daviscustom; 11-23-2014 at 06:51 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast