Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bolt lift kit for new bolts with cocking idicators as well as older style bolts

Basic Member

Bolt lift kit for new bolts with cocking idicators as well as older style bolts

Ok guys, I have worked out a way to reduce the bolt lift on the new indicator bolts. I did some testing on an older bolt today and how it is designed they will work on either new indicator bolts or older bolts equally well.

I still have to do some more testing but as it stands right now it seems good. I measured the bolt lift on my gun that has a clipped firing pin spring and these are the results:
    Without anything the bolt measured a little over 5 1/2 lbs.
    With the old bolt lift kit (38 special case) it measured 4 1/2 lbs.
    With the new version it measured 2 3/4-3 1/2 pounds (testing was a little harder because the lift was light)
    I tried with the old bolt lift kit and the new one together and it was heavier so I went back to using only the new version.

I still need to do some more testing and I have sent out a few samples to people for them to try. I am going to see if they are getting the same results as I am. It requires NO modification to the gun and the gun can be returned to factory condition in about 3 minutes. I fired off handloads as well as factory ammo and it was 100% reliable.

Another thing is that the new version allows the bolt handle to raise about 30 degrees (almost horizontal) before you start to feel the spring tension. This should help with sticky cases because in the first 30 or so degrees of the bolt movement you are only fighting extraction and not spring tension as well.

When ever I feel comfortable with them I will randomly send them to people if I think it will help them. Please do not swamp me with PM's as I am not sending any out within the next 2-3 weeks. I will be waiting on the machinist to make more because I only have 6 test samples left and those are probably already spoken for. As with the 38 special cases these are going to be FREE as well. I will not accept any money for them when I do start sending them to people.

These work better than the 38 special version I made and have been giving away.

Dolomite

Edited to add:
    Savageboy and GaCop are two who have one of these on the way. Hopefully they will chime in once they are able to fully test them.

steveinwv

Re: Bolt lift kit for new bolts with cocking idicators as well as older style bolts

Very interesting. I'll be interested in one when available.

cwop

Re: Bolt lift kit for new bolts with cocking idicators as well as older style bolts

me too you just cant beat gordon s prices. i wonder what prinicpal he is using to make a profit on these.

bob

cwop

it just came to me he is making up the loses in volume an old trick

best regards

bob

TnTom

its the old loss leader trick

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by TnTom
    its the old loss leader trick
    ???
    No clue what you mean.

Dolomite

fatdaddy

hey dolomite,
    would gladly pay for that much lift reduction.... Bill

wintermute76

A loss leader is a product sold at an unusually low price in order to attract people hoping they'll buy something else of higher profit margin at the same time.

That said, I'll gladly try one out if I may :)

Basic Member

When mine gets here, I will give a full report. Dolomite isn't looking for anything else. He really likes helping people. He has done several things- trigger jobs on my 10/22, etc. for no charge.

Basic Member

Making money or not is not important to me, Dolomite has his own reasons.
    What is Important to me is the fact that he spends his time and money
    to IMPROVE the Savage rifle and community.
    That being said, I hereby award Dolomite ONE MILLION "ATTABOYS"
    Proud Member<br />EOD Master Blaster&#39;s

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute76
    A loss leader is a product sold at an unusually low price in order to attract people hoping they&#39;ll buy something else of higher profit margin at the same time.

That said, I&#39;ll gladly try one out if I may :)
    Thats is kind of funny seeing how I am not selling any of these and don&#39;t plan on selling anything. All the stuff I have sent out to people didn&#39;t cost them anything, not even postage. These are costing me both time and money yet I don&#39;t mind because it is helping others out. I have my reasons for doing this and it is definitely not for financial gain. Not saying I have a ton of money because I don&#39;t, I just like helping out people.

I will definitely be letting people know by PM if I have one with the name on it. As it stands right now I am making a few last minute design changes based on the batch I received today. The next batch should be picture perfect. I had to do a little bit of fitting to the batch I received today because I chose tighter tolerances than I really needed.

Dolomite

cwop

gordon

not in anyway trying to demean you just having a little fun. there is an old saying in the grocery business a business known for loosing money that your competition is using the polish principal to make up loses again not to offend anyone.

that they make their profit losses by losing even more money. what you do is generous to the extreme and i know you do it because you love it!!

bob

dmack

Quote Originally Posted by fatdaddy
    hey dolomite,
    would gladly pay for that much lift reduction.... Bill
    +1 and would be happy to donate to your R&D budget 8)

Basic Member

Sounds good, be interesting to see how the new one works. I would be interested in one when you get it finished up.

#1oneshot

I too would like to have one of your new lift kits, and I, like many others, appreciate what you do, thanks. Bobby

1Shot

...I&#39;ll throw my hat in the ring too... ..Never tried 1 yet..

phirebug

i know i&#39;m kind of new here, but is there any chance i could get in on this too? i just got an email from SSS this morning that my stuff is ready to ship, so hopefully I can start my build next weekend. :D

I&#39;m looking forward to receiving and testing one of Gordon&#39;s bolt lift kits. If they end up working as well as the prototype, he should patent it.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

vermonter

Dolomite, I don&#39;t need a bolt lift kit but I just wanted to say that your interest in Savage firearms and your willingness to help fellow shooters is admirable. Thanks.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by 1Shot
    ...I&#39;ll throw my hat in the ring too... ..Never tried 1 yet..
    PM me your address please so I can add you to the list of testers.

Thanks
    Dolomite

mprtech

I&#39;d love to give this a go. I have a 110 that could use a little help.

Basic Member

Ok guys I have everyone I need to test this new idea. I will be sending them out hopefully by Saturday, depending on how I feel. I think I have a good representation of all the Savage actions out there, everything from just bought to older actions.

These members are going to get the initial batch to test:
    wbm
    LeeH
    Lefty Savage
    Peter_Kirch
    Blue Avenger
    savageboy
    GaCop

The only thing I ask is that when you do receive them do not post pictures. It isn&#39;t the fact I am going to be selling them or worried about patents. I am just worried that an unforseen flaw might crop up. I do not want others to try to duplicate these when there might be a problem and potentially injuring themselves or others (I highly doubt it).

When I get feedback from these posters and all seems good, I&#39;ll order another batch of probably 20 or so for now and randomly send them to people. Again no need to PM me about it as I will just randomly pick people (my inbox has been overun over this posting). The lead time on the machinist is about 2 weeks so at a bare minimum it is probably going to be March before I get anymore in.

Dolomite

dmack

Sounds Great, Dolomite...looking forward to the feedback.

sliderule

Domolite Supafly,

How are you checking the lift pounds on the bolt?

Are you suggesting that everyone needs to cut there firing pin spring down to use your lift kit? Without going into theories and formulas of sorts, doesn&#39;t that go against most common practices of reducing trigger pull?

When using your lift kit, you will also need to shorten the BAS accordingly?

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by sliderule
    Dolomite Supafly,

How are you checking the lift pounds on the bolt?
    I actually used an electronic fish scale, hardly scientific but it worked to prove to me this might be worthwhile to pursue. I was able to "hook" it then tested each setup numerous times getting an average. I didn&#39;t just do one test and call it good. Also, I had someone test between this and a gun without it, their response was that it felt lighter as well. There definitely is a difference in how the bolt lift is both in weight and function.

Are you suggesting that everyone needs to cut there firing pin spring down to use your lift kit? Without going into theories and formulas of sorts, doesn&#39;t that go against most common practices of reducing trigger pull?
    One has nothing to do with the other, the bolt lift weight has nothing to do with trigger pull weight. This kit will not reduce or affect the trigger pull at all, only the force needed to lift the bolt after firing. The biggest complaint most people have against these guns is the bolt lift which is why I am trying to fix it. The reason why my spring was cut was because I had modified the gun previously, not specifically for use with this mod. Also, it is common practice to shorten the springs on these guns as a means to reduce bolt lift weight, nothing new or novel about that idea. With this new version there is no need to cut or modify anything.

When using your lift kit, you will also need to shorten the BAS accordingly? No need to modify anything on your firearm, just install my part and go. Installing it is a snap and is no harder than changing the bolt handle.
    This is still in the infancy stage of testing. I just want to make sure it is good before I have more made and start handing them out. As I said before these are going to be free. I won&#39;t be able to hand them out to everyone on this board but hopefully I can help out some people. I have my reasons for doing this and it definitely is not for any type of financial gain.

Thanks for the questions
    Dolomite

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast