Thread: Will an Axis trigger work on a 111?

Inebriated

Will an Axis trigger work on a 111?

SO! I've been doing a lot of tinkering lately, and I've also been doing a lot of shooting. Right now, I'm planning to turn my .243 Axis into a dedicated target rifle. Upgrading stock, barrel, scope, and trigger. Since my 111 is really just for hunting, I don't need the Accu-Trigger. I only get a practical benefit on the range. So since my Axis would be mainly a range gun, and my 111 doesn't need the Accu-Trigger, I was thinking of just swapping triggers. But I don't know if the Axis trigger will fit, as the Accu-Trigger has to be modified to fit the Axis to begin with. Can anyone tell me off the top of their head? I wasn't sure if this should go here or the 111 forum, but I don't know how many 111 owners would want to switch their trigger for an Axis lol.

Thanks!

Basic Member
    I'm going to jump in on this. Although I don't have a 11 and am not very framiliar with the set up maybe I can get you somewhere. I don't believe the rear action screw on the 111 runs through the trigger assembly like it does on an Axis. A friend of mine sent me some extra action screws when i was in need of some for my axis after one stripped out and they were from a 10/110 and were definitely different lengths.

I believe this is one of the reasons that the Axis will not work in a stock designed for the 10/110 based rifles other than the obvious difference in screw spacing.

I'm not sure if this is correct, but I know what it feels like when your question is hanging out with no replies.

If you put up a picture of the 111 trigger assembly I'll see what I can tell you.

On a side note I would keep the accu-trigger on the hunting rifle because there is more of a chance it will be dropped or thrown around while hunting rather than just going to the range.

I have the Rifle Basix SAV-1 in my Axis and it functions beautifully. I have it set at 1.5-2lbs currently and breaks like glass with no slop. This would be the route I would take if I was debating this between these two rifles.

Inebriated
    Thanks for the info! I'll get a chance to look at the rifles tonight, and I'll upload some pics when I do.

I was looking at the RB SAV trigger, but I figured I'd at least see if it was possible to swap the two, and save a few bucks.

Inebriated
    VERY INTERESTING RESULTS!

So I took a look at both triggers, and thought "well, let's just see"...

They both work in the opposite rifle, no modification necessary. The Accu-Trigger's blade safety still works 100%, the tang safety works (I've tossed the rifle butt on the floor a few times and pulled pretty hard, as well as visually checked for good contact with the screw that engages the safety), and disassembly/reassembly procedures involving the trigger are unchanged. The Axis trigger in the 111 also worked perfect. The bolt lock/tang safety are just as they were, the disassembly/reassembly process is the same, the rifle won't fire if dropped, and believe it or not, the trigger is better. I assume it's due to wear on the sear (older rifle), but still, that's a nice surprise.

I've slammed the bolt home on each, dropped them, and I can't get them to discharge. I feel like I'm missing something here, because I keep reading about having to fit the Accu-Trigger into the Axis, but I had no such issue. Is there a safety issue that I'm overlooking? I'm very pleased with the results, and I'm going to give them some range time in a few days. But until then, everything looks great. I can get pics if anyone needs 'em.

Basic Member
    That is interesting. I didn't know they were designed in the same manner!

Inebriated
    Yeah, it's a surprise. At first, the Accu-Trigger on the Axis felt heavier than it did on the 111, but considerably crisper than with it's stock trigger. The Axis trigger on the 111 felt a tad lighter than it did on the Axis, but MUCH crisper. I pulled out my other Axis with stock trigger, and it's the heaviest by far. I measured the pulls, and the results are what I would expect...

Axis with Accu-Trigger: 2lbs
    111 with Axis Trigger: 4lbs
    Axis #2 with stock trigger: 5lbs

So that is what I expect, but not necessarily what I feel. I think it has to do with the sear engagement. The sear on the 111 has had more use, and is likely better-fit than the ones in either of my Axis rifles. I am going to pull them both out again, and take a look at the engagement surfaces. I suspect that is the issue.

Truth be told, the 111, even with the Axis trigger still feels best.
    Last edited by Inebriated; 10-01-2013 at 06:04 PM.

Basic Member
    3-4lbs is pretty good for a hunting rifle. I bet with just a bit of polishing you could lighten the axis trigger in the 111 enough to be perfectly satisfied with it.

Inebriated
    I think you have my motives backwards haha...

I'm not terribly concerned with the 111's trigger, as it really is just a hunting rifle and sees 50 yard shots at most. The Axis, however, is going to be a dedicated target/long range rifle. So I want the crispness and weight of the 111 trigger, in the Axis. Problem is, the Accu-Trigger in the Axis doesn't quite offer the same thing as it did in the 111. That, I assume, is due to the 111's extra wear on the sear, which has smoothed it out a bit. The Axis hasn't had near as much use, so I do think that polishing will give me what I want.

Thanks for listening while I basically think out loud lol.

Basic Member
    Well it seems like it got the wheels turning at least. Glad it worked out! Another one for the Axis records.

Data: An Accu-Trigger from a 111 appears to be a direct drop in on an Axis!

Inebriated
    Glad I could help the future Axis owners out there!

Inebriated
    So upon further review, it appears that the trigger spring is actually more compressed in the Axis, due to a "plate" that rides under the safety. If you look at the photos, the spring is considerably more compressed (the screw is as far out as it'll go, making for the lightest pull). So while it works, it's extra heavy. It would appear that cutting coils little by little would be the best way to relieve some of that tension. It just won't drop back into the 111. I suppose I could some light filing on the "plate", and give the spring more room.

thomae
    Have you taken into account that when you put the axis back together into the stock the trigger pivots toward the front of the rifle which should relieve some of that spring pressure?

Inebriated
    I've not, but I'll look at it after dinner. Still, from the few pulls I've done with and without the stock, I don't feel very much difference.

Might consider trimming top of trigger , where the adjustment spring is. I have done a couple, just trim enough to give about two extra turns on the spring.

Inebriated
    I'll take a look at doing that, I hadn't considered trimming anything off the trigger itself. Thanks!

Inebriated
    So, I ended up swapping the Accu-Trigger spring with a pen spring I found lying around. It's perfect. I wouldn't trust a trigger this light without the Accu-Trigger's safety. Even though I couldn't get it to disengage the sear by dropping the rifle, I like knowing that the safety on the AT will prevent any accidental discharge. I've done a lot of monkeying around, trying to get it to fire inadvertently, and it's not happening. Going to hit the range tomorrow or Sunday, and see how it feels in live fire.

That mod has been shown on here before, and seems to make sense to make the accutrigger work better on the Axis.
    The one who dies with the most toys still dies--except in Christ.