Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone tried forging the bolt handle

daviscustom

Wondering about taking the stock bolt handle and heating it up to reshape it and forge out the ball to lengthen the handle. I am building an Axis bullpup and I would like to extend the bolt handle longer and angle it forward. Figured once it was drawn out, then I could thread the end and screw a knob on the end.

Just didn't know how that alloy would react to being forged and reshaped. Anyone know if it is cast or forged to make it?

Final project pics towards the end
    Last edited by daviscustom; 09-08-2013 at 10:29 PM.

It is cast, I am almost certain. I know the 110 series Savage knobs are. Do a search here and read through the (probably) hundreds of threads on bolt handles. There are some options available to retro fit the Axis to a "Tactical" style knob that you seek.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

daviscustom
    I found the alloy somewhere on line....but I can't remember what it was. Some alloys respond better to being reheated and messed with after being cast.....but I don't know about this one. I remember it wasn't an alloy I was familiar with.

Basic Member
    I found this on another forum I was thinking of sending mine in.

http://forum.pafoa.org/rifles-42/207...b-install.html

Not sure how they do it though.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

daviscustom
    That looks pretty good but I would like it to angle forward....I'm afraid that is going to involve heat to make it happen. Wondered about cutting it at the bend, and repositioning it and TIG welding it back together. I still would like to draw out that knob into a longer stem and put a knob on the end.

I wonder how much that part is if a tear it up.

AngryTech
    Take a look here. I just found these today and am thinking of sending my bolt in for some custom work. Look in the "bolt parts" section.

http://www.sharpshootersupply.com

daviscustom
    Unfortunately those bolt handles don't work on the Axis......you can install them, but they don't work right from what I have read.

AngryTech
    Is it because those are meant for the 110's?

daviscustom
    Yes they will bolt on, but they aren't right when it comes to extraction....is my understanding. I haven't tried it myself, but it is covered in Axis FAQ.
    Last edited by daviscustom; 09-04-2013 at 06:14 AM.

Basic Member
    That is my thread from above. Here is a better picture of the bolt knob.

Basic Member
    The blued bolt handles are cast from 8620, the stainless are cast from 410. I've turned enough knobs off to know that it is very likely you will find a porosity void about the size of a BB in the middle of the knob.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

daviscustom
    Thanks for the info, I had found it once before, but I couldn't locate the source when I looked this time. I knew it was an alloy that was not familiar to me. I wonder if there is a chance of heating that up cherry red and just changing the angle of the dangle to slightly forward without messing up those cavities? Then I could turn the knob down and make big knob however long it needed to be.

stangfish
    You can do it.

Basic Member
    They are only about $11 to order a replacement on the savage website. Was just looking today

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

daviscustom
    That makes it easier to experiment, I can risk $11.

Basic Member
    I would order another just in case and if it works out well maybe you can hook me up too lol! I keep thinking about sending mine off to Phoenix Customs, but didn't really want to let go off $100 to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by daviscustom View Post
    Thanks for the info, I had found it once before, but I couldn't locate the source when I looked this time. I knew it was an alloy that was not familiar to me. I wonder if there is a chance of heating that up cherry red and just changing the angle of the dangle to slightly forward without messing up those cavities? Then I could turn the knob down and make big knob however long it needed to be.
    Forging is usually done at temperatures quite a bit hotter than cherry red, which I think may be a dubious yardstick in and of itself. It also may be prudent to heat treat after forging to remove the stresses that forging imparts. The bolt handle doesn't really suffer too much abuse in normal operation, but the last thing I'd want is a broken one.

Sharpshooter's right about the void in the knob. When I was tapping mine for my epoxy knob project, I could feel the empty space with both the drill and tap.

daviscustom
    Yes I am a little concerned about it getting brittle after it cools. Thinking at this point I may just try changing the angle in that skeletonized area and just grind down the ball and thread the end. Probably try to have a container of hot sand to cool it down in after I'm done.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    I would order another just in case and if it works out well maybe you can hook me up too lol! I keep thinking about sending mine off to Phoenix Customs, but didn't really want to let go off $100 to do so.
    This is a great way to draw attention to yourself from the moderators and/or get a thread like this shut down fairly quick. Not only does it put the OP in an uncomfortable and probably unwanted position, but you've also set him up to potentially violate the rules here depending on his response to that request.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Understood, I will leave it at that!

daviscustom
    I am hoping to get time this afternoon to try reshaping the bolt handle.....will see how it goes.
    Last edited by daviscustom; 09-08-2013 at 09:24 AM.

stangfish
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    Understood, I will leave it at that!

Rebel

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
    Rebel
    LMAO.... Thanks Stang.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

daviscustom
    Well the answer is "YES" of course the bolt handle can be forged and reshaped.

I heated the handle at the different bends that were cast into it, and first took the bends out that I didn't want and then curved it forward. I started out to try and draw the knob out into a longer stem, but it was pretty hot today and everything had gone so well up to this point I decided to stop before I tore something up. I did forge it into something close to a cylinder before I quit, but I don't think I gained much length. I made a quicky aluminum knob for it, but I think I will likely make some changes to it before I call it done. It makes the action much easier to cycle and the extra leverage pretty much eliminates any concerns about the bolt lift issues.

I will take some pics and get them uploaded ASAP.

daviscustom
    Here you go.....going to take it to work and bead blast it tomorrow and then reblue it with Oxpho-blue.

Here is a pic in the action and the bullpup stock "in progress".....going to try to do all the inletting I can before doing any final cosmetic shaping, so no it won't end up looking much like a funky shaped 2" thick board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast