Thread: Savage 12 F class Shots Stringing

bionicbob

Savage 12 F class Shots Stringing

I have a Savage model 12 F class in 6.5 284. I have bedded it with Devcon 10110. The rear tang is floated and the barrel is floated .It strings a group of 4 or 5 vertical but stops going vertical after 4 or 5 shots and starts shooting back in the group. It will shoot .7 or .8 at 200 yards and not to prone to stringing. My load is Lapua brass cci br2 primer 51 gr of Hybrid 100 powder and Sierra 142 match kings jumping .0015. I have been hunting and shooting since 1963 and reloading since 1966. But this is my first attempt at target and long range shooting. Any ideas on how to correct this problem would be appreciated.

stangfish
    I wasn't clear on the distance you had vertical stringing and my understanding is that at 200 yards no problem. Thus if the stringing problem is at longer ranges like 400+ the thing to do is look at your ES in velocity.

Basic Member
    Does this happen for the first shots after cleaning the barrel, is it on every group as the barrel heats up? Need more information regarding the situation leading up to this since your loads may be fine and other factors could be the cause, especially if the stringing stops after a few initial shots.

bionicbob
    It seems better with a clean barrel. The second group i shoot is the worst then it gets better. I have shot up to 60 rounds with out cleaning it gets better but never goes away. maybe the bullets just are not settled down at 100 yards. It will shoot almost as good at 200 yards as 100 yards. .6 at 100 and .7 or .8 at 200

bionicbob
    Stangfish I shot this rifle and load in late April in Bliss Idaho at the rock chuck derby at 1050 yards it held a 6 to 7 inch vertical group The wind opened up the horizontal to about 14 inches. my ES is 12 to 14 FPS Maybe i am worrying about nothing Thanks

Basic Member
    Sub MOA at 1000 yd ain't too bad. Maybe you should try shooting more and cleaning less, and then clean mainly for fouling instead of copper removal with something like Hoppes. Afterwards clean for copper when the groups get bad, then start the process over again.

stangfish
    .7 at 100 and .7 at 1000. Yeah you might need to work your load down to about .3. Haha.

bionicbob
    Do not get me wrong i am very happy with .7 moa at 1000 yards But i though If it would shoot .7 or .8 at 200 it should shoot .4 or .5 at 100 maybe it is me. I would like to shoot some one hole groups. maybe the bullets have not stabilized at 100 yards. maybe i am not paying close enough attention at 100 yards. Just though if i could shrink my 100 yard groups it might help my longer range groups. Thanks for the input

Basic Member
    It sounds more like a bag or rest problem to me. How good does it track in the bags?
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

stangfish
    Could even be a parallax thing.

bionicbob
    I think maybe i am not pushing the rifle forward after each shot. It is after about 4 shot i notice that i have to push the rifle forward on the bags so next time i shoot i will try this. I think it may help with my cheek weld to for consistency. Thanks for the help

Basic Member
    I had quite a bit of trouble with my 12f, I found the stock was jamming in the rear bag as the bottom of the stock tapers from the pistol grip to the end of the stock, I ended up making it 5/8ths of an inch wide and parallel, which seems to have help quite a bit, I also modified the front of the stock and added an offset plate which had pretty much stopped the rifle torquing over. I wanted to put it in a SSS dog tracker, but I could not get one from SSS due to export issues