Thread: Questions About Bolt Locking Lug Length and Strength

Questions About Bolt Locking Lug Length and Strength

I have a model 112 Stainless long action action originally chambered for 338 Win Mag. I also have a brand new small shank barrel chambered in 300 WSM that someone turned down from a large shank barrel. The locking lugs on 300 WSM CRF actions I have seen are noticeably longer than the ones that came on the 338 WM but since SAAMI specs show that the chamber pressures for both these calibers are within 1000 PSI of one another, 338 Mag at 64,000 PSI and 300 WSM at 65,000 PSI, why in the world do you need that much more steel on the lugs? I also have a Model 12 BVSS-S that I would like to mount this barrel on and I already had someone cut down the tailpiece on a Magnum bolt head for me and I fit it to the short action bolt without issue. Is anyone out there running anything similar to these and am I worrying unnecessarily?

Thanks!

Jeff
    Last edited by Trapaddict; 09-29-2013 at 06:42 PM.
    Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a crack dealer an unlicensed pharmacist.

Basic Member
    You really don't need more thickness on the lugs, and I don't know why they made them thicker. The standard 1/2" lug on a magnum will take more pressure than what it takes for the receiver to fail.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Sharpshooter is correct. However, just to clarify, keep in mind that just because you're thinking the pressure is the same is not where you need to stop thinking. The WSM and RUM cases are larger in diameter than the belted magnum cases. While the PSI is the same or close to the same, that is the same PSI over a larger surface area pushing back against the bolt face which does result in more bolt thrust. That is probably why Savage made the WSM locking lugs thicker whether it was necessary or not. They also did it on the 338LM models too.

Maybe I am missing something here but if both of the case heads are the same diameter (within a couple thousandths), regardless of the diameter of the body, the pressure exerted on the bolt face is the same isn't it?
    Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a crack dealer an unlicensed pharmacist.

Technically........ The actual pressure it applies is from the INSIDE dimensions of the case not the outside. There is more area on the inside of a WSM case at the base than Win Mag. So the bolt thrust would be greater in the WSM than the standard belted mag case.

Practically, I'm of the opinion that there's not enough difference to worry with. Like Fred (Sharpshooter......also the owner/smith of Sharp Shooter Supply) has said, other things will fail before that bolt lug does.

My guess is lawyers got involved in the design.

Basic Member
    Well put Apache. I agree and you did a better job explaining it than I did.