Thread: Cost of components

Cost of components

Curious......
    Have some of you actually seen the price of components go down in your neck of the woods?
    If so......whats the average drop?
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

Basic Member
    Personally I have only purchased from vendors that did not jack up prices. I have a list of vendors that will never get my business again.... Unless I am very desperate. Chance favors the prepared person and I stocked up on components after the 2008 election. If you watch, pretty much everything is becoming available again. Except 22LR. Luck, Tim

thats a roger on remembering who jump,d on the "lemme stick it to ya" wagon.
    Ive seen a couple of vendors stay the course and they,ll always get my money.
    {John Wayne}

Basic Member
    Around here prices have stayed fairly stable on components. The run on stuff was managed through purchase limits. I, like others, also have some folks that lost any chance of my business due to their practices. As for supply, it is still somewhat sporadic, but it is slowly improving.

Components are still hard to come by around here. A large LGS has selves that are pitiful.........empty of powder, primers and only a few cans of powder. Their supply of bullets is getting a bit better but no like it was last year. A few months ago I ordered large rifle primers from an on line company who showed the primers "available", I'm still waiting for primers three months later.

pitsnipe
    I have had some Hornady 178 grn Match bullets on "back order" for going on 4 months with Bass Pro Shop (gift card from my son from Christmas) Ill get em when I get em at this point. Otherwise 175 grn SMK's have been tough to get locally (within a few hour drive anyway) But 175 grn Nosler CC's have been coming in. Picked up a few hundred, will compare to their rival the SMK's

Snipe

There looking better here in southwest texas. Ive been going down to a local shooting range which is goverment run and controlled to buy components. much to my suprise, they have alot of components, so much so i decided to join there club...not only is it a great shooting range, 100 out to 1K,,,,it has a great bar and grill,shade,...and i can now enjoy a 10% discount while buying components
    {John Wayne}

Pitsnipe,
    I don't care for the 178's, i'd swap you in a heart beat...

The SMK's have been around online rather frequently for some time now. Bought a few thou from Widener's or powder valley, can't recall. And rocky mountain reloading, nice guy just over in Deary. He gets all the ATK rejected lots to pull apart, since Speer is just down the hill in Lewiston.

Locally there is only on bid-ness that is fair and prices never moved. Otherwise my usual online haunts haven't moved process either, so I can't say I'm personally seeing things "come back".
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    Powder seems to be the hardest thing to find either locally or online.
    All else seems to be around without too much searching.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny68 View Post
    Personally I have only purchased from vendors that did not jack up prices. I have a list of vendors that will never get my business again.... Unless I am very desperate. Chance favors the prepared person and I stocked up on components after the 2008 election. If you watch, pretty much everything is becoming available again. Except 22LR. Luck, Tim
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiesindian View Post
    thats a roger on remembering who jump,d on the "lemme stick it to ya" wagon.
    Ive seen a couple of vendors stay the course and they,ll always get my money.
    You all aparently have never had a retail business. I want you to stop for a moment and figure out how to solve this problem...

[A] You're having great difficulty in getting you customers product and have seen your supply drop by more than 70% (meaning that you probably get less than 1/3 of the product quantity vs when things were not so tough). You sell out of whatever product you do get as soon as the product is recieved (practically never even makes the shelves).

[B] Because you can't get product, your sales have dropped big time. You don't want to let employees go, but it's costing you big money to keep the doors open and you can't "furlough" the rent, utilities and other overhead.

So... how do you stay in business? You'd like to shift business to selling more guns, but the most popular ones have also had supply issues AND the other guns don't sell so well because ot the ammo shortage.

What do you do?

One answer is - raise prices to help cover your cost of doing business. If you can come up with a better answer, then I'm sure the LGS community will be very pleased to hear about it.
    .22LR * 6.5x47 Lapua * .223 Rem * .308 Win * 260 Rem * Large Cojones!
    [I]"I can prove anything by statistics except the truth."[/I]