Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just currious

82boy

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    A shooter is only good as his worst shot.
    Simple, but very well said.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieNC View Post
    Well the term flyer is not unique to shooting, and it is widely referred to as an outlier in statistics. The point is it falls outside the normal distribution of the other data points, with the key feature being there is a lot of information and learning associated with that point (shot) that enables one to learn what is causing the problem (or depending on what you are doing, the outlier may be closer to the desirable result and is a good thing). Clearly if I am developing a load and 9 out of 10 shots behave well, and I have a gas attack and know I pulled the bad shot, then I will ignore that shot when characterizing the load; however, I did learn not to put too much Texas Pete on my eggs at breakfast as it can lead to bad shots! So if/when to declare a flyer depends on how the information is to be used to make decisions now, and how to apply it to various future situations.
    were you ever a politition? if not you may well have missed your calling lol.

Basic Member
    I deplore politicians but I can hold my own in most debates (with a touch of BS as necessary). My career did involve a lot of "ciffering" so I do know my way with numbers!

Basic Member

A "called flyer" is when you tell your shooting partner to make sure he watches the next bull prairie dog that you're getting ready to smack with your 30/378 Weatherby at 50 yards.

82boy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post

A "called flyer" is when you tell your shooting partner to make sure he watches the next bull prairie dog that you're getting ready to smack with your 30/378 Weatherby at 50 yards.

This is my vote for best response.
    Where have you been?
    Good to see you back.

Werewolf
    When I make a bad shot I usually just say "I pulled that one" or something to that effect. After I am through cursing. I guess a "called flyer"s just a way to try and make it sound better.
    I agree somewhat with 82boy, you gotta admit you flubbed it and try to do better next time. However as another poster stated, if you are testing ammo you only count the shots you feel were right and disregard the ones you know you screwed up. The hard part is being honest enough with yourself to admit it was you and not the ammo.

bflee
    It's kind of like a "mulligan" in golf. It happens when you shoot alone or with a few friends. They don't exist in pro golf or pro shooting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.