Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just currious

82boy

Just currious

What is a "called flyer?" I have heard this term used, but it makes no sense to me.

when shooting paper target (bench/prone for control and stability)and working on your groupings (pattern size) "usually" for 5 shots..you ocassionally get a round that hits way off the grouping...
    Those are called flyers.
    I believe you me.......I Hate them SOB,s...........
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

82boy
    Thank you for the explanation, but it is not what I am asking about. I know what a flyer is, but you see many targets on the internet, and people talking about post, and they mark out one shot, and call it a "Called Flyer." I want to know what exactly qualifies a flyer as a "Called Flyer."

stangfish
    You are a very experienced shooter. I get this feeling that you know exactly how the term is being used but you would like an oportunity to call BS. So if I was going to interpret the meaning I would say that someone pulled a shot and new it and realize it is not the load, not the rifle, but the person responsible for the shot being so far off. So there is your window of oportunity.

To me a called flyer is a round that YOU know will be a flyer and you call it so

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Whenever I pull a shot & I know it's going to screw up a perfectly good group, I don't call it a flyer of even a "called flyer".
    I usually spout off a flurry of curse words.
    I even try to make up some new ones.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Quote Originally Posted by Balljoint View Post
    To me a called flyer is a round that YOU know will be a flyer and you call it so
    "A miss that you can 'call' or plot in a shot book"
    To me, that is what the "called flyer" is. I have qualified Expert for 6 times in a row in the Marine Corps and they teach you to call your shots whatever position you are shooting from. Alot of the time I will know EXACTLY what shos hit out of the black because I can feel or see myself flich or pull the shot. This happens most of the time at the 200 yard line in the standing position...try pulling the trigger at the right time and hitting a 12 inch black circle all five times!
    Anyway, occasionally you will do everything right and the ROUND will miss the mark, which is a "flyer", other times you as the shooter will pull the trigger on a heartbeat or flinch and pull or push the shot and you will be able to know exactly what you did to throw the round off it's mark, that would be your "called flyer"

Just to help you understand, when on the rifle range during slowfire, we shoot the target, then the target is pulled down at the pits to be marked where the shot hit, while this is being done, we mark where we think our shots hit in a book on a "call" chart that has that particular target on it. When the target is ran back up, with the shot marker in place, we then mark where it actually hit on the plot chart. When the call is off, and the shot is off in the same place, that would be a "called flyer"...
    Last edited by jrhammo08sxt; 09-28-2013 at 01:31 PM. Reason: more info...

Basic Member
    "I pulled that one, high and right"(or wherever). To me, that's a called flyer.

Basic Member
    Basically the last thing you saw before the bang.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

[QUOTE=jrhammo08sxt;208620]
    Anyway, occasionally you will do everything right and the ROUND will miss the mark, which is a "flyer", other times you as the shooter will pull the trigger on a heartbeat or flinch and pull or push the shot and you will be able to know exactly what you did to throw the round off it's mark, that would be your "called flyer"
    [QUOTE]

That is my understanding of it as well. Although, when posting groups on the internet the flyers should be counted in the group size...LOL
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Basic Member
    I have always called the flyer the anomaly round. You know even when you have sent all five down range text book correct and there is still that one off in la la land that to me is a flyer. Those ones where you flinch, sneeze, wiggle, fart, blink those are just that string of colorful and creative words that little kids can hear through hearing protection and completely proficient at repeating.

Basic Member
    A "called flyer" is a term that only gun writers use.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Called flyer= 1. An excuse to make oneself feel better about said oneself after they have failed to complete all tasks in a repetitive manner while shooting. 2. A position assigned within a cheeraleading or acrobatic performance. The position usually being the smallest person who is routinely thrown in the air. 3. Slang for pilot.

Quote Originally Posted by missed View Post
    I have always called the flyer the anomaly round. You know even when you have sent all five down range text book correct and there is still that one off in la la land that to me is a flyer. Those ones where you flinch, sneeze, wiggle, fart, blink those are just that string of colorful and creative words that little kids can hear through hearing protection and completely proficient at repeating.
    isnt that what I just explained?...............hmmmmmm
    oh well
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    A "called flyer" is a term that only gun writers use.
    Yeah, real shooters refer to "called fliers" by several other names/phrases - none of which can be repeated here as they would violate the rule regarding obscene/vulgar language. LOL
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiesindian View Post
    isnt that what I just explained?...............hmmmmmm
    oh well
    Tapatalk.....didn't see your post, hey were on the same page on it!

A called flier is slang for bad shot,, a flier is when everything felt good and the call is right in there, and when you look and see that the shot was substantially out of the group, you call it a flier. Fliers are not a good thing and I try to stay away from them.

Hope I'm not repeating anything LOL.
    Last edited by DanSavage; 09-29-2013 at 02:36 PM.

82boy
    Ok here is my problem with the hole "called flyer" thing. Regardless what you call it, it has to be measured into the group size.

stangfish
    Now the whole group is messed up. What if your not competing but testing a load or a rifles accuracy and you knew your error goofed the group up?

82boy
    Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
    Now the whole group is messed up. What if your not competing but testing a load or a rifles accuracy and you knew your error goofed the group up?
    Then admit that the shot was screwed up, shoot the remainder of the target with the amount of shots you planed on shooting, and measure the entire group, then try to do better on the next target. If you feel the need to display this target, then admit that you screwed up the group, and put it at it full measurement. If your really concerned that your first shot could be off, then why not shoot it on another target, like a sighter target. If your always giving your self an excuse or an out, you will never improve. It is only when you except your failures, and attempt to learn from them that you will ever improve.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 82boy View Post
    Then admit that the shot was screwed up, shoot the remainder of the target with the amount of shots you planed on shooting, and measure the entire group, then try to do better on the next target. If you feel the need to display this target, then admit that you screwed up the group, and put it at it full measurement. If your really concerned that your first shot could be off, then why not shoot it on another target, like a sighter target. If your always giving your self an excuse or an out, you will never improve. It is only when you except your failures, and attempt to learn from them that you will ever improve.
    i think its very hard for some of us to admit we screwed up. which is why its a good thing there are rules at santioned matches.
    male ego no doubt plays a roll in those things. my question to 82 boy would be, (would you consider not taking sighter shots
    before shooting at a for record target?) even if you had shot a few hours earlier?

82boy
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    my question to 82 boy would be, (would you consider not taking sighter shots
    before shooting at a for record target?) even if you had shot a few hours earlier?
    Well actually I shoot very few sighter shots. My normal is I clean the gun between rounds, and I shoot 2 shots to foul the bore, and put a little heat in the barrel, then I go to the record target and shoot my record shots. I can say there has been a couple of times I preloaded for a club match, and did not have enough shots for sighters, and just shot record shots, and I did well. The way I clean the rifle disturbs it very little, and I could got to the record target and not shoot sighters, and put together a good group. When I practice I don't shoot any sighters. Even if there was a time of a couple of hours between strings (Highly unlikely) I would not be afraid to not shoot sighters. If the first shot is off, then I will just chase it.

82boy
    Just a thought, the term "Called flyer" is an oxymoron, meaning it contradicts itself. If something is "Called" it is predetermined or predicted, for example when you shoot pool or billiards (I am no expert on this.) it is customary that when you shoot the 8 ball, you "Call" or predict where that shot is going. It is also customary to "Call" or predict what will happen when you shoot a "Combo." Another example was when you was a kid preforming stunts, you "Called" out what you was doing or what was going to happen. Now the term "Flyer" as I know it is a shot that unexpectedly goes wild, in an unpredictable way. Now with that said how do you predict something that is unpredictable? I would find the term more acceptable if is was a "Culled Flyer" with Culled meaning it was removed.

Using the "Called Flyer" approach is basically giving your self a mulligan, and all you are doing is cheating your self. If you ever played golf, you will know of a guy that calls a lot of mulligans, and what happens is it detracts from the game. Eventually you will not want to play with this type of person.

Besides that sometimes there is stuff that happen in shooting that is unpredictable, this is why it is always good to shoot with someone else, to see if there are experiencing the same things that you are. (On top of the added safety benefit.) Flyers are not always bad things, as described in Tony Boyer's book, the force them selves to shoot flyers by playing a game called "Hit It." Tony describes the game as being played by two or more shooters, and the object is to chase the other shooters shot, in an attempt to shoot small groups. They will start out with one shooter shooting the first shot, then the next shooter will try to put there shot on top of the other shooters shot, and it will go back and forth or down the line until five shots are shot. Tony said at first they shot big groups but after doing this for sometime they was able to shoot shots in the .2's and .1 with several shooters.

I will end with this a Flyer is an opportunity to make your self a better shooter. What you do with it, is up to you.

Basic Member
    A shooter is only good as his worst shot.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Well the term flyer is not unique to shooting, and it is widely referred to as an outlier in statistics. The point is it falls outside the normal distribution of the other data points, with the key feature being there is a lot of information and learning associated with that point (shot) that enables one to learn what is causing the problem (or depending on what you are doing, the outlier may be closer to the desirable result and is a good thing). Clearly if I am developing a load and 9 out of 10 shots behave well, and I have a gas attack and know I pulled the bad shot, then I will ignore that shot when characterizing the load; however, I did learn not to put too much Texas Pete on my eggs at breakfast as it can lead to bad shots! So if/when to declare a flyer depends on how the information is to be used to make decisions now, and how to apply it to various future situations.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.