Thread: Are there any advantages in a pre-accutrigger action?

dirtdigger

Are there any advantages in a pre-accutrigger action?

Hey all! Today I stopped at my local fun store where I stroke a conversation with a guy who was looking at bolt actions and as I found out a minute later he was hunting for an older savage to build his project on. His number was called by a sales person soon after that and I 'm curious now if there is any advantage to an older rifle for a build other than cost. I haven't heard of pre accutrigger actions being higher quality, stronger or anything that a contemporary one wouldn't be but want to double check with y'all as I 'm considering a fast twist 22-250 (or AI) in the next half a year or so. Thanks in advance for your input!

stangfish
    The benefit of an pre/non acutrigger is price. Then you have the issue of born on date which may determine if you have a stagger feed or centerfeed. One more thing to consider about born on date is the type of bolt head...control round feed and push feed. Dad gum, it almost like buying a ford.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
    Dad gum, it almost like buying a ford.
    Lol! So true brother!

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

Volstandigkeit
    The benefit of an pre/non acutrigger is price. Then you have the issue of born on date which may determine if you have a stagger feed or centerfeed. One more thing to consider about born on date is the type of bolt head...control round feed and push feed. Dad gum, it almost like buying a ford.
    What models, generation had controlled round feed?

stangfish
    Mr. F has been gracious enough to provide this information for you. I recomend reading the non forum section of this site.
    http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...ins-Bolt-Faces

Volstandigkeit
    Mr. F has been gracious enough to provide this information for you. I recomend reading the non forum section of this site.
    http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...ins-Bolt-Faces
    Awesome, thanks! That also helps me with my jumping back and forth from building a 7RM and 7RUM.

Perhaps another good question would be is there any great advantage of a 7RUM over a 7RM in an older or newer Savage action?

stangfish
    I never have a chance to shoot 1500 yards so I can't answer that question. I do believe that a 280 AI with a 26 inch barrel can do what needs to be done on any deer sized game at some extreme distances.

Volstandigkeit
    Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    Perhaps another good question would be is there any great advantage of a 7RUM over a 7RM in an older or newer Savage action?
    Longer brass life because of the absence of the belt if you don't neck size the brass. Otherwise, higher cost to shoot and reload, and a little more velocity. That aside, none that I've found.