Thread: RCBS X dies

fatdaddy

RCBS X dies

How many folks use the rcbs X-dies? Can you tell me if these really stop brass stretching? looks like the neck would get thicker or build a shoulder do-nut... Any draw backs or input would be welcome. I figure its buy these or AI all my favorite barrels to deal with brass stretching. thanks, Bill

Basic Member

Re: RCBS X dies

I asked the same question a number of months back. The answer I got is to add another step the the process with a dedicated neck sizer and a dedicated FL sizer for longevity of brass.

I use a Lee neck sizing die that came with one of their kits and a Redding FL sizing die. I haven't used them much but I can say that I do not trim anywhere near as much which proves to me there isn't as much stretching or working of the brass.

Also, you need to start annealing if you want to get more loads. I was getting about 4 loadings before I started seeing case neck cracks. When I started annealing I could extend that quite a bit. If you are careful and take your time it is possible to really extend the life of brass. Just make sure if you do anneal do not let the heat get to the case head and soften it otherwise a catastrophic failure is likely.

Dolomite

steveinwv

I use X dies on my .223 with Lapua cases. No stretching. No neck thickening. Minimum amount of body sizing compared to my Hornady FL.
    They do work. Case annealing is also like free money. Anneal every fourth or fifth firing, and your case will last a long time.

hotbrass

I have used X dies on .223 for three years and everything seems to be fine. But it was that way before I bought the X dies also. So I cannot really tell at the moment if it really makes any difference.

Edd Panzella

Can anyone explain how the x dies prevent or limit case stretching. Doesn't the case stretch when fired? How can a die undo that without affecting neck thickness.

steveinwv

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Panzella
    Can anyone explain how the x dies prevent or limit case stretching. Doesn't the case stretch when fired? How can a die undo that without affecting neck thickness.
    RCBS website gives a good description.

fatdaddy

Well maybe I need to be annealing. I trim 223, 22-250 and 6mm br cases about every 3th firing. When 1 out of about 10 measured is found to be max length, I trim the whole lot of 100. I have only had 1 split neck and FL resize only. I use lake city and winchester in the 223, 22-250 are winchester, and lapua in 6mm br brass. I have never annealed any. I have loaded some of the 223 brass 7 and 8 times...and the last loading the primer pockets are starting to get loose on some of the oldest winchester. I dont load real hot and didnt feel this was out of the ordinary. Just figured it was time to cull the oldest batches. I'll do some research on annealing, and sounds like the x-dies are the real deal. Thanks for the input. Bill