Thread: Limited to No Info Found....Help

Chemrat 22

Limited to No Info Found....Help

Good day. I was given a Savage semi-automatic rifle, plagued with problems. Anyway, about the rifle first...on the barrel is Stevens, Model 887, serial number c771988. Just behind the rear sight is a small "93" stamped into the barrel.

When I first got the rifle, it had severe FTL issues, so I let a "gunsmith" of sorts work on it. He put a couple of parts, unknown to me, in it which seems to have solved the loading problems. He charged me $40, so it must not have been to serious of a problem. The problem I am experiencing now is with ejection. Spent casings seem to extract as they should, but they just drop out and fall, or roll off into my lap when I shoot from a sitting position. I am sure the empty casing should fly out of there, at least they do out of my Marlin Model 60.

Now, can someone tell me the manufacture date of this rifle, from the serial number and other info given above? Also, what's up with the weak or lack of ejection? And finally, where can I find a user manual for the 887, or for a rifle that is basically identical or compatible with it. I can't even find anything that shows me how to take this thing apart nor what to look for once I do.

Many thanks in advance.

>> Chemrat 22 <<

Basic Member
    Don't know anything about that rifle, sorry, but I would first pull the bolt and spray it with even carb cleaner or similar to clean, most likely "years" of gunk out of it. Then lightly relube it. Sounds like the parts work, but are hampered by gunk. I assume this is a 22? If so, and no luck here, you might also check over at rimfirecentral.com. Good bunch of folks over there also.