Thread: Noob question about aftermarket stock availability.

M4J0R T0M

Noob question about aftermarket stock availability.

Hello guys, I just found this forum and registered because I'm very close to pulling the trigger on new Savage 10 P-SR. I'm wanting to use the rifle for deer hunting and thought it would fill that role fairly well. I will also be upgrading the rifle and turning it into a precision type rifle and maybe use in a couple matches later on down the road. My question is this, what aftermarket stock upgrades are available for this model? Is the bolt release on the trigger guard like the TR model? Also, what are my options for adding a larger capacity DBM? Does Savage or any other manufacturer offer them or do I have to install all new bottom metal?

I'm pretty excited to get this rifle. It will be my first bolt action rifle ever, and to think I came so close to making a huge mistake and getting a Remington 700. In all seriousness, I was about to buy the Remington 700 AAC-SD. I was looking around the web trying to find the best price on it and I stumbled across the 10 P-SR.

I like the fact that the Savage comes with a sweet Accutrigger, 5R rifling, and a nice big tactical bolt handle. The really sweet thing is that I can get all this for $150 less than the Remington. I've only shot one Savage before and it was my dad's 22-250 p-dog gun. That thing is s sweet shooter!

Basic Member
    I have the same rifle and bought mine about a week ago. Here are the things i can tell you from just a week of ownership.

The bolt release is in fact on the trigger guard. As for extended mags theres two ive seen that will work dark eagle custom and cdi. The first one uses stock magazines modified to allow 6 more rounds and the cdi uses ai mags if i remember. As for stocks ive seen several that work but only one or two are complete drop ins and the rest seem to require inletting mods to work.

As for the 700 i too was about to pull the trigger on one but fortunately for me the deal fell through on that one and i ended up with a whole better rifle. Heres what ive done to mine so far.

M4J0R T0M
    Quote Originally Posted by shooterfpga View Post
    I have the same rifle and bought mine about a week ago. Here are the things i can tell you from just a week of ownership.

The bolt release is in fact on the trigger guard. As for extended mags theres two ive seen that will work dark eagle custom and cdi. The first one uses stock magazines modified to allow 6 more rounds and the cdi uses ai mags if i remember. As for stocks ive seen several that work but only one or two are complete drop ins and the rest seem to require inletting mods to work.

As for the 700 i too was about to pull the trigger on one but fortunately for me the deal fell through on that one and i ended up with a whole better rifle. Heres what ive done to mine so far.
    Looks good. What optics and base are you running with it and how do you like the stock so far? Is it fairly rigid? What are the stock options that you mentioned?

As for a larger mag, http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/ also has the 10 round .308 that fits into your stock magwell. That being said, there are a number of stocks you could go with. Stockysstocks.com is a good place to start to get an idea of what you want. The bolt release in front of the trigger is a big pain in the wah-zoo because it limits your options with the bottom metal upgrades. Don't go spending $200 on bottom metal without also getting the parts to move the bolt release up top like the older savages. As far as the stock on the 10-P SR, I didn't like it as well as the accustock, so I bought a 10 FCP-K. I just painted it with some duracoat yesterday...

M4J0R T0M
    Thanks for the reply. That's a good-looking paint job on your rifle. Is the savage 10p center feed or stagger feed? I've seen the offerings from HS precision and Manners but I don't want to spend more for the stock than I do for the rifle. I would be happy going with a less expensive stock and doing the bedding job myself.

Quote Originally Posted by M4J0R T0M View Post
    Thanks for the reply. That's a good-looking paint job on your rifle. Is the savage 10p center feed or stagger feed? I've seen the offerings from HS precision and Manners but I don't want to spend more for the stock than I do for the rifle. I would be happy going with a less expensive stock and doing the bedding job myself.
    Thank you sir. You have a center feed rifle with an internal magazine if I'm not mistaken...Please correct me if I am!! Anyway, if you are looking for a cheaper stock, take a look at the Choate Machine & Tool website...they have some pretty sweet offerings. They have a fully bedded stock http://www.riflestock.com/store/do/product/25-06-12 for under $300...pretty hard to beat if you ask me.
    Last edited by jrhammo08sxt; 09-26-2013 at 10:55 AM. Reason: I wrote staggered instead of center at first...

Basic Member
    I have the Choate on my 308 and like it. The bell and Carlson is nice also.

If you have a drop box mag the dark eagle customs mags are very nice pieces.

M4J0R T0M
    The 10 P-SR is a dbm rifle. Just did a little research on Stocky's and most of their stocks are for the blind mag models. They do have am HS Precision M24 that looks like it'll work but it's nearly $400. Of course the Manner's and McMillan's go up from there.

Ive heard good things about the B&C stocks but it seems they don't offer a dbm version, it'd be nice if they did. Has anyone on here ever tried to inlet a blind mag stock for a dbm rifle?

I'll check out Choate's website and see what they have. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by missed View Post

They are still out of stock I believe...sharp shooter supply has the same mags for the same price....just wish they made one for my .300 win mag!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrhammo08sxt View Post
    They are still out of stock I believe...sharp shooter supply has the same mags for the same price....just wish they made one for my .300 win mag!
    He seems to make them in batches, you just have to get on the list for them. Last time I ordered some seems like it was a month or so. I think he gets so many spoken for then tools up and makes a batch with some extras. I need some 22-250 ones. I may just pop the 308 top off one of mine and put a 22-250 top on it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by M4J0R T0M View Post
    Looks good. What optics and base are you running with it and how do you like the stock so far? Is it fairly rigid? What are the stock options that you mentioned?
    Its just a weaver grand slam tactical 3x10x40 on some random 20moa base i picked up at academy and some weaver rings. To be honest the stock seems durable i just dont like that it flexes at the forend with a bipod attached. I moved my bipod closer to the trigger guard trying to see if it would limit some of that flex. I cant tell a difference except it balances great now. I dont feel like spending the same price as another rifle for a better stock right now. I most likely will find an accustock take off thats a direct fit or a b&c thats modded to fit. Last resort is the choate but its also heavier and im trying to balance, cheap, lightweight, durable.

Quote Originally Posted by missed View Post

Is yours th same 10psr? Can you show a pic? Anything you dont like about the choate?

Quote Originally Posted by jrhammo08sxt View Post
    Thats good to know theyre the same mags.
    Last edited by shooterfpga; 09-26-2013 at 12:02 PM.

M4J0R T0M
    A B&C modded to fit would be awesome. Is there someone on here that does the inletting?

M4J0R T0M
    Ok so I've done a little more research and come up with a few things. It seems like this rifle shares the same dbm and bottom metal as the 10 tr and other models with the exception of it actually being metal as opposed to plastic like it is on some models and of course the bolt release being built into the trigger guard. These rifles are the center feed models that measure 4.4" between the action screws.

Savage also has a different dbm and bottom metal system that's used on the model 10 FCP-SR. This is the version produced by CDI. I read somewhere else that the inletting for both bottom metal configurations is the same so theoretically the 10 tr and 10 p and any other rifle with the lower bolt release could be fitted with CDI bottom metal if you could somehow move the bolt release back to the top. Does anyone know if it's possible to move the bolt release?

As far as stocks are concerned there aren't many middle road or entry level offerings for the dbm models. If Bell & Carlson came out with dbm stock models I think they'd sell like hot cakes.
    Last edited by M4J0R T0M; 09-26-2013 at 07:57 PM.

Basic Member
    Its possible to move the bolt release. Several have done it and also if you send em off they do it for you too.

M4J0R T0M
    Quote Originally Posted by shooterfpga View Post
    Its possible to move the bolt release. Several have done it and also if you send em off they do it for you too.
    Can you link me to the thread(s)? Ive searched and couldn't find anything.

Basic Member
    I think the bell and Carlson can be inletted, but cost and is it possible I'm unsure about. I really want a couple Whidden stocks but the $700 a piece....

M4J0R T0M
    So I emailed Bell and Carlson end they replied back and stated that they don't have any plans to build any DBM stocks. So I did a little more digging and the results are somewhat discouraging. There really aren't too many tactical styled stocks available and only a couple that aren't $500 plus.

Im wondering if I could buy this stock and do the inletting my self? I've never done anything like that before but I'm pretty handy with a dremel and a drill press.

Has anyone on here done any inletting to change a blind mag stock to a DBM stock?

Don't know if these are what you are looking for, but give them a call... http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/ they make some pretty good custom stocks...I think for around $350...

Another option would be to contact Savage and see if you could get your hands on an accustock. Or, see if someone had a takeoff...they ate actually pretty nice. Got one on my FCP-K and don't see a need to change it...