Thread: dating a 99 F

Basic Member

dating a 99 F

I am trying to date a model 99 F it is 903525, it has the counter on the left side checkered stock with a raised front sight.
    I cannot find the alpha numeric number on the handle. Any help wpuld be appreciated. It is in 308

I tried to date a model once... she thought I didn't have enough $$$$

Seriously... try calling Savage customer service and see if they can help. I don't think you can date the rifle from the information you have against a public data source (because I don't think it exists).

Good luck... Jim
    .22LR * 6.5x47 Lapua * .223 Rem * .308 Win * 260 Rem * Large Cojones!
    [I]"I can prove anything by statistics except the truth."[/I]

stangfish
    Which handle we talkin about? The The handle with the deely in front of it or the Handle with the thingamajig attached to it?

MacDR
    LOL Should be on just behind the lever stamped into the metal. Can't check the serial # against mine as mine is in the smith's. Tight chamber and weak extractor means even factory ammo sticks.

Basic Member
    CAn't find any marks except SP and a 239 located in front on the lever. The barrel is marked chicopee falls. I thought that that was where the earlier guns were made not in this serial number range? NAd 308 wasn't introduced until after 1955 correct?

MacDR
    My bad. My 99f has an oval with the date code on the underside of the receiver extension where the lever attaches. Mine is (10R) 1964 make. The serial number is 1080XXX but I am not sure how that will help much. You may have to search for the date code oval. If you have trouble reading it try sprikling some flour over the stamping and lightly brushing or blowing it off. This will help highlight a shallow stamp.