Thread: Edge Revisited

Pharmboy

Edge Revisited

[img width=600 height=450]http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy52/Pharmboy_01/TheEdge.jpg[/img]

It's been awhile but I think I finally am ready to fire this baby. I have it set up as a repeater using 250 gr SMK bullets. This is what I got:

116 FSS RUM Action
    PacNor SS 26" Barrel
    Vortex Viper 4-12x40 SF Scope
    Burris Z rings with inserts
    Burris Steel 1 pc Base
    Vais Muzzle Break
    Stoney Point Pole Cat Bipod
    Butler Creek Sling
    Allen Buttstock Cartridge Holder
    I loaded the bullets to 3.675" using RL-25 per Shawn Carlock History and Development. I plan on shooting this rifle this weekend. I will let ya know how it shoots.

Pharmboy

ctrout

Re: Edge Revisited

Please do. I have been so busy building, buying, and modding so many other guns over the winter that I have still only put my first three test rounds through the Edge that I finished like last September. Oh, and can't forget deer, elk, and bird seasons. Between my time and money spent on the two major expenses of hunting and acquiring new guns, I've had nothing left for shooting. Let me see, I'm active duty E-6 and part time college student too so even less time than money. Bear season is right around the corner too so I probably won't get to shooting my Edge until June. I WILL put at least 100 rounds through it this Summer though. That's a promise. Of course, that is barring finding a screaming deal on an AH Fox S x S, a lever action 45 Colt, or a 10mm Dan Wesson Razorback.

pa hog

I want one in the worse way! But the .308 and .243AI and now wife's .223 put it on hold. I'm sure I'll be looking for an RUM action soon.

Basic Member

Is your RUM action standard or large shank? I've looked for one quite a bit recently and gave up for a while. Couldn't find one exactly like I wanted. I tried buying one on Gunbroker last year but it was sold before I could get the FFL information to them. I could build one off of the long action I've got but it would only be a single shot since the magazine isn't long enough.

learjet

please keep us updated. i found a rum action recently, just did a google map search for gun stores around my town. spent 4 hrs on the phone till i stumbled on one.

im goin w 338 rum on mine, most parts otw.

Pharmboy is urs a repeater? did u open the mag box or something to get the 3.675 bullets to fit?

Pharmboy

efm, its one of the first 116 FSS 300 Ultra Mag small shank.

learjet, I would probably go with the 338 RUM if I had it to do over since I want a repeater but can only load to approximately 338 RUM velocity based on case length and availability of ammo. You got me thinking about the oal length. I would put a round in the magazine and close the bolt. I figured that was it but when I tried to load another it would not. I guess I could load one in the chamber and one in the magazine and keep it a two shot repeater. To fill the magazine I have to load to 3.60". What a bummer! Maybe I should sell this baby and get a 338 RUM ???

Pharmboy

3fingervic

What's the difference between the RUM action and the Long action? I know the bolt head is different. Anything else?

pa hog

Yes! you should sell it! and get a 338RUM. ;D

Basic Member

Why not just have a 338 RUM barrel made for it instead of selling the whole thing?

pa hog

Cause I'd like to have it..

Pharmboy

3 fingers, RUM action accomodates a slightly bigger magazine so you can shoot slightly larger cases (length) so you can put more powder in there and shoot bigger bullets faster. But now I'm scared.

Pa Hog, careful what ya wish for.

efm, you have a good point but that would be depriving someone of an EDGE.

Pharmboy

3fingervic

I got ya. Mag size.

learjet

hey pharmboy id get a PTG 338 rum match reamer and just rechamber ur barrel IF u goto the rum. cheapest way to get ur gun converted...i think ive got the chamber print around here somewhere i could send ya.

ive got a machinist buddy and a sheet metal guy eyein up the mag box - we might try to make a slightly longer one, but only if i find i need it to achieve the accuracy i want outta the RUM. i dont have enough bullets to measure yet, and obviously i havent shot it yet. but, if i feel i need a longer mag we can probably go to 3.7 - 3.725 OAL w no modifications to the action - just a different mag box

ive got 250 and 300 smks, i want to get my hands on some 250/300 scenars to compare them to. the issue is the bullets length forward of the ogive. the sleeper in my bullet hunt may end up bein lapuas 250g B408 Lock Base. .66Bc and they appear to be significantly shorter than the SMKs and scenars fwd of the ogive.

dang i cant wait to get this thing together...

Pharmboy

learjet, if only I had a machinist buddy and a gunsmith buddy I would be building artillery rounds.lol! Give me a physicist and we could make rockets.

Keep me posted. I'm going to shoot the 3.75" aol rounds single shot and if everything goes okay then I will try the 3.6" aol same load and see how she shoots.

Pharmboy

Basic Member

The Edge is longer to the shoulder than the 338 RUM. So I don't think you could just re-chamber. You would also have to have some of the rear of the barrel removed to shorten the chamber some. Still would probably be cheaper than a complete re-barrel though.

learjet

itll be spring before i shoot mine i guess. stockade stock wont be here till march/april

efm...yep, ud have to take some off the back of the bbl. half an inch or less im guessin.

mprtech

Looking at my options I have to admit I think I might go with a 700. They make a lefty 300 RUM that would make an awefully nice edge repeater. Specially since northlander is selling REM-AGE barrels for em.

Basic Member

Ha thats what I was thinking aswell mprtech.....oh well I love guns period and if it takes getting a remmy....does anybody know the mag specs on the rem 700 for the ultra mag actions?
    I cant get enough of this stuff!

Basic Member

....does anybody know the mag specs on the rem 700 for the ultra mag actions?
    3.802, on a 700 pss 300 rum
    is that big enough for an edge with 300smk? or when I shootout the barrel on the 300rum do I need to buy a lawton action to build my edge and put another 300 or maybe 7mm rum barrel on the remmy? but if I buy a lawton I would have to think about the 338-408 cheytac and be done with it 8)

what kind of fps with a 32" barrel and 300smk's in the edge can you expect?
    112,223,choate uv,nikon 6-18<br />lrpv,204,hs stock,sightron S3 6-24x50<br />12 target,McGowen 6mmbr,SSS hbr,Sightron S3 8-32<br />Mark II,22lr,thumbhole,Tasco 6-24x40<br />11 youth,243,Simmons 2.5-10x50<br />116fcss 30-06<br />12fv,204,VX-3 4.5-14x50

learjet

wow is that 3.802 w a stock mag or the wyatts extended box? i looked at some kinda remington 300 rum, it looked to be about 3.65.

pa hog

No where near as fast as the 3200+FPS the 338Cheytac will throw them.. ;D

learjet

Quote Originally Posted by Pa Hog

No where near as fast as the 3200+FPS the 338Cheytac will throw them.. ;D
    hehe...and look at some different bullets...a hint, they begin w the letter L

pphreed1

If you need more oal open the bolt to the stop on your long action look down into the action you will see the bottom of the reciever sticks outpast the bolt head quite a lot just cut the bottom of the reciever back to make it even with the bolt head then modifify your magazine for length and you have it I think you can still get the old rum magazine from savage then you could modify the bottom of the reciever to match the magazine I have done 2 for the 257 STW and they work fine and I am not a machinist or even close but the mod is hidden so my work kis out of sight