Thread: Bed a aluminum V-block stock?

Basic Member

Bed a aluminum V-block stock?

Just wondering what everyones opinion is on bedding a aluminum V-block stock?
    I have a choate ultimate varmiter and love it. I have had the rifle in this stock for a few years and had to take it down to do some work. (wont go into much detail) but I went ahead and had the action T&T at SSS and a couple other things.
    I am wanting to get the most out of it I can. I have bedded the scope base as I found if I snugged up the front screws, the back of the base lifted off the reciever a hair. Also installing a new scope.
    Anyways, I was wondering if there was anything I could do to the stock. I found my tang was touching, so I floated that. I have searched around a bit and it seems its mostly 50-50. Some say to bed it, as any and all stocks could benifit from it, while others say thats the whole point to a V-block stock, is you do not have to bed.
    So I thought I would get some opinions from here.

Basic Member
    I checked into this and found no one who claimed it helped. The only area I see which may benefit is the recoil lug, but that would require removing enough metal from the block to get clearance for the bedding.

Basic Member
    I agree with CharlieNC. On my stocks with a metal bedding block, the only thing I glass bed is the back of the recoil lug, if it doesn't touch the stock. I also would be glad to hear from others on the issue. Thanks........Jim

Basic Member
    I did one of mine and got no improvement. I think as long as the block is properly machined and you torque the action properly it is just as good as a bedding job. John Whidden uses blocks in his stocks and says there just as good as bedding.

Basic Member
    Is there any good way to test or see if the recoil lug is making good contact?
    Thanks for all the opinions, keep them coming, I want as many as I can get.

Maybe put a piece of tape on the back of the recoil lug and Kiwi/crayon on the block, put it together, and see if any rubs on the tape?