Thread: Rifleshooter Magazine article on the .17 WSM

n4ue

Rifleshooter Magazine article on the .17 WSM

I got my Magazine today, it's the Nov/Dec issue. Short review of the B Mag by Layne Simpson. It appears he really likes the rifle/ammo combination.
    He talks about several 'points' that have been brought up before:
    Bolt closure/cocking
    Magazine loading
    Accuracy

He was down on the accuracy issue, due to bbl heating when shooting quick, 5 shot groups, as one would encounter in a PD town. He stated the first three were good, but the forth and fifth shots opened up the group. He felt the bbl was way too thin for a varmint rifle. Strange, a lot of .17 HMRs come with heavy bbls. He mentioned that a heavy bbl option would be the ticket.

He also mentioned that the 20 gr hp loading will not feed from the magazine due to it's shorter length. ANYBODY seen ANY of that ammo? He seemed to 'like' the stock. He must have received a different production run than mine!
    I keep getting "product arrival" notices from Midway for the 20 gr polymer loads, but no matter how fast I reply, it's always sold out...

He also mentioned that the Browning 1885 will soon be available in .17 WSM.... Let's hope more companies jump on board.

I have a .17 HMR, .17 WSM and .17 Hornet. Luv 'em all...

ron

I really have a feeling the 17 WSM is going to be a flop if someone besides Savage doesn't get some guns out there chambered in it. Honestly I don't see that happening as I have a feeling most manufacturers are going to wait and see if it takes off or not before dedicating the hundreds of thousands of dollars to R&D and product an all new firearm design capable of utilizing the unique new cartridge. And since Savage went so low-end with their B-Mag I just see and hear too many people passing it over due to it's chinsy-ness.

The Browning/Winchester Low Wall has an MSRP of over $1,200 and it's a single-shot - the only people likely to buy one are the Winchester collectors who will just mothball them.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member

17 WSM article

Nice report. Here is my take on things. The B-mag is an "Entry Level" product that was clearly designed to a low-end price point. Mine cost $349. If the initial price had been much higher, I probably would never have bought it. It was an impulse buy for me. I think Savage's market entry was pure genius. The bargain basement price captures buyers who try the new product, like it and become a Savage fan, perhaps buying one of their higher price rifles. It performs well for many applications. When the premium heavy barrel, fluted, fancy stock models appear in the $400+ segments next year or later, many of us will buy them too, because we were so pleased with the first one. I have already purchased a nicer 93R in 17hmr because I liked the little B-mag but wanted a rifle with more features, (like ammo I can actually find, lol).

If I could purchase a B-mag in the same trim as the 93R-BRJ model, I would buy it right now. i.e. Heavy, fluted bbl, nice looking laminated stock. The current B-mag is providing varmint rifle performance but the slim light weight bbl cannot be expected to dissipate heat as well as a varmint grade heavy barrel. It does however work really well as a hunting gun, where the shots can be minutes or hours apart. Squirrel, crows, groundhogs, rabbits, even coyotes. I can hunt squirrel with it all day and not shoot a full mag.

As for Layne's feeding problems with the 20g ammo?? I have not seen that issue. The only feeding issues I have found is that if I am not careful, I will sometimes not have the bolt all the way forward before I try to lock it down into battery. It cannot close that way and I have to raise the bolt, push it forward and then lock it down. This has happened with all ammo.

In my opinion, if the other mfg's fail to develop rifles in 17WSM they will be giving all of this mkt to Savage. Winchester's gun is a narrow niche market rifle that does not appeal to many customers. It is nicer and prettier and comes with a much nicer price point. If Winchester, Remington, CZ, Anschutz or others come to market with a nice, classy looking bolt action 17WSM next year with features or options like HB, laminated stock, fancy wood, etc and they succeed in delivering accuracy that beats the B-mag (a tall order), then they will sell well. Savage will offer premium models. It is too easy to do and makes total sense.

Irish

exsquid
    Quote Originally Posted by JG26_Irish View Post

If I could purchase a B-mag in the same trim as the 93R-BRJ model, I would buy it right now. i.e. Heavy, fluted bbl, nice looking laminated stock. The current B-mag is providing varmint rifle performance but the slim light weight bbl cannot be expected to dissipate heat as well as a varmint grade heavy barrel. It does however work really well as a hunting gun, where the shots can be minutes or hours apart. Squirrel, crows, groundhogs, rabbits, even coyotes. I can hunt squirrel with it all day and not shoot a full mag.

Irish
    The main reason I like the B.Mag is that it is NOT a heavy barrel rifle that weighs 10lbs with a scope mounted. I love the 4-5lb range for hunting the above mentioned targets, as Irish stated, as it makes for an exceptional "carry" gun. If savage would do the same with the 17 Hornet I would be first in line for that, as well. I do hope others will join in by supplying numerous rifle choices as this is a great option for those already used to the HMR but would like a little more juice when they pull the trigger.

Old Hickory

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by exsquid View Post
    The main reason I like the B.Mag is that it is NOT a heavy barrel rifle that weighs 10lbs with a scope mounted. I love the 4-5lb range for hunting the above mentioned targets, as Irish stated, as it makes for an exceptional "carry" gun. If savage would do the same with the 17 Hornet I would be first in line for that, as well. I do hope others will join in by supplying numerous rifle choices as this is a great option for those already used to the HMR but would like a little more juice when they pull the trigger.
    I like the light carry, too! I use my 1st generation black skinny barreled BMAG for Iowa small game and an occasional varmint I get centered in my crosshairs.

My HMR has been a safe queen since the BMAGs hit the stores and one found a happy home with me.