Thread: Why does the savage model 64 lack respect?

delsol

Why does the savage model 64 lack respect?

I have a Savage 64 semi auto and thinks its a great shooting rifle. I've installed a lighter trigger spring that brought the trigger pull down to 3 lbs which I think has help but at my local indoor gun range at 40 yards I can punch quarter sides holes quite often. But I never here much about how accurate the model 64 is. Is it me or do other's thinks that the 64 lacks respect?

Basic Member
    I have had a model 62 for 16ys now and it is just awesome and reliable and still very accurate with 10's of thousands of rounds down the tube. I guess everyone else is just missing out

Hubcap91
    The model 64 does tend to get ignored. I've never shot one. When I think Savage I think bolt-action. I'm willing to bet that is the same reason you don't see too many of them at the range. I'm sure it is a fine rifle though. I'm looking at them now on savage's site. **** it. I want one.

True story....

It took me 3 years to get Savage to finally send me a Model 64 for review. Every time I would ask for one they would do everything in their power to talk me out of it or get me to review something else. Even Savage knows that it's a rather crude and outdated design (it hasn't changed since the 1960's when Lakefield first came up with it) and that compared to other more popular semi-auto rimfires (Remington 597, Ruger 10/22 and Marlin Model 60) the Model 64 simply doesn't have a leg to stand on. Yes it generally functions fine and is just as accurate as most any other production rimfire rifle out there, but that doesn't hide the fact that it has a crap trigger and a crap stock, or that the magazines are so-so at best. Buyers make their decision based on what they can check/verify in the store, not what can only be determined at the range, and in the store the Savage 64 is the ugly duckling.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

delsol
    My local gun store had them on sale for $139.00 labor day weekend and other sporting stores always advertise them for a good price. For the money you can't go wrong. I have heard of jamming and magazine issue with some but mine has been very reliable. The only down side I see is there are very few after market up grade parts.

Quote Originally Posted by delsol View Post
    My local gun store had them on sale for $139.00 labor day weekend and other sporting stores always advertise them for a good price. For the money you can't go wrong. I have heard of jamming and magazine issue with some but mine has been very reliable. The only down side I see is there are very few after market up grade parts.
    I got one for my daughter at Walmart for $137. The only issue we have had with it is it doesn't like hollow point ammo. The tip catches on the feed ramp and jams. It eats everything else that we feed it. We did upgrade the scope on it.

Basic Member
    I bought my Daughter a 64 used at a LGS and other than an occasional feeding problem when loading the mag full it is an accurate little shooter. Sure it isn't pretty but it shoots well. Put a 42mm BSA RedDot on it and if we could legally hunt small game in PA with it that thing would be a squirrel killing machine.

The trigger leaves something to be desired for sure.
    Someday I want to get a laminate T Hole bull barrel model.
    Aries by birth, Taurus by choice.

joestacey06
    I bought my 64 a few years ago at Dunhams for just over $100 on sale. Plastic stock and blued barrel. A guy at work told me I'd hate it and they're junk. Took the 4x15 scope off and put a 3-9x40 tasco on it from Walmart. It's very accurate and gives me no trouble except when I let it get extremely dirty. I've shot it enough I wore out the lip on the mag and had to buy a new one. I'd say I got my money out of it.

joestacey06
    Quote Originally Posted by delsol View Post
    I have a Savage 64 semi auto and thinks its a great shooting rifle. I've installed a lighter trigger spring that brought the trigger pull down to 3 lbs which I think has help but at my local indoor gun range at 40 yards I can punch quarter sides holes quite often. But I never here much about how accurate the model 64 is. Is it me or do other's thinks that the 64 lacks respect?
    Mind if I ask where you got the trigger spring?

I love mine , shoot irons,

guygene

64 lacks respect

The 2nd hand Lakefield 64B my wife chose as her first gun is great as a first gun. The lack of aftermarket support keeps it at a first gun level. Maybe Savage doesn't do more with it because it wasn't their design, but Lakefield's.

insanerube
    Quote Originally Posted by guygene View Post
    The 2nd hand Lakefield 64B my wife chose as her first gun is great as a first gun. The lack of aftermarket support keeps it at a first gun level. Maybe Savage doesn't do more with it because it wasn't their design, but Lakefield's.
    I know I am the new guy, but, it wasn't Lakefield's design either but a Canadian company that went out of business in the 60's from a small town in Cobourg , Ontario Canada by the name of Cooey. I own 1, interestingly enough it's a 64. It was the 1 of the first 22's my oldest brother bought. Cooey also manufactured for Sears, and a few other companies.