Thread: Misfire with savage 12 lrp .260

S1CKNASTY

Misfire with savage 12 lrp .260

Broke in my rifle yesterday for the first time and it's already misfiring. I haven't messed with anything on the rifle. I have shot federal fusion 120 grain and federal 140 grain and both had multiple misfires. I'm planning on trying another brand before I flip **** but I just wondering if anybody has had or heard of the same problem. Here's a picture of my new baby as well.

stangfish
    Nice rifle. By missfiring I am thinking failure to fire. Can you take pictures of the primer end of the rounds that did not fire. We can do some CSI on the primers. Being a new rifle it might be a good idea to contact savage but there are some things to look at. you might be able to fix some of them. Just for starters pull the trigger all of the way back, push the bolt release down. It should be smooth till it stops. Next, dry fire the rifle (unloaded). The sound you here should be a clear "Whack". Not an enemic sound. This is the firing pin going home. It needs speed. If it is not hitting hard, you may want to try and lubricate the internals of the bolt. Hopefully some others will chime in with more simple things to consider but for me those two stand out at the moment.

Is it miss firing or is the Accutrigger doing it's job. If you are not pulling straight back on the trigger the sear will hit the safety and not go off. Also some times the trigger is set a little light and not set when you close the bolt . I am not saying this is what is happening as I don't know how much experence you have with Accutrigger but once you get used to it is pretty good and will teach you proper procedure. I would check this out first and if it doesn't work out go deeper in .

Basic Member
    Rifle looks great! I recommend turning your bipod around though (Technically, it's backwards). You can't put forward pressure on it in it's current position because it will fold up.

stangfish
    By the book and Lone wolf have good advice.

I had some reloads in my 12 VLP not fire the other day but put factory stuff in and it went bang

bflee
    If it is the accutrigger you should be able to just lift the bolt handle and lay it back down and it should shoot. You wouldnt have any marks on the primer though. If you have marks on the primer and they arent firing I would change ammo and try it. There isnt alot of problems with those rifles. They are pretty sweet.

bflee
    What did you find out?