Thread: 300 win mag reloaders here?

300 win mag reloaders here?

I've bought my first few boxes on ammo with the intention of reloading the brass eventually. These are going to be fired through my 111 hunter. Being a belted design, this is new territory for me. Any tips/tricks/gotcha-warnings would be much appreciated.
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

Basic Member
    Get a 3 die set. Once the brass is fired in your rifle the first time, just use the neck sizer die and headspace on the case shoulder instead of on the belt. Brass will last longer and good chance it will be more accurate. The 300 is very easy to reload for. You will find very acceptable performance with many powder and bullet combinations. The 4350's, 4831's, RL-22 burn rate zone is good for 168-200g slugs while stuff a bit slower burning works well for the 190-220g slugs.
    Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Jetpig View Post
    Get a 3 die set. Once the brass is fired in your rifle the first time, just use the neck sizer die and headspace on the case shoulder instead of on the belt. Brass will last longer and good chance it will be more accurate. The 300 is very easy to reload for. You will find very acceptable performance with many powder and bullet combinations. The 4350's, 4831's, RL-22 burn rate zone is good for 168-200g slugs while stuff a bit slower burning works well for the 190-220g slugs.
    Enjoy!
    Thanks jet--I've read the off-shoulder measurement is critical in order to keep proper headspace dimension (and from blowing the base of the case off). One or two of my manuals say that it's very important to keep the case filled near max because unfilled space can create it's own dangerous over-pressure problems--I'm wondering how you approach your load work-ups that said. Lastly, do you still play around much with off-the-lands seatings given the very short neck? Thanks for indulging my complete ignorance of this caliber. : )

Basic Member
    Therm,
    You won't have to worry much about how full your case is. What ever you load they will be PLENTY full and you might as well order powder by the 8lb jug. Your headspace, once you have fired the rounds in your rifle, you are good to go for neck sizing only. No headspace worries! I have a Criterion 28in varmint barrel on mine with a short throat. Mine is also mag fed so length is limited for me. A factory rifle has a very long throat and to get off the lands by .01 you would have to seat very long. You will enjoy it! Have some fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Jetpig View Post
    ...you might as well order powder by the 8lb jug.
    LOL--like filling a silo with grain. thanks for the advice.

I don't know if it's a coincidence or not--but all of the factory ammo from all the different brands I bought have a cannelure exactly at the neck mouth--is this stuff commonly crimped on factory loads?

Basic Member
    Yeah, most factory rounds are crimped at the cannelure. I think the reason is so the rounds can be fired in semi-autos.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Quote Originally Posted by psharon97 View Post
    Yeah, most factory rounds are crimped at the cannelure. I think the reason is so the rounds can be fired in semi-autos.
    That's kinda what I thought (i.e. "The Omen")--though I'm wondering if the the fact the case is belted may be a factor as well?

Basic Member
    we could have a long debate over full legnth vs neck sizing for hunting rifles.
    at some point you might find your bolt wont close on your neck sized rounds.
    by all means find a safe place to run every round thru the gun before taking
    them hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    we could have a long debate over full legnth vs neck sizing for hunting rifles.
    at some point you might find your bolt wont close on your neck sized rounds.
    by all means find a safe place to run every round thru the gun before taking
    them hunting.
    I ordered the Lyman deluxe set (the only one I could find in stock) has both. However, I just discovered this collet die set-up with custom digital guage specifically developed for belted cases at innovative technologies--looks like a great idea--anyone tried it? http://www.larrywillis.com/
    Last edited by thermaler; 09-25-2013 at 10:17 AM.

Basic Member
    remember the kiss system which is even more important for a novice at anything.
    id be just using standard dies at this point. they will work fine and produce accurate loads.
    were dealing with factory rifles here not ones with custom chambers. so again we could debate
    as to the value of more precise dies.

Point taken and agreed with--but this still looks darn interesting, don't ya think? My first loads will be done with gear I already know how works.

Basic Member
    the question isnt wether it works or might be usefull in some cases. the question is do you need it
    or do any of us need it for for the purpose at hand. that being accurate hunting loads in factory rifles.