Thread: NEED HELP? New Boyds Prairie Hunter DBM

Basic Member

NEED HELP? New Boyds Prairie Hunter DBM

Hi,

So, after having a baby, I canceled my Richards order due to my lack of free time and amount of time required for the stock finishing.

So, I'm moving on to a Boyds Prairie hunter. My question is, how much work will be needed to modify the current production stock for a current production 116 TH XP with DMB in 30/06? The boyds says it's for new bottom mag release, which works for the new 116. BUT Boyds says it is for top bolt release. I'm pretty sure the new 116 are bottom bolt release near the trigger gard. So, how much mod will the stock take to make the bottom bolt release work since it's designed for the top (I assume side) bolt release?

I'm having the stock pillar/glass bedded, so removing material shouldn't be a huge issue.

Thanks,
    Chris

stangfish
    So a fair question to ask "is this inleted to fit both top and bottom bolt releases". It is physicaly possible for it to fit both if the provisions are there. Good luck.

Basic Member
    Good question. I'm ordering both same time, so I can't inspect either. I was hoping for someone with experience with them to home in. Hopefully someone can answer that question.

Tarheelpwr, I have been wondering the same thing. I hope you post your results. A member, Brasse, bought the Stocky's laminated thumbhole and it dropped right in with the bottom bolt release. I am hoping it works out the same with the Boyds, as the stocks cost less.
    There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

Basic Member
    Just have to make the mag well about .75" deeper. 2 minutes on a mill.

Basic Member
    I just bought a Boyds PH on another site that the seller claimed fits the new bottom release.
    I saw that Boyds website said it fit the top in one place and the bottom in another.
    I'll see which is right when it gets here and let you know.

Basic Member
    Got the new Boyds stock and it fits the bottom release just fine and it looks like there is a cutout for the top release as well.

Basic Member
    I ordered my stock over the weekend. I'll be getting the gun next month. I'll do my best to report back on what my smith tells me.

Team Savage
    It is a simple fit with just a little dremel sanding wheel work to fit trigger guard. You will just have a gap on the side of the action where the top release bolt lever would have been.

Basic Member
    Thanks - I don't see it being a problem. I'd do it myself, but he'll be bedding it, so easier to just let him do it.