Thread: how much head space ?

how much head space ?

What is a good amount to set head space for a hunting rifle ?

I set mine at .005, but want to know if that is too much. I am thinking that .003 would be a better bet.
    What do you all like to set your hunting rifles at ?

northlander
    The difference between a Go gage and a No Go gage is typically .004. If your chamber is set up properly the No Go gage will not close properly in your chamber. I prefer to use .002 as a target headspace. Better yet, use your Go gage with a single layer of 3M Scotch Tape (about .002) as your No Go gage. Using the neatly trimmed tape to avoid wrap around on the gage head, as your No Go gage you will end up with .001 to .0015 for your operational head spacing.

Jim Briggs
    NSS
    Last edited by northlander; 09-22-2013 at 11:53 AM.

stangfish
    So that number(.005) can mean a couple of things but as a reloader one thinks about 2 things. Accurracy and brass longevity. For that reason mine is set at .002". over the go gauge and the critical dimension is the case headspace that is set at .002 over that. In that context .005 is not far from what I do.

If you mean that you are set .005 from the go gauge, you might want to measure the case shoulder on your ammo and compare it to the chamber.

Just read what Jim wrote and I agree with that. Often My resized brass is just under the go gauge dimension by about .0005.
    Last edited by stangfish; 09-22-2013 at 12:00 PM.

oldbrass
    The go/no go gauge is what I use as I`m no firearms engineer and don`t take chances with something critical as head space ,As stated above tape will work but if your like me and not highly experienced in these matters stick to the gauges... where rifles differ is bullet seating depths if your a hand loader but that is a whole other thread. Just see what your gun likes and enjoy the hunt

Thanks fellas,
    I will re set it a little tighter.

BTW, Jim, the barrel that you sent me back in June looks awesome ! Can't wait to shoot it ,maybe later this week ! And the wrench and vice worked excellent, barrel came off easily.