Thread: Installed and tested comps today on Axis and 2 other rifles.

Installed and tested comps today on Axis and 2 other rifles.

I bought 3 Witt machine comps and installed them on my axis 308 (which shoots very well) a 111 6.5 284 and a threaded muzzle 6.8 spc AR15. The comps are very well made and all fit the rifles on first try--though the axis comp was a tad tight. The only issue I ran into which I think bears mentioning is that care needs to be taken tightening the clamp-on screws--I broke one in half torquing it down tight--though I don't think I was putting all that much pressure on it.

Because it was raining on and off all day--all I could do was go to a nearby roadside clearcut an fire a few rounds through each just to see what the feeling was like.

The axis 308 seemed to have a recoil reduction which felt something on the order of 30 to 40 % shooting a 168 gr factory bullet; though the muzzle still tended to lift and I did not manage to keep the scope fixed on target when shooting free-hand. Next I fired my 6.5 284--which surprisingly seemed to have the most reduction in both recoil and muzzle lift--this surprised me cause it was firing magnum-like loads though the bullets were 130 gr 6.5. The 6.8 spc carbine seemed to have a recoil reduction on the order of what I got with the Axis--but I still couldn't keep the muzzle down to maintain sight picture through the shot. All shots were free-hand, not sure if that contributed to failure to keep the muzzle down (i.e. poor technique).
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

stangfish
    My results were less than satisfactory. His design is ineffective as far as I am concerned. I would not recomend the product as he does not stand behind it either. Stay away.

Last edited by stangfish; 09-21-2013 at 10:29 PM.

Basic Member
    In most cases I think you will see the most change in rounds with a higher velocity (I. e. High fps). Guys the shoot IPSC say that a comp has little affect on the 45 vice the higher velocity 9mm or 38 spec. I would think it would be the same in rifles.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

What were your experiences Stang and basis for concluding the design is ineffective? I have to admit I'm a little disappointed in the muzzle lift but there does seem to be a notable reduction in recoil force (not that that was a major issue to begin with). Now if there appears to be a reduction in accuracy/velocity then I ditch them.
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]