Thread: factory stocks pillared???

Basic Member

factory stocks pillared???

I just purchased a model 11 Trophy Hunter .260 for my wife... I want to bed the action and stiffen the stock beyond the recoil lug (putting steel rods inside bedding material along bottom of stock under barrel channel) I have had good luck bedding Accustocks, but this is the first time attempting to bed an action into an ordinary factory stock. I was surprised to see all the plastic around the action screws and the plastic "bedding" incorporated into the factory stock. I guess I expected to see some sort of heavier metal pillars similar to what the accustock has. Oh, well.

Assuming I stay with the factory stock (for now, anyways), I have two questions:

1) Is it necessary to add some other sort of pillars or does the stock have sufficient metal pillars imbedded inside all that plastic?

2) Should I "carve-out" some or all of the original plastic bedding or just leave it in place and bed around it?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Basic Member
    No opinions out there???

I guess I stay with the factory pillars and remove all the surrounding plastic.

Yes/no?

I have the same rifle in 6.5X284. Have you shot it yet to find out if it needs rebedding? I'm a tinkerer of sorts myself, but I wouldn't try to fix what wasn't broke. I'd like to get a laminated stock for mine someday and probably glass bed it then.

Basic Member
    The Accustock is a whole different animal, having an aluminum bedding block and skeleton. The run of the mill Tupperware stock should have Savage metal pillars installed, but they don't always go up through the stock far enough to contact the bottom of the action, making them less than totally effective. There are a lot of solutions on this site that can be found with a search, many can be found on the Stock Forum. Good Luck, Hope this helps........Jim

If I were you go to boyds stocks or stockys and get a light weight laminate and just bed it.Putting all the effort into an inferior stock truly isnt worth it. Ask me how I know.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!