Thread: Shells not ejecting..

Basic Member

Question Shells not ejecting..

Need some advice.

On my reloads, some of the shells are hard to eject after fired. I then run these through the resizer die, but the empty brass causes the bolt to be hard to close. It will close, just requires slight force to do so. This is on my 270 wsm. I then check the oal and the shells fall well below the range, but I discard this brass anyway.

My thoughts are that I may be seating the bullet too close to the lands, pressure builds up and somehow distorts the neck or shoulder. Or the loads are too hot even though they are not exceeding the recommendations.

There is a guy at our range who won a national event once or twice and he indicated to set the bullets at least 20 thousandths off the lands to assure no over pressure and the pressure is constant. I might be seating too close.

Also, I usually don't use the brass more than 4 times, but it could be brass is weak..

Any advice?

Thanks.

stangfish
    PM inbound

Basic Member
    Are you measuring headspace to insure you are bumping the brass back when sizing? You should also measure brass that does not stick vs those which do so you can establish specs.

Basic Member
    Are you crimping when you seat the bullet? It could be that you are crimping too tightly and distorting the neck.

Basic Member
    Thanks.. I can run new brass thru the die and it will load smoothly. I run the trouble brass thru, and when it comes out it won't load. Maybe I am not setting up my dies correctly. They are redding dies and I will go online and read the manuals. Lost mine..

Thanks.

jb6.5
    Had the same problem, I had to set the die a little farther down where it would cam over a bit more.

stangfish
    did you ever get that measurement?

Basic Member
    Thanks for all the input. Work sort of got in the way yesterday and today.. Will try and take a look tonight and see what I come up with..

Basic Member
    Case solved….

Someone was correct in stating that the WSM have a tendency to swell at the base of the shell. Thus I guess why 7mm mag and 300 win mag are belted case. Also don’t believe I had my full length sizing die go completely down the case, so I adjusted further down.
    Several of the cases that would not fit previously, now fit fine. There was one that had a noticeable ring around the base. This took a couple of hard pulls on the die. It did finally size correctly, but to be safe I tossed the shell..

Might consider ordering some norma cases as I heard they might be a little thicker and tougher brass. Also, might load down the powder a little as well..

Thanks for all the help....sort of a novice here.

stangfish
    Your welcome. Now you need to check your case headspace.

Glad you got it sorted out!