Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sharp Shooters Supply.

MarTay6

Bob-
    Looking back at my previous post- dated Oct. 30th, I see that was when I placed my order with SSS, and quoted an estimated delivery of Dec or January.
    Well, here it is- near the end of January- and lo & behold, my barreled action is ready for shipping to my stockmaker! Granted, I didn't wait on the Brux barrel- which was the hold-up- certainly no fault of Fred.... I substituted a Bartlein barrel for this gun.
    You're right... I don't see the Savage PTA listed on their website anymore. Lisa is supposed to call me today- so I can make final payment via C/C... I'll ask her about that when I talk to her. Will post back here when I get an answer.
    Wes

MarTay6
    Just got off the phone with Lisa, barreled action now paid for/ready to ship to Masterclass.... Bob- I asked about the availability of the Savage Precision Target Actions- and, yes- they still offer them- if they do the tune/true on the action. They also can add dual ports onto the single port action. They just don't advertise the actions. You simply have to contact them via email to order- or fill out their order sheet.
    Wes
    PS.... sent you a PM...
    Last edited by MarTay6; 01-28-2014 at 04:58 PM.

MarTay6
    Barreled action arrived at Masterclass yesterday- the 3rd of Feb...
    SSS got me my barreled action in a reasonable amount of time. Thanks, Fred/Lisa!!
    Wes

SSS has never had PTA's listed on their website, but they usually try to keep one or two around for when someone calls up wanting a full build.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

DennisPA
    My stock is getting close to being completed by SSS. Has anyone tried boiled linseed oil for a laminate stock? My goal is a smooth as possible finish because this rifle will be shot off bags exclusively.

MarTay6
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisPA View Post
    My stock is getting close to being completed by SSS. Has anyone tried boiled linseed oil for a laminate stock? My goal is a smooth as possible finish because this rifle will be shot off bags exclusively.
    I would think it should be adequate- proper application procedures for any finish are probably just as important to smoothness as is the actual finishing method. Working your way down in progressively finer grades sandpaper, using good block sanding techniques, lots of elbow grease in polishing out, etc.... Proper whiskering in the early finishing stages/final sanding stages is very important.
    I intend to finish my stock (when I get it from Masterclass) in a poly/mineral spirits finish- 1st coat will be 1 part polyurethane varnish/2 parts mineral spirits (yes! THAT thin!), scrubbed in with a rag as much as possible, then scrub as much off as you can- let sit 24 hours and lightly sand with 0000 steel wool, successive finishes 50/50 mineral spirits/poly varnish, with 24 hours between coats and light sanding with 0000. Gives a great finish.
    Hi to Fred/Lisa!
    Wes

DennisPA
    blvedere did you ever get your stock from SSS? Still waiting on mine. Never mind I reread the whole thread and saw you go it in 10 months. Next month I'll hit 10 months maybe I'll get my stock then too!
    Last edited by DennisPA; 07-28-2014 at 11:43 AM. Reason: reread thread

MarTay6
    Hi, Dennis-
    Good luck with your stock. Be patient, no stockmaker is that fast, and SSS is a busy shop, like many others. They are the best in their specialties, and thus in demand.
    I ordered a stock from Masterclass, in Pennsylvania. Great guy to work with, made me a beautiful stock, but not in a hurry! It's a prone stock, in walnut- with an aluminum adjustable buttpiece- an adjustable cheekpiece and an accessory rail under the forearm. I bought it semi-finished/inletted, with a bedding block- sanded to 220, I'll be finishing it from there. He got the order the end of January/first of February (received the barreled action from Fred at SSS), and I got it the end of June/1st of July or somewhere around there.
    Won't be able to start work on it, as I am retiring this week/moving from Florida to Maine, and have been busting our butts to get ready/to make it all happen! Today's my last day being in/working for the Navy- after 48 years.
    Wes

DennisPA
    Wes first off thank you very much for your service. I can only imagine the sights you've seen and the stories you could tell.

As for the stock yes I'm learning the hard way to be patient when it comes to anything custom. Like the saying goes "Fast, Good and Cheap pick any two".

DennisPA
    My wifes stock showed up at just over the 10 month mark from ordering. The fit of the action is great, almost feels like it's already bedded. One small problem with the bolt release lever hitting the stock but I can fix that. The color was not what we were expecting but still a great looking stock so we'll be keeping it. Can't wait to get it finished and put together so my wife can get shooting.

Basic Member
    I don't know about stocks but I ordered a bolt head and bolt handle over a year ago and still haven't received anything from them and they will not even answer an email. Good luck
    handi204

Boiled linseed oil will not build on the surface or fill any imperfections, so the surface will be as smooth as you can sand it. There's some common malarkey about oil being used to "fill pores" for a smooth finish, but it doesn't. A film finish like varnish will level itself and result in a smoother surface and offer a modicum of scratch and bump protection.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12