Thread: Need to borrow headspace guage

Need to borrow headspace guage

Hi everyone. I am putting a heavy barrel on my 111 .300 win mag. I am in the Marine Corps and stationed in New Jersey. I was wondering if anyone could loan me a set of headspace go/no-go guages...or tell me how to set headspace without them. This is my new project rifle! I've had it for about 5 years, and it looks sort of sad sitting next to my 10FCP-K in .308, so I decided to build it up all purty like!! Anyway, any help would be appreciated!!

-Joel

stangfish
    You could set it off your ammo but some manufacturers are slightly different in size. The belt sets the headspace on a belted magnum and reloads are case headspace sized to the shoulder. If you cant find one in a couple of days I will loan you one. Let me know how it works out. Meanwhile do a google search on setting the headspace and sizing reloaded ammo...if you reload. PM me sometime early next week if you have no luck and I will ship it out.

So, if I understand this, I could use my once shot and re-sized brass to set headspace. Put an empty case in the camber, put the bolt forward, and snug the barrel up until it touches the belt...

Basic Member
    I have a set (at least I think I do, honestly not sure if I sold them) and can get them off to you. I will be heading into town in the morning. My shop (where I reload) is closed up right now but will look in the morning. Sorry, I just saw this post.

If I do not I will let you know. Sorry for not giving a more definitive response.
    Last edited by handirifle; 09-21-2013 at 01:05 AM.

stangfish
    The belt does not move. Set that very close. Then after firing in that particular chamber neck size or only bump the shulder back .002 max.

Quote Originally Posted by handirifle View Post
    I have a set (at least I think I do, honestly not sure if I sold them) and can get them off to you. I will be heading into town in the morning. My shop (where I reload) is closed up right now but will look in the morning. Sorry, I just saw this post.

If I do not I will let you know. Sorry for not giving a more definitive response.
    That's fine. I really do appreciate it. I don't get my barrel nut wrench until next week. I do have a range that I can go towhen I get the new barrel on, so I should be able to get the guages back fairly quickly. If you do find them, let me know and I'll get my address to you.

navyman

The No thrills headspaceing.

Start by taking the firing pin out of your bolt. I would use a live round (with no firing pin and spring) Put you barrel on lose put the round in the bolt face, close the bolt. Now turn the barrel in more tightly open and close the bolt several times you want to feel Resistance from the bolt but just a little. tighten there. (You may want to get a piece of shim stock .005 thick and put it between the bolt face and the round) (A piece of pop can works also) at this point the bolt should not close. If it does just tighten again on the round adding a little more resistance. test fire the gun and check the brass for problems. Of all the rifles built the savage is the easy one of them all to head space..

Basic Member
    Joel
    Sorry I took so long, I looked and I must have sold them with the 338WM barrel I sold a few months back. Sorry.

Handi,
    That's alright. I still appreciate the offer.

Thanks for the info navyman...once again, the navy shows up to get the marines where they need to be! Haha!
    Last edited by jrhammo08sxt; 09-21-2013 at 11:13 PM. Reason: wrong word

navyman
    L.o.l.

Wildboarem
    Correct me if I'm wrong here, but as stangfish said the belted mags headspace of the belt. After that you can resize to minimal (back to the belt) or use the shoulder to headspace and just bump back .002 after firing. But here is the thing, I just bought a belted mag go gauge, it is a belted mag case except it is just the bottom have of a case only and in solid stainless. Unlike beltless designs that headspace on the shoulder the belted mag only uses the belt,literally only the belt. Mine is only an inch long. So it got me thinking, I could resize any belted mag case ( just to make sure the body is sized down) cut it in half and you have a go gauge, right? A couple of pieces of 3m scotch tape and you have a no go. I understand some people's hesitation to use cases as gauges, because of the softer brass I guess, but the head to the belt isn't going to move. I don't know, just an idea, I bought mine an was like, this is it.

navyman
    Ok The headspace gage you have is correct and you only head space off the belt of the case or the go no/go gage. stangfish was in-putting

reloading info that is needed if you are checking your brass for in proper head space.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildboarem View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong here, but as stangfish said the belted mags headspace of the belt. After that you can resize to minimal (back to the belt) or use the shoulder to headspace and just bump back .002 after firing. But here is the thing, I just bought a belted mag go gauge, it is a belted mag case except it is just the bottom have of a case only and in solid stainless. Unlike beltless designs that headspace on the shoulder the belted mag only uses the belt,literally only the belt. Mine is only an inch long. So it got me thinking, I could resize any belted mag case ( just to make sure the body is sized down) cut it in half and you have a go gauge, right? A couple of pieces of 3m scotch tape and you have a no go. I understand some people's hesitation to use cases as gauges, because of the softer brass I guess, but the head to the belt isn't going to move. I don't know, just an idea, I bought mine an was like, this is it.
    Theoretically yes that would work. I head spaced a 458WM barrel I used to have using fired and sized brass, and it works but I had to measure most of my brass using calipers to see which pc had the largest "base to top of belt" measurement and then compared that to the spec'd dimension. Some pcs of brass are noticeably longer in that dimension than others.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

stangfish
    The 300WM is .220" the 458 magnum is .252". I have heard that some people have issues. My experience with setting the headspace for a 300WM at .221 is that all my brass fits. I just went through a bag of once fired WW Super brass and every one fell within .001 of each other and chambered fine. I found there was no way to accurately use a dial caliper so I stood an older barrel up and used my depth mic to measure from the base of the case to the face of the barrel. This gives you a precise repeatable datum.

Regards
    Fish

I believe the 458WM is also .220", or at least my Lee Reloader's Manual I keep near the comp for quick reference says it is. Now the 460 Weatherby is .252".

That's a great way to measure the brass by using the barrel. I did it that way with my 7mm Rem Mag barrel. Thanks for throwing that in there, I can't believe I forgot.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

stangfish
    Thanks for correcting me on the 458 belt dimensions. My brain only holds about 13 kb and dumps on a regular basis.
    Last edited by stangfish; 09-25-2013 at 11:37 PM.

Thanks for all of the info on this guys...I'm going to close this thread because I no longer need the gauges!