Thread: Is the sporter Accustock exactly the same as the heavy barrel Accustock?

mudfish

Is the sporter Accustock exactly the same as the heavy barrel Accustock?

Is the current sporter barrel Accustock exactly the same as the heavier barrel Accustock? 100% the same, even the barrel channel width? Or is there a sporter Accustock and also a varmint Accustock?

I plan to buy a sporter barrel version, then upgrade the barrel to a custom semi-varmint kinda like the Predator Hunter version, not a full varmint barrel, kinda half way between sporter and varmint. I'd just buy the Predator Hunter Max-1 model but I don't want the camo stock. I could sell the camo Accustock but there aren't any similar aftermarket replacements.

Just wondering if the sporter barreled version of the Accustock will work, or is there a different Accustock for the wider barreled models? And which model should I start my build with?

Thx.
    Last edited by mudfish; 09-19-2013 at 10:54 PM.

stangfish
    Mudfish, Go to the savage website and browse the models. You will see different models of accustocks. Tell us which ones you are refering to. The barrel chanel can be one difference. There is more than on stock design as far as exteriors are concerned. What accustock means is that theer is an aluminum frame molded into the stock and they require a special recoli lug. As an example, the model that comes on the weather warrior is designed for a sporter barrel and a bottom release. Others are different.

mudfish
    The web site does not provide barrel channel width info, all it says is Accustock Yes/No.

Local stores only stock 1 or 2 Savages if any at all, impossible for me to compare models in person.

So Accustock barrel channel widths DO differ?

mudfish
    What I really want is a model 11 FCNS in 243 with Accustock, then upgrade to a custom barrel with a slightly heavier semi-varmint profile similar to the 10 Predator hunter. Will that slightly heavier barrel fit in my model 11 Accustock, or will I have to widen the barrel channel to make it fit?

Does the model 10 Predator hunter use a sporter Accustock, or a varmint Accustock, or is it something in between?

stangfish
    FCNS sporter barrel inlet/accustock. Predator hunter varmit inlet/non accustock.

mudfish
    The mod 10 Pred Hntr Max-1 does have an Accustock. Is it the varmint Accustock wider, the sporter Accustock narrower, or do all the Accustocks have the same width barrel channels?
    Last edited by mudfish; 09-20-2013 at 01:10 PM.

stangfish
    Sorry. I was going by the Savage website.

mudfish
    Savage web site:

mudfish
    Several of the mod 10s have a med/heavy barrel with Accustock:
    10 Pred Hntr Max 1
    10 FCP-K
    10 Precision Carbine
    10 FCP-SR
    Last edited by mudfish; 09-20-2013 at 07:32 AM.

Basic Member
    Buy the cheapest model ten with or without the accu trigger and upgrade the stock and barrel. You can get an unfinished stock from boyds or stockys or Richards microfit very cheap. They are unfinished though you have a a fair bit of work but thats part of the fun.funding

mudfish
    I have no problem bedding a stock, done several. But I'm not interested in a wood stock, and there are no decent aftermarket hunter profile (non"tactical") type stocks made for to replace the newer Savages. McMillans are nice but $600 is out of my budget.

It was a lot easier to find an aftermarket stock the first time I bought a Savage, before they started moving the action screws and bolt release all over, causing manufacturers to stop making stocks for Savage...

It seems the new Accustock is ok, and it's probably the best synthetic option without spending $600+ on a McMillan or Mannors.
    Last edited by mudfish; 09-20-2013 at 10:11 AM.