Thread: Razor Disappointment

Basic Member

Razor Disappointment

Went to 1000 yd range last week and the Savages shot well, esp the 223 Hog Hunter at 700 yd. One guy was using a Vortex Razor and could not see his misses so we took a look and the eye box was small with very limited focus range. Scope cost more than my entire rig! Seems I heard this is a general rep for Vortex???

sinman
    Not from my experience, I use a PST which is a lot lower price than the Razor and I can spot misses at 1200+ yards. I know the Razor has better glass. I would say it wasn't setup right or something was really wrong.

Basic Member
    I have a couple vipers and a pst and have been thrilled with them. And I'm going to upgrade the vipers to the pst eventually also.

What do you mean by the eye box?

Basic Member
    Eye box describes the ability to easily see both a clear outline of the outer edge of the scope (you should see a uniform "shadow" around the entire circumference) and a clear reticle at the same time. Problem with this one was that the eyebox had a very critical, limited "field of view" so that upon recoil (and he was using a can on a 260, so not much recoil) you lost focus through the scope and it was difficult to regain it in time to see where the shot hit the dirt. Devin his first step is to send it back to Vortex to get checked out, but that is a major disappointment for a scope > $2000. I have a Viper that is ok, but I would say is also more critical in this regard than my other scopes. Hope he gets it fixed; Vortex has a great customer service reputation.

Basic Member
    ok, that is about the lines of what I thought you meant. So the eye relief was very limited on that one. Hmmmm

Basic Member
    Are you saying you can't see "bullet holes" at 1000?
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    Are you saying you can't see "bullet holes" at 1000?
    Oh no; I need to explain better. We were shooting steel targets on hillsides, and for competition you need to spot your own misses in order to make adjustments. The shooter could not spot the dusty impact points when missing the steel, in order to determine the adjustment needed, due to the limited eyebox of the scope. And this probably would not be a problem if shooting BR, thus again pointing out the need for very specialized equipment depending upon the application.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieNC View Post
    Oh no; I need to explain better. We were shooting steel targets on hillsides, and for competition you need to spot your own misses in order to make adjustments. The shooter could not spot the dusty impact points when missing the steel, in order to determine the adjustment needed, due to the limited eyebox of the scope. And this probably would not be a problem if shooting BR, thus again pointing out the need for very specialized equipment depending upon the application.
    i think sharpshooters shot was high lol.
    if the gun didnt have a muzzel brake try the scope on one that does.
    see if that helps the eye box problem.
    Last edited by yobuck; 09-21-2013 at 01:11 PM.

Basic Member
    I could be wrong but I really think the problem is "recoil management". While I know the Razor had a eye box problem at one time, I think it has been corrected? Anyway I have a Razor on my rifle and if I don't ride the rifle right I have problems but I know its my fault and not the rifle or the scope. The Hide has some good training videos on recoil management.