Thread: Model 10t? (Walmart)

Basic Member

Model 10t? (Walmart)

I was at Walmart today and spotted this rifle:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Savage-Arm...8-Win/29029182

It was priced at $499 without the base. I was just thinking about piecing together a stevens action 308 for long range shooting out to 1000yrds. The only drawbacks I noted when handling it was the cheap plastic molded stock which didn't have the vertical grip like I'd want and the mag assembly felt cheap and plasticky when removing and replacing. Positives for me were the 24" heavy barrel, accutrigger, beavertail forend, price, lack of cheesy side-button mag release, and matte black finish. I didn't mind the lack of base because I'd like to put a base with built-in MOA.

I am about to abandon my idea of trying to build my own and just pick this one up because it is so much cheaper than the build would cost. I would plan on eventually swapping out the stock with a tacticool or save up for a B&C.

Does anyone have any experience with this one? What kind of groups do you think I could expect with that rifle as-is? My main concern is that the barrel is "just for looks" and wouldn't result in the accuracy a 24" bull barrel should.

Thanks for your input!

Factory Savage barrels perform. Is it a full match grade barrel, no. But I have yet to run into a Savage that won't do 1 MOA with its preferred load. I have and have had several that 1/2 MOA was the norm.

My Savage 12FV in 308 with the 26" heavy barrel will do 1/2 MOA reliably. Once groups open beyond that I know its time to clean her. I would give it a shot and see. For shooting to 1K I think you will want a better stock to upgrade to, but otherwise give it a try.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

stangfish
    Chris. I dont have one or experience with it but a while back there were several guys on here praising it. One thing I remember is that they were not recieving the rail in the box. Savage was making good on them. If I remember it was either MR F or sharpshooter saying there was an issue with EGW. That should have been ironed out long ago. Good luck

Basic Member
    Thanks guys! Wow- if it is that price and supposed to come with the base that's an even better deal. This is getting hard to pass on... oh the wife's gonna be pissed. hmmmm I wonder if she'd even notice the difference between it and my hunting rifle....

storeyteller
    I have a model 12FV that is a 1/2 MOA shooter as well. I had planned on just using the action until I shot it, now I plan on shooting it til it won't shoot amymore then replacing the bbl.

At one time I tried to make all my rifles look basically the same hoping the wife wouldn't notice. Unfortunately, she could count...now she's my ex-wife

Basic Member
    Yeah.... my wife is an auditor so she is pretty good at counting. Thanks for the info on the rifle and the marital advice.

Basic Member
    Does anyone know if this particular rifle is a limited time run? I'd like to wait until next year to pick one up but don't want to miss out if it's some sort of special edition. The reason I'm concerned about this is because I couldn't find it on the savage website.

Basic Member
    Not sure but if it is at walmart, it could be a one time thing especially since you do not see it on the savage website
    There have been several of these type of offerings from distributors in the past that were available only from a specific distributor

You might be ahead getting it, if you want it, now
    Jack

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
    Chris. I dont have one or experience with it but a while back there were several guys on here praising it. One thing I remember is that they were not recieving the rail in the box. Savage was making good on them. If I remember it was either MR F or sharpshooter saying there was an issue with EGW. That should have been ironed out long ago. Good luck
    I was about to pick it up today but it didn't have the base, so I'm going to try a different store. I'm a cheapo. Do you think savage would mail me one if it was supposed to come with one but didn't?

stangfish
    They did in the past. I would not let that stop me.

brasse
    That is the only 24 inch barreled 10TR I have seen for sale in 3 months. GET IT NOW.

Forget about the scope base, get a 20 MOA base, hey the EGW 20MOA is a good price.

My 10TR has shot every load sub MOA and loves the 168 Hornady, 0.26 MOA

Basic Member
    I've owned several Savage Factory .308's all heavy barrels...EVERYONE OF THEM WOULD SHOOT UNDER .5"

Make sure before you shoot it to clean it with jb bore paste to get metal fragments out and such. Also one of my tricks in the past is to take a couple guns with you and carry in one extra,she never knew the difference.LOL
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

supergolfer18
    get it and replace stock with a B&C Medalist stock. You will like it

stangfish
    Quote Originally Posted by jonbearman View Post
    Make sure before you shoot it to clean it with jb bore paste to get metal fragments out and such. Also one of my tricks in the past is to take a couple guns with you and carry in one extra,she never knew the difference.LOL
    Tricky!

Basic Member
    looks like a model 10fp to me. Ive had several fps and they all shoot well under moa.

Basic Member
    Time to bring this thread back from the dead! I finally got the wife's permission and ended up going with the Dick's Model 11-VT which looks to be identical to the walmart rifle except with a standard bolt handle instead of the oversized one. I chose this one because it came with the Bushnell 4-12 scope for the same price ($499)

gixxum
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrazy-Chris View Post
    Time to bring this thread back from the dead! I finally got the wife's permission and ended up going with the Dick's Model 11-VT which looks to be identical to the walmart rifle except with a standard bolt handle instead of the oversized one. I chose this one because it came with the Bushnell 4-12 scope for the same price ($499)

I bought this gun in .223 and loved it so much I got the .308 and I have had nothing but issues with it (same issues as described in a few other threads). I will load a round, fire it and the case is now jammed to the point I have to use a cleaning rod and dead blow down the barrel to eject it. I've tried brass and steel all with the same results. If I load a round and just eject it unfired, you can see rifling on the bullet. I am contacting savage tomorrow to send it in. There is something wrong with the chambering.

gixxum
    I talked to savage today and they are having the gun sent to them (on their dime) to address the issue.

When I hit the magic number of rifles I walked right in under her nose she went down and counted one day.I was at over 200 rifles of sorts and then I had to do something fast so I bought her a new truck for mothers day.Problem solved and now she is my exwife but it wasnt over the guns.She shot too.Buy this rifle quick as it wont be there next year period.These are spec builds at a good price.If you dont want to have to pay for a 40.00 rail you are in the wrong sport.Building a savage is so much fun my other stuff just sits as they are alot of fun to build and shoot knowing you can do it at home.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonbearman View Post
    When I hit the magic number of rifles I walked right in under her nose she went down and counted one day.I was at over 200 rifles of sorts and then I had to do something fast so I bought her a new truck for mothers day.Problem solved and now she is my exwife but it wasnt over the guns.She shot too.Buy this rifle quick as it wont be there next year period.These are spec builds at a good price.If you dont want to have to pay for a 40.00 rail you are in the wrong sport.Building a savage is so much fun my other stuff just sits as they are alot of fun to build and shoot knowing you can do it at home.
    Thanks man! Not sure if you saw but look two posts above yours... I wound up going with the Dick's version. I got it zeroed with 147gr Federal commercial and just picked up my first few pieces of reloading equipment. I hope to get some loads developed soon for her!

Fortunately, after 20rds I haven't had any issues described by gixxum. Good luck Gixxum! Hopefully Savage gets you squared away. That sounds like an interesting problem. That happened to me with an AR but it was because I was shooting someone else's reloads that were crimped too firmly which screwed up the shape of the brass causing the brass to get stuck after firing. Were you shooting handloads when it happened?

gixxum
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrazy-Chris View Post

Fortunately, after 20rds I haven't had any issues described by gixxum. Good luck Gixxum! Hopefully Savage gets you squared away. That sounds like an interesting problem. That happened to me with an AR but it was because I was shooting someone else's reloads that were crimped too firmly which screwed up the shape of the brass causing the brass to get stuck after firing. Were you shooting handloads when it happened?
    I've only ever fired factory rounds. I've tries brass and steel and I have the same issue with both. I have the same rifle in .223 and love the thing. Never had a hiccup. But the .308 has just had this issue and I'm sure savage will take care of it. Their support team has always been pretty top notch. I will let you know the end result. The gun will arrive at savage tomorrow.

I own own the savage .17 hmr with the thumb hole stock and bull barrel also. I love this little tack driver. Again, never 1 hiccup. So I hope my .308 is just a rare fluke.

It's a great gun for a great price and I hope you enjoy the hell out of it :)